Forge Digital

No holds barred (well, except common decency, and other standard Terms and Conditions type things 8-) ) forum, chat about almost anything you like! Including sport, trivia, games etc.

Moderator: Moderators

bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Forge Digital

Post by bigvern »

I wonder if anyone here had dealings with this web hosting company, who may have been used by others in train sim circles? They started off as a budget hosting company (I switched to them after M8 Internet went belly up) and all was well for a couple of years. Then I started getting erratic and eventually no connection to the domain email server, unable to use the control panel to update my web site (which disappeared) and eventually an advice from Nominet that the domain had lapsed. Finally I got through via email to a Matt Hadfield who told me the company was going through some transition but were sorting out arrangements to continue hosting.
At some point my site re-appeared and a few weeks ago I had an invoice for the hosting fees which I paid.
However if you visit their home page, https://www.theforge.digital/ there is no way I can see to access your account page, or to maintain the actual hosting and mail servers. The whole operation seems to have gone upmarket and a couple of notes via the contact page have not been answered.
About the only option I've got is next year not to pay the invoice and delete the site, which is kind of outdated these days anyway, but if there is a way of getting everything back up and working I would prefer to keep the pilot light on.
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Re: Forge Digital

Post by bigvern »

I still heard nothing from Forge and in the meantime had a Nominet reminder the domain was expiring. So I told them to cancel it as no longer required. Fired off yet another message to Forge advising them accordingly and to delete the site files from the server, no response to that either.

So the moral of the story seems to be, don’t use Forge Digital for any sort of web hosting or service, in fact I would be wary around any cheap hosting service now.
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

I can confirm not to touch Forge Digital with a barge pole. Things started well enough in 2019 but towards the end of that year, they were next to useless. Terrible customer service and continual excuses as to why work had not been completed. I left a more detailed review on Google with my experiences which seemingly prompted Forge Digital to delete their company entry on Google so no reviews were visible. Not good at all, stay clear.

Fortunately, I managed to get out whilst I still could and pass the project onto a reputable developer. I hope you manage to resolve things one way or another, Vern.
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

It's resolved itself hopefully by Nominet deregistering the domain address... which is now showing as a limbo screen.

ISTR receiving an email at some point asking for an outrageous sum of money, something like £500. That was when Matt Hadfield was still communicating with the customers and I think I got some blustered response about a mix up, with the promise they were sorting out the front end for hosting customers, which never happened. If they tried a move like that again, it would be straight to Trading Standards.

I lament the demise of GeoCities as that was quite handy for putting up a simple web page or two, but at this point I would rather be playing the sims than writing about them!

As an aside, although it's all but dead over there these days, weren't Train Sim Dev hosted at Forge?

Return to “Open Forum”