Cab Mouse control problems

Rail Simulator brings full and high detail 3D cabs to Train Simulation (though by no means the first to do so). Instead of using 2D images you can now create detailed 3D cabs with fully animated controls, here's the place to learn how.

Moderator: Moderators

MDIvey
Well Established Forum Member

Cab Mouse control problems

Post by MDIvey »

I have a working (if not finished) cab for my A4 now but I cannot get the control animations to work by mouse control. I've spent many hours over last month trying to solve this problem and had a lot of suggestions from helpful individuals but with no joy. Is their anyone who has successfully managed to export a Steam Engine cab from 3DC with working mouseable controls who is able and willing to offer any suggestions?

The only possibility I have left floating around in my head is that because the backhead is sloping that somehow its bounding bock is interferring with the control bounding boxes. I've already added boxes for the controls in the 3rd LOD to try and improve mouse focus but that hasnt made any difference.

KR Matt

Last edited by MDIvey on Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davveb
Established Forum Member

Re: Cab Mouse control problems

Post by davveb »

Matt
I'm afraid I can't specifically help you with 3DC, but I've occasionally had similar problems with Blender - i.e the control bounding box coming out too small or not at all. I hacked arround this by adding an extra "hidden" mesh to the control (just a small cube) outside of the cab area, and thus invisible. This seems to "fool" the exporter/RS graphics engine into allocating a sufficiently large bounding box for the mouse focus to detect.

Dave B

ps Cab looks great!
peterholton

Post by peterholton »

MDIvey wrote: I've already added boxes for the controls in the 3rd LOD to try and improve mouse focus but that hasnt made any difference.
Matt, I don't use 3dc, but haven't had any problems with mouse operation of controls.
However, I'm a bit confused about the above 3rd LOD bit: Cabs don't have LOD's, and everything should all be named as 1_0000_whatever

Don't know if that's what you mean,

Peter
MDIvey

Post by MDIvey »

Hi

thanks both for replies...

Dave your suggestion is certainly worth a try. I'm not sure how in 3DC you would make an object invisible as I believe you can do with things like MAX but there are places out of view that I could place a little cube that wouldnt be seen... I'll give it a try.Thanks for the suggestion

Peter... The docs are abysmal on the subject of Cabs but from others I've talked to (unfortunately mostly max users) they have an lod 2 (2_0000_xxxx which never gets used) then a 3rd LOD (3_0000) which just consists of boxes for the controls to help with focus. Whether this will work with 3DC I cannot say but i have tried with no additional LODs but that didnt work either.

KR Matt
eyore
Very Active Forum Member

Post by eyore »

MDIvey wrote:Hi

thanks both for replies...

Dave your suggestion is certainly worth a try. I'm not sure how in 3DC you would make an object invisible as I believe you can do with things like MAX but there are places out of view that I could place a little cube that wouldnt be seen... I'll give it a try.Thanks for the suggestion

Peter... The docs are abysmal on the subject of Cabs but from others I've talked to (unfortunately mostly max users) they have an lod 2 (2_0000_xxxx which never gets used) then a 3rd LOD (3_0000) which just consists of boxes for the controls to help with focus. Whether this will work with 3DC I cannot say but i have tried with no additional LODs but that didnt work either.

KR Matt
Matt

Invisible boxes are easy in 3DCanvas. Just create a box apply a texture and use the "Invisible" shader in the Railsim field.

I use this technique to create selection boxes around facing flora or for items that are too small to easily select in RW.
Phil

MDIvey

Post by MDIvey »

Hi Phil

thanks...I realized later what I said was pretty dumb... What i had in mind was what the dev Docs say about hiding mesh items before export in MAX...but as you rightly say It should be easy enough to create an invisible cube in 3DC. :oops:

Dave...i was just wondering about what you said...Can you clarify the following for me?... for a part that rotates like the reversing handle.... would you make the cube a fixed part and the reversing handle a sub part of that (i.e so the cube is not involved in the animation movement) or would you merge the cube to the reverser so it becomes part of it and rotates with it? and out of interest what sort of distance would you place the cube from the control part?

KR Matt
davveb
Established Forum Member

Post by davveb »

Matt

The "extra bit" is all part of the same control mesh, so moves as the control moves. I was probably being obtuse referring to an "invisible" part - I don't actually make it invisible with alpha or whatever, just hide it outside of the cab walls. Obviously you need to make sure it doesn't move back into view when you rotate the control. As I do modern cabs most of the controls rotate horizontally, so I position the cube just below the cab floor. For vertical steam cab controls you'd probably want to try behind the backhead.

Dave B

ps
I think the idea of LODs with cabs is that if the game graphics are set to a low setting for slow computers then the LOD 2 is displayed as the near LOD rather than LOD 1. I don't bother myself.
MDIvey

Post by MDIvey »

Dave... I think with the reverser (because of its multiple revolutions) I will have to either 1) make it invisible with alpha or 2)place it under the floor and make sure the combined radius isnt so great it shows when rotating... I'll try out your suggestions as soon as I get a chance.

Many thanks

KR Matt
MDIvey

Post by MDIvey »

I'm afraid that didnt fix the prob Dave...However I may have got to the bottom of it now...its looking promising anyway. It look as though the problem may have been related to the way I did the Cab shadow and some other bits of geometry.

All the same I'm grateful to you and the others who've taken the trouble to try and help. Thankyou all.

I'll post some more cab pics when i've finished the bits that are left to do.

KR Matt
CajunRon50
Getting the hang of things now

Post by CajunRon50 »

I'm having problems getting mouse control in my steam locomotive cab models also. The cab animations move fine with the keyboard commands but I can't get any mouse focus (Mouse control works fine with "commercial" locomotives). I've tried the "hidden" mesh suggestion but still can't get any response whatsoever.

I model using 3ds max version 6. Is it possible the exporter for that version doesn't support or create the "bounding boxes" correctly? Is there anything in the lua file that needs to be set? I don't have a clue what I'm missing. Anyone have any other ideas of what I might try?

Thanks in advance
javierfl
Getting the hang of things now

Post by javierfl »

Be sure that names of the piece (3 lods) animated in Max and name in pick transform name tag (in the blueprint) is the same.

Example
- Name of lods in max: 1_0000_brake, 2_0000_brake, 3_0000_brake
- pick transform name: brake

Sorry my bad English

Javier.-

Return to “[RS] Cab View Creation”