The worst bug for me is when the trains crash

General discussion about Rail Simulator that doesn't really fit in to any specific category. A good place to start if you're not sure what category it should fit in to as well.

Moderator: Moderators

damiende
Getting the hang of things now

The worst bug for me is when the trains crash

Post by damiende »

It's not realistic at all. I crashed into some rolling stock and the train acted like it was shot out of a cannon. This is something that I hope will be fixed in a patch.

Daniel
My review of railsimulator.

http://greydogmods.com/wordpress/?p=55
Neptune50006
Very Active Forum Member

Re: The worst bug for me is when the trains crash

Post by Neptune50006 »

If you want to crash things then I suggest you buy a car racing game. :roll: The main objective of a railway is to transport passengers and goods safely from A to B.
Gary.

"Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth."

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk

Check out the (slow) progress of the L&B for RW here
damiende
Getting the hang of things now

Post by damiende »

Yes but as in real life accidents happen. And when they do in this simulator, they should be a little bit realistic.

Daniel
My review of railsimulator.

http://greydogmods.com/wordpress/?p=55
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Post by jbilton »

damiende wrote:Yes but as in real life accidents happen. And when they do in this simulator, they should be a little bit realistic.

Daniel
Hi Daniel
I think is always been done like that, it certainly has in MSTS.
The difference is the camera view is locked.
Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
UpsideDownBox
Established Forum Member

Post by UpsideDownBox »

Realism?

Ok... do you want a follow up after the crash with news stories? How about public inquiries?

The aim of this simulator, is to simulate driving - not crashing - which, is very realistic.

The real people who drive trains do not attempt to cause accidents and so, you should seek to avoid it too.
"Home 8. Dined and worked. Planning conquest of Iceland for next week. Shall probably be too late! Saw several broods of ducklings." Alexander Cadogan, end of diary entry for May 4, 1940.
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

Unfortunately the crash graphic is also displayed...

When you accidentally derail on trailing points.

When two AI trains collide through no user intervention.

Or in a case I already posted, when I missed a "gate" (and who coined that expression for an action point anyway?!) on the S&D, pulled up adjacent to an AI train, not collided, which promptly exploded all over the landscape.

So while no one in their sane mind is going to drive a train sim to cause a crash, when it does happen the results in RS are, er, particularly unrealistic and over-spectacular!
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

It must be understood that there are many legal and political issues related to this situation than most people realise.

We are however interested in what peoples views are on the extent to which crashing/derailments/vehicle deformation should be, so by all means this is a useful discussion to take place.
stewart
Well Established Forum Member

Post by stewart »

Personally I would like it to be related to what happened in the sim IE if its just a simple slow derailment then thats all that should be shown, or if more serious at least keep the physics of the crash fairly realistic without the over exaggeration that we have at the moment. But I can also understand why some would rather have no crash physics at all. Perhaps an option to turn them on or off on the installation setup would be the answer, where off is the default.
Last edited by stewart on Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Stewart.
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

Well personally I see no need to see the actual collision at all. But what would be helpful is some information about why and where it happened, for diagnostic purposes. If a crash isnt the player service, but is between two or more AI somewhere along the route, a dialogue box containing the service information and location would be helpful for trying to fix it.

Thus "Your train collided with an AI train at location xxxxx xxxxx because you were off path", or " AI service xxx collided with service yyyy at location xxxx xxxx" is more helpful to me than a picture of coaches and rolling stock strewn across a landscape.
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

Lad491 wrote:what would be helpful is some information about why and where it happened, for diagnostic purposes.
Thats exactly what Rail Simulator does do.
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Lad491 »

Thats exactly what Rail Simulator does do.
Hmmm..... cant say ive spotted that myself Adam, but then I havent had that many crashes. Those I have had have resulted in a long crash sequence which ive probably been more concerned to escape out of than waiting to read any report.

Maybe the answer then is to either shorten significantly the crash sequence so the description pops up almost immediately rather than several minutes later, or as someone else suggested, allow people to turn it off completely.

At the UKTS roadshows, where ive used the Sim the most, its been pretty embarressing at times to have to sit there while the sometimes large audience watch stock bouncing back and forth across the projected screens.
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

Again, this is what Rail Simulator does do. I can only apologise that you dont seem to be experiencing this when such events occur.
BR7MT
Very Active Forum Member

Post by BR7MT »

I think the latest editions of MS Flight Simulator include crash models? In this case there are a series of models that depict damage occuring to the fuselage and wings. A similar thing was possible in CFS3. If a modeller wanted to they could include a damage model, but there are certain instances when doing so would be in very bad taste e.g. a Mk 4 set in GNER livery or any of the stock involved in the Harrow and Wealdstone accident.

A few of the Youtube videos of Rail Simulator show some seriously bad crashes resulting from low speed derailments that would simply never happen in real life. I think if any effort is put into the effects of a derailment or collision, then it would be best done on the low speed stuff that is a more frequent occurrance. Things like body swipes in depots or low speed derailments. A high speed crash could be shown for, say, 3 seconds before the screen freezes and gives a message syaing the train has crashed.

Certain games introduce equipment failures on a random basis - perhaps this would be a good way to achieve realism? For example, a derailment will occur after every x number of hours of game play (with x being a fairly large value, up in the 1000's).

Regards,

Dan
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried :)

My uploads
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Since Adam welcomes some more comments on this, these are my two cents.

We are at the crossroads of two paths to two disjunct customer bases again.

Some of the gamers want to thrash trains (as part of the whole game, not exclusively). There are also those who are mostly interested in destruction, just look at the list of top-selling titles which are mostly about destruction. These people want long and unrealistically interesting trash sequences, they want to upload them on YouTube and show them to all their friends.

Most amateurs of railways think that railway accidents of all form and shape are bad. At least they lead to damage and disruption of service, too often they lead to death of humans. They want a realistic trigger to the accident, but no graphical representation, at least not for the bad ones. This means, that I for one want the train to derail exactly when the sidewards forces become too strong (because I made a gross mistake), I do not want to derailments at moderate speed on trailing points, and when I go into buffers at 5 or 10 mph it may tell me that I am stupid and as a punishment get my game ended. If it shows me how the buffers give in or some frame of some wagon distorts slightly, it would not be worth the serious programming effort to get it right, but it would not offend me, it I had to see it. If I do something worse, just show me a box saying that I was very stupid now, with the full details of what KRS thinks that I did, so I can avoid it next the time.

I think that RSD management or strategic department or whoever makes the big decisions already find themselves on the floor between two chairs, or they are 10cm away from it. On the one hand, we read funny articles in professional magazines how KRS would have potential for professional applications, and on the other hand, we see cardboard trains fly high in historically delicate locations, most often without a fault of the user. (Drivers are not required to check switches on the mainline, and coupling a bit harsh can lead to deductions in pay, but not end of shunting operation.)
3DTrains
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 3DTrains »

The derailment model in RS works just fine - let's leave the crash fest to the kiddies in the racing genre. :roll:
Cheers!
Marc - 3DTrains

Return to “[RS] General RS Discussion”