Rail Simulator Minimum & Recommended Computer Specs

The Rail Simulator forum was very busy leading up to the UK release on October 12th 2007, this is a read-only copy of those discussions for historic and review purposes.

Moderator: Moderators

RSAdam
Very Active Forum Member

Rail Simulator Minimum & Recommended Computer Specs

Post by RSAdam »

Hi Everyone,

We can finally release details about Rail Simulators hardware requirements, so here they are:

In order to install and play Rail Simulator, your system must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements
Operating System: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 512 MB
Video Card: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound Card: - DirectX 9.0c compatible
Hard Drive Space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game

In order to play the game as intended, your computer should match or exceed the following recommended system specifications:
Operating system: Windows XP with latest service pack installed / Windows Vista
CPU: Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent
RAM: 1.0GB
Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 3.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)
Sound card: Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ series from Creative Labs
Hard Drive space: 4.5 GB of space is required to install the game
g0tvl
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Rail Simulator Minimum & Recommended Computer Specs

Post by g0tvl »

many thanks adam for the information, its very much appreciated.

Stuart
tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tads1970 »

Reccomended pc specs are fine for the average user,most will have at least 1 gig of ram and a 256 meg video card,i do not have a 3 Ghz CPU though,would 2.2Ghz X 2 count as 4.4Ghz?,thought not :)

Thanks for posting Adam,appreciate it
jraaby

Post by jraaby »

Thanks for the info Adam.

That means that my 3 year old desktop (with an nVidia 7600GT put in this year) should handle it as should my dual core laptop (ATI X1400, 2GB memory). I'm not sure which will run it best since with MSTS the slower desktop wins (perhaps due to the graphics card and separate sound card).
RobertsN

Post by RobertsN »

Adam:

I'm on the verge (2 days away) from buying my next PC. One question not really answered by the Hardware Specs is:

Will having a dual core processor (Athlon X2 5600+ in my case) improve the game in any way? i.e. Does RS support and utilize multiple core processors?

Also, if using a 64 bit processor, will RS take advantage of the 64 bit bus and instruction set? Will RS performance benefit?

Thanks,

Nicholas
Nicholas Roberts
Patagonia
johny
Very Active Forum Member

Post by johny »

Thank you for that info, you've just saved me some money. I upgraded my computer when Vista was released, earlier this year and the processor spec' is below the minimum that you are recommending. An awful lot of folk are going to be extremely disappointed. I shall be staying with MSTS until such time as I deem it essential to upgrade to a higher spec' of processor. It would seem that anything less than a very high windows performance index for the processor in Vista then one is wasting one's time.

Whether or not I purchase RS and run it on my other computer under XP, the processor is above the minimum requirements, but, as for Vista, does not meet the ideal, is another thing.

John
Technical Authors Do It Manually

#WolvesAyWe
tads1970
Very Active Forum Member

Post by tads1970 »

RobertsN wrote:Adam:
Will having a dual core processor (Athlon X2 5600+ in my case) improve the game in any way? i.e. Does RS support and utilize multiple core processors?
Also, if using a 64 bit processor, will RS take advantage of the 64 bit bus and instruction set? Will RS performance benefit?
Hi Nicholas,

KRS will take advantage of dual cores with benefits in performance. :D

Daz
overmarze
Very Active Forum Member

Post by overmarze »

KujuAdam wrote:Hi Everyone,

We can finally release details about Rail Simulators hardware requirements, so here they are:

In order to install and play Rail Simulator, your system must meet or exceed the following minimum system requirements
CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
Video Card: 64MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 2.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)

In order to play the game as intended, your computer should match or exceed the following recommended system specifications:
Video Card: 256MB DirectX 9.0c compliant video card, Pixel shader 3.0 and above. (AGP and PCIe only)

Think Kuji adam has just tried to brake a world record in haveing developed a game that requires the highest specs ever needed for a computer.

Very Active Forum Member

Post by 220389 »

Yay i can run it just though.

