Replacing missing stock within TS ONLY

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Replacing missing stock within TS ONLY

Postby johnrossetti on Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi everyone. I often get this message at the start of some scenarios (and I’m not picking on any route in particular)
What I want to know is if I didn’t have RW_Tools to substitute the stock over (and I’m still trying. .HARD . . to learn how to do that)

HOW do you do it in TS ? What is the next move from the screen in the picture?
Click edit, I know, takes you into the scenario editor
BUT how do find where the missing stock is to replace it ?

I know how to put a consist by the side of another consist and drag the labels that are on the top of the consist over, but how do you do that from here when the original is missing? ? ?
Any advice gratefully received.
Cheers John
TS Stock Missing Options.jpg

PS I learnt today that when creating a scenario if you double click on the engine or tender you can set up the amounts of Fuel and Water to start the scenario with So ,,, you never stop learning !
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Replacing missing stock within TS ONLY

Postby black8 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:22 pm

Don't know exactly either John but it is more complicated than using RW Tools for sure. That's one of the reasons Mike Simpson invented it I guess. Swapping stock (and finding missing stock) is about the easiest thing you can do with RW Tools. If I were you I would try to 'master' RW Tools and use that! :D

Cheers,
Jos
'Why is it that the railway station is so far away from the village?'
The local pauses for a while, then replies:
'They thought it would be a good idea to build it next to the railway line.....'

(Dent Station on the Settle & Carlisle)
black8
Very Active Forum Member

Postby emrhd01 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi John,

HOW do you do it in TS ? What is the next move from the screen in the picture?
Click edit, I know, takes you into the scenario editor

Or you can press key 'F2' instead of clicking on the 'Edit' tab, this will 'temporarily' remove the items you are missing for that Scenario and allow you to run it (as long as it is not the Player consist that is the one of the missing items).

This work around was provided by DTG some time ago and works for the majority of the Scenarios with "missing rolling stock" items, however if the missing items "interact with the Player in some way in the Scenario, then you will not be able to fully complete it. Picking up some of the missing rolling stock items, say, coaches or wagons along the way by the Player, is obviously one of those situations.

Hope that helps.
Rob.
Better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all.
emrhd01
Very Active Forum Member

Postby 749006 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:42 pm

The problem being is you don't know in which train(s) the missing stock should be as you cannot see the train formations.
Another problem with a missing loco -
Say the scenario needs a loco you don't have - then when you start the scenario that pop-up tells you it's missing but there won't be an Icon to swap to another loco and it deletes the entire train.

It is worth learning to use RW Tools :)
Have a read of one of Mike's tutorials on Swapping Stock http://www.rstools.info/tutorials/SwapStock.pdf

Peter
http://peter749.piwigo.com/
My Railway Pictures
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gptech on Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:54 am

johnrossetti wrote:What is the next move from the screen in the picture?

Basically, firing up RW Tools.

You could open the scenario's ScenarioProperties.xml file and manually go through all the referenced stock checking that you have it or suitable replacements---editing that .xml to suit.
The Sceanrio.bin can be converted to an editable .xml version by dragging and dropping it onto serz.exe.

All in all, more work and harder than using RW Tools.

If you're having bother getting to grips with RW Tools there are plenty in here who'll go through a scenario with you, just post with details of the scenario and you'll be inundated with help!
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Postby johnrossetti on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks for all your answers.
I didnt know about the F2 trick. Very useful thank you "emrhd01". Odd ? Nothing in the TS2016/17 Manuals about that trick.

As for doing it in TS, I did think that idea was a non starter and I will get the hang of RW_T, reading (dyslexia) was never a strong point.

It just that wonderful feeling of anticipation when you say "ooow, I know, I'll play xxx scenario" start it and then find you need to close, TS open RW_T, copy the scenario and do some editing. PAIN. The F2 trick will solve that, I always thought F2 altered the original scenario for good and was reluctent to do that just in case I eventually got the missing stock.

I'ts too expensive to get new stock for every route each time they are published, as an example for, TWO recent routes alone I'd need to fork out £142.38 for 12 missing items of stock, overall I have a total of 573 missing items for all my 118 UK routes alone !!

Cheers and thanks, as always, for the advice

John
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gptech on Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 am

johnrossetti wrote:you need to close, TS open RW_T, copy the scenario

There's no need to fully close TS; as long as the scenario isn't running in the game you can just minimise the game to the desktop (use the Windows/start key on your keyboard if you're running at full screen) nor is it essential to copy the scenario. Makes sense to have a backup of it though if you're about to make major changes, but usually not for swapping "like-for-like" stock items.
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [TS13-TS17] General Discussion