Bath to Templecombe

General discussion about Rail Simulator that doesn't really fit in to any specific category. A good place to start if you're not sure what category it should fit in to as well.

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member
Posts: 4760
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by RSderek »

Tywyll wrote:I thought that too! Wonder if animated people on platforms can be adapted to make animated cows or sheep on loading docks?? Just thought of that. Actually a good idea...
You can have animated sheep,cows birds and dogs. In fact we did have them at one point, but we removed the skeletons and just had them as static objects.
(information of how to do this will be placed in one of the documents released on the 12th)

We had asome flocking code that meant the sheep ambled around too, however they would not stay within the boundry set due to a few bugs. This may make it back in at a later day if the bugs can be ironed out.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
clanker88
Getting the hang of things now
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:47 am

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by clanker88 »

On the 7f I think the sound may be a bug - or at least related to one.
I have the boiler pressure at 180psi
I move the reg to close to 50% and the steam chest goes upto 230psi (not sure how - or maybe its not the SC i'm seeing?)
I move the reg above 50% and now the SC has dropped back to 0psi and the sound gets suddenly louder.
I move reg up to 100% and SC is back at 230psi.

Something strange here?
clanker88
Getting the hang of things now
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:47 am

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by clanker88 »

I somehow feel silly claiming something is a bug thesedays - I feel like I should be jumping for joy when I find something which isn't buggy.
fgrsimon
Established Forum Member
Posts: 496
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:00 am
Location: Stroud, Glos
Contact:

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by fgrsimon »

[quote="Tywyll
rickloader wrote:Has anyone found that tender water level falls steadily even with both injectors off? About 1 gal/sec.
You've not left the water "taps" on have you? You need to close them when you close the injectors.
clanker88 wrote:at regulator 50% or more the chuffing sound is fine, but as you bring it below 50% the sound diminishes.
Yes that is the probable cause of what you are seeing - The Injectors have Water controls (Key K/Key L) ich control the flow of water from the tender to the Injectors and Steam controls (Key I/Key O) which control the water/ steam to the Boiler. If you have the Steam controls off but the Water controls on you will waste water. In real life there was some sort of 'dump valve' which dumped water on to the tracks in this circumstance
Forest Green Rovers - The Little Club on Top of the Hill
User avatar
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member
Posts: 6164
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2005 4:43 pm
Location: Jester's cell in ivory tower
Contact:

Post by AndiS »

RSderek wrote:
Tywyll wrote:I thought that too! Wonder if animated people on platforms can be adapted to make animated cows or sheep on loading docks?? Just thought of that. Actually a good idea...
You can have animated sheep,cows birds and dogs. In fact we did have them at one point, but we removed the skeletons and just had them as static objects.
(information of how to do this will be placed in one of the documents released on the 12th)

We had asome flocking code that meant the sheep ambled around too, however they would not stay within the boundry set due to a few bugs. This may make it back in at a later day if the bugs can be ironed out.
Unfortunately, this sounds like people would be controlled by some closed/inaccessible code, unlike the open signal scripting. This would be a pity. I really would like to play with that once the signals are done. The passengers and the animals.

I had one guy walk to the end of the platform (next to a HST, I guess), and stare to the distant forever, hands raise a bit like he would wait for his foe on Highstreet at high noon. For a cow, it would have been ok to stand there like this, for a modern day passenger it was a bit strange, mostly because he stop moving for good, like his animation ran its course, turning him into stone when his time was done.
User avatar
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member
Posts: 4760
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:19 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by RSderek »

AndiS wrote:Unfortunately, this sounds like people would be controlled by some closed/inaccessible code, unlike the open signal scripting. This would be a pity. I really would like to play with that once the signals are done. The passengers and the animals.

I had one guy walk to the end of the platform (next to a HST, I guess), and stare to the distant forever, hands raise a bit like he would wait for his foe on Highstreet at high noon. For a cow, it would have been ok to stand there like this, for a modern day passenger it was a bit strange, mostly because he stop moving for good, like his animation ran its course, turning him into stone when his time was done.
I am not sure how open the code/script is for the passengers on platforms, however i will find out and get back to you.

regards

Derek
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
mearle73
Been on the forums for a while
Posts: 293
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:52 pm
Location: Chapel St Leonards Via Ashford Kent

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by mearle73 »

Maybe then have the option for moveing p-way staff !
User avatar
rickloader
Well Established Forum Member
Posts: 675
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:11 pm
Location: Hampshire

