Keepin the kettle boiling

A brand new simulator announced from Microsoft based on the Flight Sim X engine. Note: Microsoft closed the ACES Studio on 23rd January 2009 thus terminating this product along with other Simulation products -Flight Sim and ESP.

Moderator: Moderators

CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Keepin the kettle boiling

Post by CaptainBazza »

Is it possible to see some more updated screenshots, thanks?

Cheers Bazza
CompanyNotch
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Keepin the kettle boiling

Post by CompanyNotch »

So you want more, eh? I guess that means you guys liked 'em.... :)

We are working on getting more screen shots ready to post. We're also hoping to do a video. I'm not exactly sure of the timing for this stuff just yet, but we're hoping it will be soon. You'll hear about it here when they get posted...

-Rick

Rick Selby
Lead Game Designer
Microsoft Train Simualtor

http://yardlimits.spaces.live.com
CaptainBazza
Has a sign reading.. Its NOT the end of the world!

Post by CaptainBazza »

I guess that means you guys liked 'em....
November's first understatement. Heh, heh. :lol:

Cheers Bazza

PS I think the first was Guy Ffawkes, who said: "I think this has the makings of a great big bang, did anyone bring the matches?"
growler37
Very Active Forum Member

Post by growler37 »

Hi Rick,
As the usa content seems to be at quite an advanced stage,are there any screenies of the uk, or EU locos, this is what most train simmers this side of the pond
are waiting to see,or am i presuming wrong, that there will be any uk content at all in msts2.
with MSTS it seemed the share out was,about 60% usa content,20% japanese,20%eu,will msts 2 be the same?
with thanks
kevin.
CORNWALL THE LAND OF PASTIES AND TREVITHICK! INVENTOR OF THE STEAM LOCO.
BUILDER OF THE WEST SOMERSET RAILWAY ROUTE FOR RS.
PENZANCE TO PLYMOUTH,MODERN,IN PROGRESS.
THE HELSTON BRANCH AND WEST CORNWALL IN THE 1950,S,IN PROGRESS.
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

As it seems the "World of Rails" system will deliver several thousand miles of UK and European route, the programme certainly needs something representative for the UK and Europe...

Cue the usual wishlist for the UK ( :wink: ), so far as Europe is concerned some UIC style 1970's/1980's passenger stock is pretty much go anywhere and you could take your pick from any number of traction types. A DB 218 would probably be a popular choice although the Nohab diesel had derivatives in Scandinavia and Benelux.
growler37
Very Active Forum Member

Post by growler37 »

:o Gosh! if a token loco from each country represented in world of rails is on the cards, them model builders will be very busy for next few years. :D
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

It will be an interesting logistics exercise, though not the first time as Auran kind of pulled it off for the first version of Trainz - albeit with a high preponderance of Aussie stuff.
johndibben
Bletchley Park:home of first programmable computer

Post by johndibben »

growler37 wrote::o Gosh! if a token loco from each country represented in world of rails is on the cards, them model builders will be very busy for next few years. :D
I'm expecting a class 08/37/47/50 and all of Devon and Cornwall laid out before me out of the box :)

And Bletchley of course but I won't sulk if my house isn't on it.

No one's been round to measure it up yet.

Someone did run a tape measure over my car in Bletchley station car park with a knowing smile and so I've high hopes it will appear :)
Cheers

John
growler37
Very Active Forum Member

Post by growler37 »

growler37 wrote:Hi Rick,
As the usa content seems to be at quite an advanced stage,are there any screenies of the uk, or EU locos, this is what most train simmers this side of the pond
are waiting to see,or am i presuming wrong, that there will be any uk content at all in msts2.
with MSTS it seemed the share out was,about 60% usa content,20% japanese,20%eu,will msts 2 be the same?
with thanks
kevin.
Hi,would it be possible if someone from the msts2 team could give me an answer to these questions,or is the
assumption that as i expected,that this will be a mainly usa aimed sim,i am not asking about world of rails,
can you tell me if there will be quality uk routes and stock out of the box,as this is what the majority of uk train
simmers want to know,or will it be" heres world of rails now go build it yourself ".
with thanks
kevin
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

You say you are not asking about "World of Rails" but surely that's the whole point of this product! Whatever your area of interest it will provide out the box some semblance of your favourite route whichever that might be. I'm sure given the popularity of train simming with the UK audience there will be something with an extra makeover as well.

