Brighton ModelWorld 2015

This forum is to discuss past and future road show events, find out where you can see us next and maybe even join in and help!

Moderator: Moderators

Brighton ModelWorld 2015

Postby Acorncomputer on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:34 am

I cannot see that UKTS are listed as attending Modelworld this year. :(

-
Geoff Potter
Now working on my Bluebell Railway route for TS2017
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Brighton ModelWorld 2015

Postby Easilyconfused on Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 am

Correct. We are not attending.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Postby ianmacmillan on Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:36 pm

I was hoping to make the Brighton show my first overnight trip since my mother passed away.
But the Glasgow show is the same weekend.

Since I mainly wanted to say hello to the UKTS team, I am not too dissapointed they won't be there.

If it's got buffers it's Chain.
ianmacmillan
Very Active Forum Member

Postby scampispeedway on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi Geoff, taking to Peter at Peterborough last year, he told me how the charges for car parking at Brighton had increased
every year and this could be one the reasons for the non showing of our display.

Bob
scampispeedway
Very Active Forum Member

Postby RobertM on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:38 pm

There are a few, money is the main one.
Cheers, Robert :)
Fireman at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Steam Railway.
Second Valve simulation - https://www.facebook.com/secondvalve?ref=hl
RobertM
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:24 pm

scampispeedway wrote:Hi Geoff, taking to Peter at Peterborough last year, he told me how the charges for car parking at Brighton had increased
every year and this could be one the reasons for the non showing of our display.

Bob

Hi Bob

I can agree that the car parking charges at Brighton are eye watering and leave one a bit weak at the knees :o

As well as the cost, it does take a lot of time and effort to organise attendance at an event like this and there will come a point when the effort is just not worth it, and I guess that point has been reached by the UKTS team.

This does give me an idea however for next year. I see that The Spa Valley Railway and the Lavender Line both have stands at the show and for my own enjoyment I might be able to team up with one or both of them to demonstrate my versions of their Railways at the show. The Bluebell Railway also exhibit so there seems to be an opportunity there as well.

Something for me to think about :wink:

-
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Easilyconfused on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:59 pm

The car parking charges are part of it since it now costs £25 per day to keep a car at the Brighton Centre and we need at least 1 people carrier there to carry some of the crew and the kit to and from the venue each day.

The volunteers who pay their own hotel fees were paying out from £100 - £600 for the Premier Inn at Newhaven depending on when they booked. I did a quick check tonight and the spreadsheet says I spent over £5000 on hotels since 2008 for the shows I attended. In the early days Bron and myself shared a room but as she got older we went into separate rooms so double the cost.

The return on investment for UKTS has decreased as the business model changed. Steam changed the game. Pre-Steam when UKTS attended shows showing MSTS then there was an increase in members after most shows. That is not so apparent with Steam and TS20xx.
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Postby chaddockdk on Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:23 pm

I can fully support Robert and John's comments, the figures are in the ballpark for many of the shows and don't forget the travelling (effort and cost). You must also remember the effort in hauling the kit, Pete's car and I say that some brought PC's/monitors (using their Mums!!) and not just Laptops on your back. But please note the fun and interest didn't disappear, it just got pushed to a place where all of it couldn't continue in its present state.

I would like to think we could continue, but it needs to be different, we all know that.

Geoff, good luck and please let us all have a report on how you get on for next year.

Regards Duncan
part of the Chaddock Engineering group - trying to make things easy!
chaddockdk
Been on the forums for a while

Postby Acorncomputer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:15 pm

Geoff, good luck and please let us all have a report on how you get on for next year.

Although I should be thinking about retirement, it is going to quite a few years yet before the ink will run out in my pen, but I am aiming to create some more time to spend on my Train Simming hobby. I also quite like meeting people at shows and exhibitions and demonstrating my work, but shortage of spare time and unavoidable commitments have always been my master.

If I can plan well an advance and link up with the local heritage railways exhibiting at Model World next year, then I will be very happy.

Watch this forum :D

-
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby RobertM on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:13 pm

All may not be lost.

During mine & Mikes DIY show at Kendal we got a possible invite to another show
RobertM
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:21 pm

Just to say that I will be 'exhibiting' my TSxxx work at the Bluebell Railway Model Railway Weekend on the 27th and 28th June 2015 as usual.

-
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Return to UKTSLive! Road Shows