RS Developer Tools Preview

General discussion about Rail Simulator that doesn't really fit in to any specific category. A good place to start if you're not sure what category it should fit in to as well.

Moderator: Moderators

RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

RS Developer Tools Preview

Post by RSAdam »

Having monitored the forums over the last month, we thought we should aid in clarifying what will be released on the Monday 12th November in the Rail Simulator Developer Tools. So here are some details for discussion over the weekend. Derek and myself will seek to engage in this discussion when ever we can this weekend.

What they do not provide at this time:
  • Any fixes or patches to issues found in Rail Simulator. These would come separately and be clearly marked as such.
  • The ability to create geometry. Plug-ins for various 3D applications are still in the hands of their respective authors, but are expected to appear shortly.
  • The ability to create textures. Although functionality to take files from various packages and convert them into the appropriate format are provided, and more are expected to appear shortly.
  • The ability to reverse engineer aspects of Rail Simulator either for improvement of the default, or investigation for creating ones own content. The main tool - The Asset Editor does not feature extraction functionality to pull files out of the game for editing.
  • A final set of documentation covering all conceivable elements of Rail Simulator that users may wish to indulge in. Creation of documentation is seen as an on going process to be undertaken in conjunction with feedback and requests from the online community.
  • Final state tools or documentation - RSDL may and conceivably will release updated tools and documentation over time.
What they do provide at this time:
  • The ability to create and implement new versions of any aspects of Rail Simulators in-game content.
  • Examples of various objects and models to aid in the creation of new content. Although this is not an exhaustive amount, more is intended to be release over time.
  • Documentation relevant to the example content as well as other aspects of Rail Simulator (including signal setup and scripting!). Again, this will not be an exhaustive list at first we intend to increase this resource as much as we can over time. We may even been superseded by the online community!
  • Documentation detailing suggested creation and implementation methods when developing new content for Rail Simulator.
  • Additional functionality for the Scenario Editor, providing the ability to:
    • Create much more comprehensive in-game objectives.
    • Create additional railway traffic to the player train, and give equal objectives for this traffic to undertake.
    • Edit and re-author scenarios present in Rail Simulator or obtained from 3rd Parties (bearing in mind that conditions apply to such actions).
Additional material available shortly:
  • Tutorial Videos, separate to the Developer Tools, but detailing how to use various tools within the World Editor. These are on going and we have a release schedule for supplying more over time. These can be found at: http://railsimulator.blip.tv
Last edited by RSAdam on Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
drwho200
Well Established Forum Member

Re: RS Developer Tools Preview

Post by drwho200 »

Thanks for this Adam! It looks good, the videos are helpful as well. :wink:
Current Projects: Cross Country Major for RailWorks http://uktrainsim.com/filelib-info.php? ... leid=21553
Neptune50006
Very Active Forum Member

Post by Neptune50006 »

I hope your download server is fully stoked up, with a full head of steam ready for the download frenzy that looks certain for Monday :D

Good videos so far. I'm looking forward to some of the more complicated issues being demonstrated.
Gary.

"Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth."

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk

Check out the (slow) progress of the L&B for RW here
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

Thank Crunchie it's friday.

The plan with the video's is to build up to the complicated tasks including scenario creation and use of RSdevTools.
We don't just want to dive in and lose people.
There are 20 videos due to go up on the track laying subject alone.

We managed to get one of our guys to do the voice over to help explain what’s going on, bless him, if only I could include some of his recorded bloopers...

Now this is going to be an ongoing process and not all the videos are going to be available at once, however we do hope to upload a new video every day or so.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
peterdore

Post by peterdore »

Thanks Derek and Adam...I must say I am finding useing the tools we have at present really easy :o
I mean an old . like me here I am adding bridges moving signals adding signal boxes putting stock all over the Route
S&D of course :D
I am certain that Kuju Railsim will be the one to go with....keep up the brilliant work :D

Pete Doré
Remember Lock and Block
----------------------------------
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

Great to see you'll probably be sticking with RS :).
stewart

Post by stewart »

