Cambridgeshire (WIP)

Are you thinking about building your own route? or are you already in progress? Talk to the experts in here and find out the best way to do things!

Moderator: Moderators

Cambridgeshire (WIP)

Postby cunningn on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:52 pm

I've finally reached the point where I've laid all of the major track for my Cambridgeshire 1950s route. This is set at the end of the steam era and the beginning of the diesels. It covers the Cambridge main line from Royston through Cambridge up to Ely; the freight-only line between St Ives and Ely; and the passenger line from St Ives to Cambridge. At present about 70 route miles - with a mixture of straight (and level !) main line, some classic branch line and some industrial mileage. The line covers 22 stations - ranging from the tiny branch stations through to Cambridge itself - with loads of sidings and the tangled remnants of 3 major rail companies and their seperate infrastructure (LNWR, GNR and GER - plus representation from the M&GN).

Loading screen:

Track map:

Close up showing the layout of Cambridge station:

A working view of the north part of the station - plenty of generic buildings - no time or skill to do the real thing - help gratefully received ;-)

An early attempt at scenery - I'm sure I'll get better ...

And here is a screenshot of the crossing at Foxton on the line to Kings Cross:

Vast amounts of work still to do - next step is to re-lay parts of Cambridge station, then finish off the track layout at Ely.
I couldn't have got even this far without RWTools, RWDecal, RSBarns (embankments R us) and AndiS (for digging my route out of the merde after 2 months.

Any talented scenery or rolling stock builder out there who fancy a challenge :wink: - please PM me - I've got loads of interesting and unique items for you to make. :crazyeyes:

Regards

Neil
Last edited by cunningn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIP: Cambridgeshire Branch Lines - stage 3 in test - Kings Cross to Peterborough - scenario testing under way
cunningn
Been on the forums for a while

Re: Cambridgeshire (WIP)

Postby alanch on Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 am

This sounds very interesting - but I can't see the images!

I grew up in this period further down the GE mainline near Ponders End, so I look forward to seeing this, and do hope you get the rolling stock you need. I assume there's a long list of GER, LNER and Standard steam locos that you want to see - these are the ones that I remember: B1, B2/B17, B12, D16, K1, J15, J17, J19, J39, J69, K2, K3, O1, L1, N7, Britannia 4-6-2, Standard 4 2-6-0, WD 2-8-0.

There are a few photos on my website - link below.
Alan

My railway photos are back - you can access them from https://plus.google.com/photos/10506703 ... banner=pwa . Lots of steam and early diesels from the late 1950s and early 1960s.
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Postby cunningn on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:22 pm

Alan

Pictures fixed (my first post with pictures - it was less intuitive than I thought). Glad to hear that there is at least one Eastern fan on the site :D

Re rolling stock - yes - I'm hoping that some kind genius with time on their hands will step forward - my wishlist (in order of need) is Claud, B1, J15(17,19,20) and then B17 and WD-2-8-0. I'm confident that I can do the route (perhaps even get to do some scenery items) - but making engines is beyond me ! And without the odd Claud or Sandringham it won't really have the right feel.

Thanks for the link to your photos - some great shots - not sure I'll work down as far as Coppermills junction mind you !

Cheers

Neil
cunningn

Postby jp4712 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 pm

I have to say I'm very impressed indeed - please do keep up the good work.

Paul
Visit the Manchester Museum of Transport, the UK's premier bus museum
jp4712
Petulant Princess

Postby hertsbob on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:11 pm

Hi

Looking very good indeed. Very ambitious.

I'd also agree with your choice of preferred locos!

Best of luck and keep us updated.

Cheers

Bob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
Commander Arnold Judas Rimmer

Things have finally happened!
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.co.uk/
hertsbob
Very Active Forum Member

Postby drfish on Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:20 am

Having lived near Cambridge for my teenage years in the 80's, this will be on the list I'm watching out for.

Best of luck.
drfish

Postby alanch on Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 am

cunningn wrote:Re rolling stock - yes - I'm hoping that some kind genius with time on their hands will step forward - my wishlist (in order of need) is Claud, B1, J15(17,19,20) and then B17 and WD-2-8-0. I'm confident that I can do the route (perhaps even get to do some scenery items) - but making engines is beyond me ! And without the odd Claud or Sandringham it won't really have the right feel.

Thanks for the link to your photos - some great shots - not sure I'll work down as far as Coppermills junction mind you !

Cheers

Neil

I visited Cambridge a couple of times in the mid-1950s (before I had a camera) and loved that long single platform, right next to the loco shed. One class I forgot to mention was the E4 2-4-0s which were still being used on some of the branches up until 1958, I think.

You could post your wish list in this thread viewtopic.php?f=305&t=101607&start=120 with a description of what you are building - you might get lucky. :)
alanch
Very Active Forum Member

Postby cunningn on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Alan

yes - there was an E4 2-4-0 as station pilot at Cambridge. I didn't put it on the list as there were only 1 or 2 at any time - for me Clauds, Sandringhams and B1s are more important (though I won't turn my nose up if someone does an E4 of course !).
I'll try a post on the 'steam engines' thread - you never know!

Cheers

Neil
cunningn

Postby NickBradshaw on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:35 pm

I'll keep a keen eye on this thread, I'd love to see you make it as far as March one day, (my home town).
NickBradshaw

Postby cunningn on Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:55 pm

Thanks for the interest Nick. I'd love to do March - mainly for Whitemoor ! Is it possible to simulate hump-shunting in RW I wonder ?! On the other hand if I push out East to Newmarket then I add another triangular 'circuit' - ditto if I go south to Saffron Walden - decisions, decisions!

On the other hand..I've got another year of just completing what I've got so far :o

Oh well - better crack on.....
cunningn

Postby NickBradshaw on Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Come to March, come to March :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you do, there's the option to head off in 3 different directions, although Peterborough probably isn't really suitable as you're then in ECML territory. Wisbech has to be a forward option though with the possibility of linking back up to the run into Kings Lynn.

I am getting ahead of myself though, i'll be more than happy to have the route, whichever way you go.
NickBradshaw

Postby maxgoldstein on Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Definitely looking forward to this :bday:
maxgoldstein
Getting the hang of things now

Postby cunningn on Mon May 03, 2010 2:09 pm

I've diverted away from straightforward (?!() track laying and field creation to start creating my own scenic items - first major attempt is the Homepride/Fosters/Spillers Mill - so familiar to users of the station - I'll happily post it when complete - though how many routes will need a 6-storey flour mill with a castle on the top is anyone's guess :lol:

I'm also doing some minor stuff - trackside boxes, walkways etc:

And a basic version of the lifting shed (TBC)

My main learning point at the moment is in 3dC - getting things to export the right way up - and skinning with subtlety - all good fun !

Neil
cunningn

Postby antonyperks on Tue May 04, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice work so far neil, i'll have one of your ground frame cabinets when ready please..........just what i need :D
AMD A8-7650K, 64Bit win 10, 240GB SSD-TS2016,Nvidia GTX 960 2GB, 1TB HD,750W Psu, 19" AOC Monitor.
antonyperks
Very Active Forum Member

Postby cunningn on Tue May 04, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks for the encouragement - when I've got them pointing the right way up I'll try packaging and send them to you !
cunningn

Next

Return to [TS13-TS17] Route Building