Animating Controls

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

DarrenCarter
Well Established Forum Member

Animating Controls

Post by DarrenCarter »

Now we have the first exporter released for 3DC and the Development Tool Kit I'm wondering how the animation of the controls and gauges is going to work. This has been discussed many a thread before in the pre-release discussions. Has anyone delved into the depths of this yet. I will be creating 3D Cabs for this sim and was just wondering if anyone has found anything out yet. I haven't even purchased a copy of the sim yet but i will be getting one on my birthday in December.
superheatedsteam
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Animating Controls

Post by superheatedsteam »

Darren,

You may want to download the developer docs from RailSimulator.com as there is some information on cab building that will help prepare you.

I have not read the cab-building document in depth but as I understand it you will have to build the controls in 3D with animation key frames. Any animated objects are then exported separately from the 3D cab itself.

Then using the Asset Editor, cab templates are used to position and provide additional parameters to the animated controls and gauges.

Marek.
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

Thanks Marek. Have just downloaded the docs, now reading and digesting.
sp762
Night Watchman

Post by sp762 »

I have been reading the docs also, as the type of loco that I tend to produce will look silly with a default cab.

I'm a little confused about gauges - I have formed the impression that I'll need to create a 3D object for the needle, animate the sweep and then link that to - for example- speed states.

Is my impression correct?

Cheers,

Mike

Don't techno for an answer!
Proud to be a member of the Forums Moderation Team since 2002
DarrenCarter

Post by DarrenCarter »

From what i was reading that sounds quite correct. All gauge needle and handle objects look like they are exported and the sim now runs the animation of the objects rather than slide pictures. I'm not sure if the animated handles need to be exported as a seperate entity from the cab and then it's referenced to its correct position in the cab via the control file. Perhaps KUJU could enlighten us a bit more.
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

Hi,

Handles and needles need to be exported separately to the main body and other animated objects.
So if a handle has 3 moving parts hide everything but those 3 moving parts then export as an AI.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”