Help to find old shunt signal

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

RsDany
Established Forum Member

Help to find old shunt signal

Post by RsDany »

Hi. Does anyone know where to find videos of
old manual switch shunt signal, with lever and which is rotating.
There exist different signals in many countrys, but many of them are almost same (with same mehanism).
I have lot of pictures, but not a video how that works.
This: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-rail ... ilters%3D0
Or this:
Regards,
RsDany
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Help to find old shunt signal

Post by AndiS »

Hi Dany, I don't have a video and I am sure the operator will stand in the view of such a video. So let me describe what happens.

1) When you lift the weight using the handle at the corner of the 7 in your picture, at first nothing happens. When the arm with the weight is upright, it gets in contact with the nose or short lever seen pointing up on front side in your picture. Only as you move the weight further to the right and down, the switch blades will move.

2) The axle that you see at the bottom has a little lever pointing up on the back side. This lever or finger is embraced by a U shape that is connected to the axle on which the lantern or signal is mounted.

The only picture I found where you see this U and the finger is this. They always take photos from the side same side, so you never get a good view of this.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hmblgrmpf/6147888659/

The finger is longer than the U. So the axle at the base moves some 60° but the finger pushes the U to make a 90° turn on the vertical axis.

On this photo, you can only guess this bit, but once you read my description, it can illustrate it a bit:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sreip/21452609932/

If you zoom in on this photo, you see the U and the finger in the sunlight:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/oxfordian/5566112498/

Hope that helps.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Post by AndiS »

Videos: I assume you already searched for switch signal and shunt signal in your preferred language(s) on YouTube. So all I can offer is videos in the wrong language. And you cannot stick them into Google Translate like you can do with written information, which is why I hate YouTube. :-?
(I know you can switch on subtitles, but you cannot copy them.)

English and French switch stands are different, videos in those languages will not help.

Anyway, here are two videos. At least the first should be of some help.

In the first video, a guy talks a ton in German but at 2:00 he actually moves the thing without covering everything with his body, which is not easy. And you clearly see the sequence of the movement of the switch blades which is a third topic that I did not cover before.

In the second, you see (at 6:00) the inside of the mechanics in the box besides the switch in case of mechanical remote control using two wires which is standard in central Europe. But there is no signal.

Lots of talking in Polish.

I hat to put the URLs at the end because the forum software inserts a warning that blends into the following text and all that is marked up as hyperlink, which makes it a bit unreadable. Marking it as code did not help and marking it as URL of course neither.

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.
RsDany
Established Forum Member

Post by RsDany »

Hi AndiS.
Thanks for pictures and videos! Also for good explanation.

The language is not matter. Only pocture are important to see mechanical details. :)
Regards,
RsDany

Return to “Real Railway Discussion”