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by rickloader »

fgrsimon wrote:[quote="Tywyll
rickloader wrote:Has anyone found that tender water level falls steadily even with both injectors off? About 1 gal/sec.
You've not left the water "taps" on have you? You need to close them when you close the injectors.
clanker88 wrote:at regulator 50% or more the chuffing sound is fine, but as you bring it below 50% the sound diminishes.
Yes that is the probable cause of what you are seeing - The Injectors have Water controls (Key K/Key L) ich control the flow of water from the tender to the Injectors and Steam controls (Key I/Key O) which control the water/ steam to the Boiler. If you have the Steam controls off but the Water controls on you will waste water. In real life there was some sort of 'dump valve' which dumped water on to the tracks in this circumstance
Thanks very much for the help, leaving the water on was the cause. I haven`t yet found anything to indicate water on/off and so it seems you just have to "shift/k/l" a lot. I`m aware excess water supplied to a working injector would overflow to the track; but I didn`t know that water would be wasted through a "dead" injector. I should have ample water now! thanks again Rick.
User avatar
Tywyll
Getting the hang of things now
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:57 am
Location: nr. Clitheroe, UK

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by Tywyll »

rickloader wrote:I haven`t yet found anything to indicate water on/off and so it seems you just have to "shift/k/l" a lot
Rick - when you're in the cab view (1) have a look around to the right hand side when you're pressing k (or shift-k) and down by your "feet" when pressing l (or shift-l). That will give you a visual indication of the position of the taps.
ratsarrse
Getting the hang of things now
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by ratsarrse »

ianm42 wrote:
A possible factor of thinking the chuffs are too rapid is that these days we are used to hearing trains on preserved railways, where train speeds are only 15-25 mph.

This is what they sound like at proper speeds:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 0929867420

8)
Thanks for that link. I think you may have a good point there. Steam was long gone by the time I was born, so all my experiences of steam locos have been of preserved railways. Also, the film/TV industry has probably done us a disservice by filming 'expresses' at slower speeds and making the trains look faster as well as overdubbing recognisable train sounds regardless of reality. So it goes.

Watching that video has made me realise something. I live next to the Midland main line and work next to the ECML. You would think that at some point in the last 5 years, I would have seen or at least heard some kind of steam-hauled train go by but I haven't. Not once. Now I'm thinking that I've just not recognised the sound of a steam loco at speed. Slow 'chuffing' would instantly draw my attention, but the noise in the video you linked but be completely indistinguishable from a heavy freight rumbling by from my double-glazed office. Arrgh. Oh well.

I also had problems with the injectors: took me a while to figure out how they work. Controls in general are a bit tricky in RS: quick key presses seem to be ignored, and you have to hold down keys a little more than usual to get them to work. E.g. just tapping the 'A' key will see the throttle/regulator move a bit before flicking back to its previous position. Holding down the key a little longer will see the control move, but this can quickly result in it moving further than you wanted. It's a little strange, actually: almost like controls are designed for devices other than the binary on/off keyboard keys.
User avatar
Neptune50006
Very Active Forum Member
Posts: 2149
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2001 12:00 am
Location: That place with all the roundabouts!

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by Neptune50006 »

ianm42 wrote:This is what they sound like at proper speeds:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doc ... 0929867420

8)
Great videos Ian. What a shame that KRS can't replicate the steam and smoke effects seen in them.
Gary.

"Perchance it is not dead but sleepeth."

http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk

Check out the (slow) progress of the L&B for RW here
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member
Posts: 10013
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:25 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by Lad491 »

When I used to run Tangmere on Dorset Coast on Msts I always used to think that at speed it sounded more like a diesel than a steam engine. Now i know it sounded exactly like that clip. :)
jonnysmooth
Been on the forums for a while
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:57 pm

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by jonnysmooth »

Just going back to the thread topic.... I've had the game since day 1 and have only run the Bath route. It's great :D

Jon
ratsarrse
Getting the hang of things now
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri May 24, 2002 12:00 am

Re: Bath to Templecombe

Post by ratsarrse »

Having said that I never witness steam locos travelling past either house or workplace, have a guess what happened last night? :D I was suffering from a bout of insomnia, and at just before 4AM, I heard the familiar sounds of steam passing by. Isn't that just typical?

Anyway, sorry for the brief diversion.
Locked

Return to “[RS] General RS Discussion”