RSAdam wrote:Create additional railway traffic to the player train, and give equal objects for this traffic to undertake.
This sound interesting. Does this mean we will be able to give the AI engines the ability to drop off and pick up wagons? For instance an engine drops its train in the sidings and then goes to shed leaving the player's engine to shunt the train. or players engine assembles the train then the AI engine comes and couples up and takes the train out of the yard. Or am I hoping for too much?
Cheers,
Stewart.
CaptScarlet
Very Active Forum Member

Post by CaptScarlet »

Any idea of a approx eta for monday ? :)

John
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

:)

If we told you all a time it would be bedlam... All I will say is don't rush your breakfast on monday morning.

regards

Derek
shuffer4
Getting the hang of things now

Post by shuffer4 »

These videos you have uploaded to that site....is their an assumption on your part that all Rail Simulator users have access to broadband or someat?
The videos will be available for download from your own site won't they?
Trying to watch one of the videos on my poor old AOL dial up connection....the video just kept stopping every few seconds.
Thanks.
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

All you do then is click play, pause and wait for it to all load and then press play.
MaxFreak
Established Forum Member

Post by MaxFreak »

RSAdam wrote:Having monitored the forums over the last month, we thought we should aid in clarifying what will be released on the Monday 12th November in the Rail Simulator Developer Tools. So here are some details for discussion over the weekend. Derek and myself will seek to engage in this discussion when ever we can this weekend.

What they not provide at this time:
  • The ability to create geometry. Plug-ins for various 3D applications are still in the hands of their respective authors, but are expected to appear shortly.
  • The ability to create textures. Although functionality to take files from various packages and convert them into the appropriate format are provided, and more are expected to appear shortly.
What they do provide at this time:
  • The ability to create and implement new versions of any aspects of Rail Simulators in-game content.
???

Clarification Please

~A~
skogizz
Getting the hang of things now

Post by skogizz »

RSAdam wrote:The ability to create geometry. Plug-ins for various 3D applications are still in the hands of their respective authors, but are expected to appear shortly

This is the main thing that needs to be released now. There won't be any "explosion" of the use of RS before these 3d-convert tools are released. We here in Sweden sits with about 15-20 3D-models that can't be used yet... The english and german models are fine but we want to convert our own models now. I first thought that the 3d exporter would come with the game, but no. Then I thought it would come now, but no. I guess you can imagine that's it kind of sad feeling you get when there just more and more and more waiting...

Please Adam or Derek answer this question. Why can't the exporter for 3D Studio be released now? 3D Studio have been used acording to old newsletters so the exporter should be fine right now.

Also, please give us a time frame, what is shortly. 1 week, 1 month or a couple of months?

Thanks.

/Fredrik
RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSAdam »

That would be one for Derek to answer im affraid.
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Post by RSderek »

Morning all,

Fredrik, I understand your frustration, and believe me i feel the same way.
There is a licensing issue with Autodesk at the moment that is preventing us redistributing the plugin at this time.
However we are working on it and alternatives. We know how important this issue is and we are doing our best to get around it.

OK, here are some options up for discussion,

3D canvas - It is an inexpensive alternative and we are working with Richard to bring this plugin to you soon.
Blender - We are looking into this however as it is open source we are finding the right people to do this is tricky. Anyone interested in working on this with us please contact me.
Stand alone app An app that can take a standard 3d format (with textures) to export it into our Intermediate format (IGS) Which means that the user would be able to use their art package of choice to create their objects. We have set the ball rolling for this, and hopefully have more news on this soon.

G-Max - We are looking into this too, but it may have the same issues with Autodesk.
Max - Mentioned above. (The documents on how to model locos and cabs in max will be released so at least you will be able to understand the process of how we did it.)

Another idea which we have thought about in the short term is to set up a process is if people have a legal copy of 3DSmax they can submit models to us and we would convert them and send them back.
Problems I see with this are
* - issues with the model: fixing them to work in the game, setting up the materials would be time consuming. It might be a process we can automate.
* - People not wanting RSDL having their source models.
* - What happens when people want to convert hundreds of models they have made (scenery, signals, bridges etc) We would very quickly run out of bandwidth.

When I have more informtaion on this subject I will inform everyone.

regards

Derek
Last edited by RSderek on Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “[RS] General RS Discussion”