Yes there are still questions to be answered as to how "WOR" will work but there still seems to be a mental blockage or lack of vision in some parts of the community.

You do not need to ask for specific routes as this product will have them by default!

:infinity:
johndibben
Bletchley Park:home of first programmable computer

Post by johndibben »

bigvern wrote:You say you are not asking about "World of Rails" but surely that's the whole point of this product! Whatever your area of interest it will provide out the box some semblance of your favourite route whichever that might be. I'm sure given the popularity of train simming with the UK audience there will be something with an extra makeover as well.

Yes there are still questions to be answered as to how "WOR" will work but there still seems to be a mental blockage or lack of vision in some parts of the community.

You do not need to ask for specific routes as this product will have them by default!

Common sense tells me that ain't gonna happen.

It's not so much a vision as a mirage.

Hopes are easily satisfied.

Reality isn't.

Questions about UK content go unanswered.

When they are, in a meaningful manner, with some evidence, then we can see what 'The World of Railways' actually means and it will appear as more than simply a slogan.
Cheers

John
growler37
Very Active Forum Member

Post by growler37 »

bigvern wrote:You say you are not asking about "World of Rails" but surely that's the whole point of this product! Whatever your area of interest it will provide out the box some semblance of your favourite route whichever that might be. I'm sure given the popularity of train simming with the UK audience there will be something with an extra makeover as well.

Hi,
the developers have already annouced some USA routes,so why not say if there will be any uk routes in the box also, its not lack of vision, its asking a legitimate question!
The developers are strangely quiet on this subject,a straight answer of yes or no is all im asking.
nothing i have read on this forum has convinced me that MSTS2 will not primarly be, a USA based sim as MSTS1 was,If the developers can show me some screenshots of a quality uk route and stock i will be only to pleased to eat my words.
CaptScarlet
Very Active Forum Member

Post by CaptScarlet »

From the reading of whats been released thus far WOR it does sound interesting and may have a lot of potential. If you want an idea of what a WOR route will be like then you need to look at FSX with its autogen which fills in the world based on land data. But whether the area you are looking at will be recognizable enough for the user and if that will satisfy most people is the big question.

I think that this is where some might or might not be disappointed. It then comes down to how good the data is as well as the tools that are to be used to fill out your area of interest. If ACES can get it all to work ( which Iam sure they will do there best ) and are open with the users about the detail to expect with the non developed rest of the world ( I think they will be ) then expectations can be managed to the benefit of the product.

John
bigvern
Chief Track Welder

Post by bigvern »

After the disappointment - supreme disappointment - of EARS I'm actually trying to remain quite pragmatic about MSTS2. At the moment there's no evidence either way of what WOR will offer. It could be that MS have somehow amassed a wealth of data and have 100 artists beavering away on structure and rolling stock construction to ensure each and every mile of route represents the prototype. Or it could be we get 100,000 miles of blue vector lines on the landscape.

Only time will tell...

However I do happen to agree that some more detailed information from Aces/MS would not go amiss - even if they can't announce specific routes some more details of how it will all work would be very welcome.
stonelance
Been on the forums for a while

Post by stonelance »

I can't say what high accuracy routes (HARs as we call them) we are doing. The reason all of the content you have seen so far is from the us is because that is just the first research trip we have had. I can tell you that there will be plenty of non-usa content. There are a couple research trips planned overseas and we have started some content and tech production work for Europe already. You will probably start seeing some of our work in the next few months. I'm sure the other routes will be announced once we have content associated with them to show off with it.

Personally I've been prototyping and producing a pretty flexible system for catenary, so we are definitely hard at work covering a lot of different areas.
Steve Heijster
Graphics Programmer
Microsoft Game Studios

Return to “Microsoft Train Simulator 2”