But the strange thing is if you have an 2.2GHZ AMD processor it is the same as an P4 3.2ghz

Only lose out on the Gcard and memory but soon to get some new memory and an X1950Pro (AGP)
Last edited by 220389 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rising Storm -Name is in the credits :D - To Do scenario, where you go along at 50mph in a Pendo? Who would play it?
Anyone want to help in Play Testing future Rising Storm/ Ro2 Maps? If so please PM me.
jraaby

Post by jraaby »

tads1970 wrote:i do not have a 3 Ghz CPU though,would 2.2Ghz X 2 count as 4.4Ghz?,thought not
Where it says "Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 3.0 GHz or equivalent" I take that as meaning a single core CPU from before Intel Core 2 Duo/AMD Athlon X2.

A dual core 2.2GHz system is possibly equivalent to 4.4GHz but you could check the performance data here: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html - although it also depends on how the game uses the dual cores. Equivalent as in it would feel twice as fast in ordinary use (compressing lots of data/encoding video).

Pentium 4 3GHz systems have been around for several years and this seems to be recommended for Vista and KRS. If you have a 1.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo then it will most likely outperform a 3Ghz Pentium 4.
Last edited by jraaby on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RobertsN

Post by RobertsN »

tads1970 wrote: Hi Nicholas,

KRS will take advantage of dual cores with benefits in performance. :D

Daz
Great news thanks. Would you have any info or news on the 64 bit issue?

Nicholas
Nicholas Roberts
Patagonia
smkiller
New to the Forums

Post by smkiller »

I am surprised this game will support a GFX card with 64mb, from the pictures, it looks as if it would require alot more than that.
A question or two if i may:
1: Will this game support large resolutions such as 2560*1600 (And larger) for those with Large widescreens?
2: I noticed in a recent video, the Ageia PhysX logo, what performance gains, if any will we see if we use such a card?
3: Are SLI or Crossfire supported by the game engine?

Thank you for the information, its nice to know i can run it, with the exception of the resolution, so i can only hope.

Regards
Sam
Potoroo

Post by Potoroo »

KujuAdam wrote:CPU: XP - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 1.7 GHz or equivalent; Vista - Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon 2.6 GHz or equivalent
Do you mean Athlon or Athlon 64? The Athlon is a very old CPU, released in 1999. Even the first Athlon 64s were released in 2003.
220389 wrote:But the strange thing is if you have an 2.2GHZ AMD processor it is the same as an P4 3.2ghz
Quite right. It's misleading for software manufacturers to only give meaningful specs in terms of Intel. An Athlon 64 3000 (2.0Ghz) is roughly equivalent to a P4 3.0Ghz.
jraaby wrote:A dual core 2.2GHz system is probably equivalent to 4.4GHz or above
Absolutely not. Even if your system had no other processes running the overhead involved in managing multiple cores would mean you can never get 200% performance compared to the equivalent single-core.
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Post by phat2003uk »

overmarze wrote:
KujuAdam wrote:Hi Everyone,

Think Kuji adam has just tried to brake a world record in haveing developed a game that requires the highest specs ever needed for a computer.

More like Kuju are the first developer to actually being honest with their spec. Anyway, am glad to see that I match the recommended specification. I only exceed it in the RAM department though. I hope it'll still run well.
NeutronIC
Atomic Systems Team
Atomic Systems Team

Post by NeutronIC »

Also remember that Intel Dual Core GHZ numbers are lower than P4 numbers - as are the laptop Centrino chips, e.g. the exhibition laptops are 2.3ghz Centrino single core, but would be equivalent to somewhere between 3 and 4ghz of a P4 processor.

GHZ these days is too confusing - if it says P4 then it means just that, you can't use the same number for other kinds of chips even from the same manufacturer.

John, i'd be surprised if KRS won't run on your system if it can run Vista - can you PM me your specs?

Matt.

Return to “[RS] Pre-release Discussions”