Musicians of UKTrainSim

No holds barred (well, except common decency, and other standard Terms and Conditions type things 8-) ) forum, chat about almost anything you like! Including sport, trivia, games etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MrGronx
Getting the hang of things now

Musicians of UKTrainSim

Post by MrGronx »

I've had a bit of a curious thought enter my brain. Since UKTrainSim has over 27000 registered users, surely some of us might have interests in music was so as this niche hobby of ours. I just thought it would be nice to talk about that.

I'm a music graduate, and like singing in choirs and playing the violin.

What about the rest of you all?
johnbarron
Established Forum Member

Re: Musicians of UKTrainSim

Post by johnbarron »

I'm a mathematician by trade but I play the trombone in a local semi-professional symphony orchestra.
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Post by ashgray »

I bought my first bass guitar back in 1974 and have been playing in bands ever since; professionally for a while. I now own a full recording setup with guitars, keys, etc, and spend most of my spare time writing and recording.

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2Ghz Quad Core, Gigabyte Gaming Motherboard, 2 x 512Gb SSDs + 1TB SATA drives,
16 Gb DDR-4 Corsair RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6Gb RAM, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 64 bit
MrGronx

Post by MrGronx »

johnbarron wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:52 am I'm a mathematician by trade but I play the trombone in a local semi-professional symphony orchestra.
Wowee! Are you normally 1st, 2nd or Bass Trombone? Any favourite pieces in the repetoire?
ashgray wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:35 am I bought my first bass guitar back in 1974 and have been playing in bands ever since; professionally for a while. I now own a full recording setup with guitars, keys, etc, and spend most of my spare time writing and recording.

Ash
That sounds grand! Is there anything that you particularly like to respond to when writing?
johnbarron
Established Forum Member

Post by johnbarron »

I usually play bass trombone with the occasional foray to tenor and, once in a while, to alto.

Favourite piece is Bruckner's 4th Symphony (otherwise known as a piece for brass with string accompaniment).
MFMPorter
Well Established Forum Member

Post by MFMPorter »

I am a retired music teacher. I held several posts in secondary schools, but soon went into private teaching! I held Church organist/choirmaster posts for 30+ years, and still play on Sundays from time to time, subject of course to Covid.
MrGronx

Post by MrGronx »

MFMPorter wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:58 pm I am a retired music teacher. I held several posts in secondary schools, but soon went into private teaching! I held Church organist/choirmaster posts for 30+ years, and still play on Sundays from time to time, subject of course to Covid.
Grand that you can still play - I've only just been able to have my first bits of socially distanced singing and playing in months!

What was teaching in secondary schools like? My preconceptions of it are still coloured by my own experiences in a school (i.e. not pleasant at all!).
MFMPorter
Well Established Forum Member

Post by MFMPorter »

What was teaching in secondary schools like?

For me on the whole, frustrating, with too many "conscripts". Hard to generalise, but I really enjoyed my first temporary, one-term post back in 1982. Main responsibility was setting and marking mock "O" and "A" level music GCSEs. Had hoped to find more work in 6th form/F.E.Colleges, although I did do a bit of the latter in my freelance work.

Return to “Open Forum”