Class 66 Double Header Start Up and Control

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

Hipper
Getting the hang of things now

Class 66 Double Header Start Up and Control

Post by Hipper »

If operating a double headed class 66 arrangement, what is the procedure for starting up the two locos and for setting up the control of both units?

Is each loco started up separately?

What do you need to do in loco 2 so that it can be controlled by loco 1 (e.g do you leave the reverser in, or leave it in a certain position)?

What needs to be done so that loco 1 can control loco 2.
ReefGB

Re: Class 66 Double Header Start Up and Control

Post by ReefGB »

When cold starting double headed AP Class 37's you follow the start up procedure in the leading loco only, the rear unit starts up at the same time, I don't know how (or haven't found a way) to force a cold start procedure in both loco's though (unfortunately), I'm going to assume this is a TS limitation (treats a consist as a singular entity) not an AP one so I guess it's the same with the 66's too.
Hipper

Post by Hipper »

Thanks but I was looking for what happens in the real world.
ReefGB

Post by ReefGB »

Ahh sorry, as I got here via "new posts" I failed to notice which forum section I was in, oops. :oops:
MS302

Post by MS302 »

Never had to work a train with two "live" Class 66 locos,but have had a 59 and a 60 which I relieved on the Colnbrook tanks one morning.After unloading the train (which I did with just one of them),I tried to put them back together on the now front end and could not get them to play;no multiple working,but the one inside has to have it's E70 (the bit of kit that operates the brakes with the PBL system) isolated otherwise as fast as you apply the brake,the second loco will release it !
I could not create a brake with either on the front,so had to leave one behind.
I had a ballast train with 2 59/2 locos at each end,they behaved themselves perfectly.Most unusual for 59/2,one of which failed on a return working because I could not create a brake after the brake test ! The secret with a 59/2 is patience after starting it up or after a brake test you just have to wait for the computer to decide it is going to play before you try to create a brake.Luckily,my instructor told me about this,but others gave themselves delays because of impatience.
With 66s you have to remember which control switches to have "on" or "off" on the control stand when attempting to start the diesel.

Return to “Real Railway Discussion”