Error (1000). ? please insert the original disk?

General discussion about Rail Simulator that doesn't really fit in to any specific category. A good place to start if you're not sure what category it should fit in to as well.

Moderator: Moderators

overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Error (1000). ? please insert the original disk?

Post by overmarze »

6pm just started getting this????

Anyone else had this problem.

Offcourse the only disk i have is the original????
overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Error (1000). ? please insert the original disk?

Post by overmarze »

No worries its working again know but will post here if it keeps happening :o
johndibben
Bletchley Park:home of first programmable computer

Post by johndibben »

I had this appear once, retried and it worked and thought nothing of it.
Cheers

John
jetgriff
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jetgriff »

thats the screen I got when I 'backed up' the original disc, so not much point in backing up... funny how they recomend 'backing' up everything, but not the item that makes money.
peteworsley
Established Forum Member

Post by peteworsley »

The phrase "make sure you back everything up before installing/uninstalling our software" always makes me laugh - and it isn't just RS who say it. If you have a 500GB hard disk which is 75% full, where do you put this "backup" - and is life really long enough to do it every time?

Yet another legal cop-out - nuts, anyone?

Pete W
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Regarding backup: Normally, I would suggest CDs/DVDs. If you have so much, and it is all data and not programs for which you still have the original CD/DVD (and it not one of those programs which put the original on risk by spinning it all the time), then you might need a second hard disk. Backups on the same disk are a half-backed thing anyway (or less). They help against some cases of user errors causing data loss. But not against serious system problems.

Regarding the message shown by the OP, I got that once when I did some more clicks on other windows while waiting for the stupid routine to complete. So it is not a good idea to touch your computer while the secret/sacred software does whatever it does with the DVD, obviously it contains some critical timing issues.
Anonymizeruk
Well Established Forum Member

Post by Anonymizeruk »

It was always my understandanding that UK Law permits a person to create a 'working copy' of things, the idea being to preserve the original.

I'm happy to be corrected if this is not the case.

Cheers

Gaz
ratsarrse
Getting the hang of things now

Post by ratsarrse »

The disk is protected by SecuROM I believe. It has been known to cause people some problems in the past.

At least it's relatively benign when compared to the horrors of StarForce.
jkxx74
Been on the forums for a while

Post by jkxx74 »

The disk is protected by SecuROM I believe. It has been known to cause people some problems in the past.
Yep, I can confirm this - this is a SecuROM message that you will get if certain conditions are true on your system. If you have original game media but also utilize software which creates virtual disc drives (daemon tools comes to mind) then SecuROM can get suspicious thinking you're trying to emulate KRS through the virtual drive and pop up the above message. At worst I think a reboot should fix it, if not you may need to uninstall any software capable of creating virtual CD drives to get around it.
overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Post by overmarze »

Funnt thing is is that i have no software capable of creating virtual CD drives :o

Maybe its Vista messing around again :o
PaulH2
Very Active Forum Member

Post by PaulH2 »

The first thing to check is that the DVD is clean. Unfortunately, SecuROM can be very fussy about dirty or scratched disks (essentially it percieves the increased error rate due to the dirt / damage) as a copied disk. The real irony of this is that it artificially makes the disk more susceptible to exactly the problem taking a backup would solve (i.e. premature failure of the disk).

One other thing worth a try is to run a lens cleaning disk in your drive. The way many PCs are ventillated they suck air in from front to back of the case and most CD / DVD ROM drives are not very well sealed and so dust gets sucked in. You'd be amazed how much dust can build up in there in quite a short time!

Paul
Bringing Merseyrail 1980 back to life, slowly...

peteworsley
Established Forum Member

Post by peteworsley »

The final straw for me is that Rail Simulator is now complaining about me using emulator software for other applications - not for itself!

It's 23 years overdue, but Big Brother has finally arrived!

Pete W
mews1
New to the Forums

Post by mews1 »

with regard to this message,
My son was on one of the download sites he frequents (at 36 he's old enough to make his own decisions) and i don't condone their use, where he came across a copy of rail simulator complete with a file which allows you to use the game without the need for the original disc being inserted, and as he knows that i don't like having to use the original disc (as the more you use it the more likely it is to get damaged) he down loaded it for me. i tried copying the file on to my system and works great, I've kept the file and discarded the dvd it came on.
if the moderators are in agreement i am prepared to post the file on the uktrainsim site.

i realize it is not strictly legitimate but it's a good compromise and saves risking the dvd getting damaged as the program isn't exactly cheap
phill70
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!
Location: Basingstoke, where you just go around in circles and end up where you started.

Post by phill70 »

mews1 wrote:with regard to this message,
My son was on one of the download sites he frequents (at 36 he's old enough to make his own decisions) and i don't condone their use, where he came across a copy of rail simulator complete with a file which allows you to use the game without the need for the original disc being inserted, and as he knows that i don't like having to use the original disc (as the more you use it the more likely it is to get damaged) he down loaded it for me. i tried copying the file on to my system and works great, I've kept the file and discarded the dvd it came on.
if the moderators are in agreement i am prepared to post the file on the uktrainsim site.

i realize it is not strictly legitimate but it's a good compromise and saves risking the dvd getting damaged as the program isn't exactly cheap
Its not strictly legitimate, so therefore no.
Glyn Phillips
sniper297
Established Forum Member

Post by sniper297 »

What's really ridiculous is the fact that the crack for no DVD came out about eleven seconds before the game was released. These yo-yos still don't get that all the copyguard nonsense does is penalize the legit user, it don't even make a dent in the kind of piracy it's supposed to prevent. I'd be as rich as Bill Gates if I got a refund on all the games I've bought over the years that I lost the ability to play due to a lost or scratched floppy, CD, or DVD. I ever get ahold of the guy who originally invented that key disk idea, I'm gonna insert the original disc where he can really feel it.
:snipersmile: :shocked!:

Return to “[RS] General RS Discussion”