Real World Reverser Use

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

Hipper
Getting the hang of things now

Real World Reverser Use

Post by Hipper »

I saw a video of someone driving a TS passenger train and when he stopped at a station he put the reverser into Neutral whist loading/unloading passengers. He was driving a Voyager.

Is this real world practice. I'd assumed you would leave the Reverser in 'Forward'.
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Real World Reverser Use

Post by coolhand101 »

With the train at a stand, it's the driver's discretion for placing the Reverser to Neutral. Trains fitted with a foot vigilance device will still activate at a stand, so placing the Reverser to Neutral will deactivate it.

On the older EMU trains where the Deadman device was fitted to the power handle, you place the Reverser in Neutral quite a bit!.

However, in modern times, it's compulsory to place the reverser in neutral when stopped at a red light.

Thanks
Hipper

Post by Hipper »

Thanks. I'll try to incorporate that into my game.
ReefGB

Post by ReefGB »

Interesting, nice reply coolhand101, I wonder does anyone know if the reverser in neutral deactivates the vigilance device in TS? (Sorry can't test this for myself right now as I work 4 on 4 off and I don't fire up the sim on my 4 on).
lenfish
Well Established Forum Member

Post by lenfish »

Yes, TS reverser in neutral does de-activate the vigilance device on the locos I've tried.

Regards,

Len
ReefGB

Post by ReefGB »

Thanks Len.

Return to “Real Railway Discussion”