Chromebook not allowing downloads

No holds barred (well, except common decency, and other standard Terms and Conditions type things 8-) ) forum, chat about almost anything you like! Including sport, trivia, games etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MS302
Getting the hang of things now

Chromebook not allowing downloads

Post by MS302 »

I have posted this over a Trainsim.com,but hoping to reach a wider audience,am posting here also.:My chromebook has stopped being able to download files from e.g UKTrainsim ( and other trainsim sites).I have tried using methods suggested on the net but nothing works;I do not want to "powerwash" as it would destroy my access to every site and email I have ever used as the passwprds suggested by this wretched machine would be lost.
In urge everyone,NEVER USE A CHROMEBOOK" stick to windows.This machine has proved to be a lump of garbage (and that is being polite).

Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Re: Chromebook not allowing downloads

Post by Easilyconfused »

Post reluctantly approved.

I don't like approving posts like this that make claims and urge people to avoid products without giving any real information. Somebody here might be able to help you if you give us some screenshots and error messages.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
MS302

Post by MS302 »

I am sorry if my remarks offends,but this is just another defect of this hardware/software that makes life difficult when it should make it easier.There is no error message,and details of the download appear in a one character high box with details of the file I am attempting to download instead of a pop up box with details and download progress.I have just taken out premium membership ( by purchasing a CD ) and the problem started then.I have tried following the instructions on the site's front page re difficulty downloading but no joy.I have tried some other TS sires,Trainsim.com is OK as is TSSH.The device comes with no comprehensive operating instructions and it will not allow me to attach files to emails other than to those sent from my gmail address.I have tried all the methods found when searching for this problem except a "powerwash" which would wipe out all my passwords to every site I use.Never had this problem with Windows.
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Post by Easilyconfused »

You don't have to email the screenshot - you can simply attach it to the forum post quite easily.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Natsley

Post by Natsley »

Have you tried right clicking on the download button and then selecting "save link as".
Stan
MS302

Post by MS302 »

The box I refer to disappears too quickly,and I have no idea how to take a screenshot !
I have solved the problem by installing firefox.Apparently,many other browsers have blocked direct downloads !!
I wonder how long all of them will do the same,and what will happen to sharing content then.
lms6234
New to the Forums

Post by lms6234 »

So once again you're having problems with technology and it's everyone else's fault but yours!

(For more examples of this, do a search for "ragtimer" on trainsim.com.)
markpullinger
Very Active Forum Member

Post by markpullinger »

The right click > save as function works with most browsers - even those that block direct downloading.
MS302

Post by MS302 »

People jumping to conclusions,just because it does not work for me.Right clicking and either opening a new tab or window merely produces a blank page.Nothing to do with me,everything to do with the operating system on this machine over which I have no control.I merely asked why people have to change things when they are working fine in the first place,not blaming anyone for anything !

I solved it myself by installing firefox which still allows direct downloads.Strangely enough,I can still download files from TSSH and Trainsim.com without using firefox.

I know some out there do not like me for my views on OpenRails,but just reporting what I find happens on my system.My preference to use MSTS which does all I want and is simple to use.People tend to forget the KISS principle in everything! For example,I recently acquired a new leased car,same model as previous but with *improvements" which actually make it more awkward to operate some controls !

Return to “Open Forum”