Real World speed/speed limits

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

Hipper
Getting the hang of things now

Real World speed/speed limits

Post by Hipper »

I'm new to Train Simulator 2020 and I notice that if I want to complete the scenarios in reasonable accurate time I must concentrate a lot on the train speed. In particular if, say, the limit is 75 mph it seems I need to hover around 73/74. This often takes concentration and in some locos, particularly with the notched throttles (1 to 4 say) it seems that neither one throttle position or another will keep the correct speed. As a result I'm constantly moving the throttle to keep to 73 or 74 mph.

Is this the same in the real world? Do drivers spend a lot of their concentration on speed and throttle movements. If they go over the 75 limit to say 76 what happens? Is there a tachograph like device that will record this?

What is good practice?

I've driven vehicles on roads with speed limits and I never concentrated this much on speed.
coolhand101
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Real World speed/speed limits

Post by coolhand101 »

Basically, you are correct. You adjust the throttle to keep to the required speed. Another option is the speed set ( cruise control ), you set the required speed and the train will do the rest.

With the older EMU trains that use camshaft/resistances, you keep the throttle open when going uphill, even if this meant going slightly above the the required track speed ie 60 mph track on a 1 in 100 uphill, but the train will balance at 62-64 mph on maximum throttle!

Now days, all trains have black boxes on the NR system. Up to 1.9 mph over is the general norm for speedometer errors and driver concentration levels. You should be looking out towards the track, not constantly looking down worrying about over speeding by 1-2 mph.

Thanks
Hipper

Post by Hipper »

Thanks coolhand 101.
ttjph
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ttjph »

I think it's generally acknowledged that many scenarios have very optimistic timings, which require excessively aggressive driving to meet, with no allowance for good train handling or safety margins.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
i5-4690k | 16 GB | GTX970 | Win 10 64bit | h/k SoundSticks | 1680x1050
Hipper

Post by Hipper »

… and another question!

What is good practice for moving off, with normal speed limits. Do you start at 1 until some movement then 2, 3, 4. Or do you slam it straight into 4?

And on braking I get the impression that if you can keep to step 2 that is best and most comfortable?
ttjph
Very Active Forum Member

Post by ttjph »

I'm not a real train driver (other than a couple of 'experiences'), but I believe it's best to take up all the coupling slack gently (so Notch 1), then open up progressively from there. Notching down (at least on diesels) should be done in the same way, letting it settle to idle before moving to Off.

When braking, again progressive application is best. As you come to a stop, ease off the brakes to avoid a sudden jerk - with loco-hauled stock, aim (ideally) to release the train brakes completely as the train stops, then hold it on the loco brake.

To maintain control when setting off again, take power first then release the brake, and off you go!

If I've got any of that wrong, hopefully one of the pros will be along shortly to put me right. :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
i5-4690k | 16 GB | GTX970 | Win 10 64bit | h/k SoundSticks | 1680x1050
Hipper

Post by Hipper »

Thanks ttjph.
MS302

Post by MS302 »

I drove only freight,but yes when starting, the slack (even with buckeye fitted vehicles) must be taken up gently.The only exception was unloading aggregate trains at Brentford which is on an up gradient.It needed notch 6 to get the train moving without rolling back.I have also had this on running lines when stopped at particular signals.At a stand,never rely on the loco brake,a colleague of mind was caught out at Stratford because the train rolled backwards slightly on starting because he released the train brake too soon and the rear created a "signal passed at danger" situation on the reversible line.Train brake should be kept applied until ready to start again,never release the train brake until power has been applied.
Very Active Forum Member

Post by 749006 »

When driving Class 101 Blue Square Dmus the throttle was opened fully when moving off unless the rail conditions dictated otherwise

With newer Sprinters and pacers you have to wait for the Torque Converter to fill with oil before it starts moving
it's only a couple of seconds but it's noticeable if the driver opens the throttle 5 or higher the engines rev up and then drop back down

When we were instructed on the trains it used to be 1, 4, 7 on the throttle

Emus could be opened to full at a stand but with older style camshaft control you had to shut of to return to a lower power setting
So the drivers would give it Notch two to start then notch 4

Modern Emus the power handle is to adjust the Acceleration rate.
A class 323 which I used to drive would do the same maximum speed in any setting but it would take longer to reach that speed in a lower notch

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures

Return to “Real Railway Discussion”