The thread that made the Freeware Packs Happen!

Moderator: Moderators

The thread that made the Freeware Packs Happen!

Postby nobkins on Mon May 16, 2011 12:10 pm

This is something I have been thinking about for quite some time and the recent discussion in the "Freeware" thread and a comment by Darpor has prompted me to do something about it.

What I hope to do is get a collection of community assets together and release them as a freeware asset pack in a similar way that Derek did his station pack for the Route Building Challenge #2.

The plan is to ask members to make sensible suggestions about the types of assets they need for routes they are working on. Once we have plenty of suggestions a poll will be generated to allow people to vote on what they need. The point of the poll is to establish which assets are in the most demand.

Whilst this is going on I hope to get a group of asset builders together who would be willing to generously donate one or two items for the asset pack. I would also be very interested to have re-skinners assist by re-skining default assets or by helping provide variety to the assets donated by the asset builders. Anybody able to donate assets they have already created to the asset pack would also be most welcome.

I will document the donations so that the pack will include details on what it contains, how to find it in the world editor and of course give credit to those that donate anything.

If we can make this work then I hope that we can continue the process and make further asset packs every so often that group together the items that are in high demand. As a community we have a huge number of very skilled people. My skills (as yet) do not run as far as asset creation but I seem to be reasonably good at organising teams of people so I am hoping that this might be how I can help make this asset pack happen.

We will also need to establish the basis on which assets are donated which is obviously up for discussion. The aim is to produce an asset pack with as few restrictions on their use as possible thus maximizing their usefulness.

What Happens Next?
At this stage I think we need members to do the following:
  • Post their ideas on assets that people would need. These need to be generic things like "modern houses", "bridges" etc rather than "Leeds Station"
  • Asset creators to volunteer to assist with the first asset pack
  • Donations of assets that might already exist for routes that are WIP
  • Re-skinners to volunteer with providing variety by either re-skinning default assets or by providing more variants to donated assets

Please post your thoughts in this thread.

I sincerely hope we can get this off the ground. If enough members are willing to assist we could generate a fantastic resource for the whole community.

Jim
TrainSimDev.com The community dedicated to those who create content for any Train Simulator.
Includes: Free downloads via torrent or browser, forum browsable by all, membership by invitation (any member can invite someone)
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Freeware Asset Pack #1

Postby rivimey on Mon May 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi

Can I start off by saying thank you to all those who have the skills to make assets?

What I would like to see more of:

- Houses - all sorts, big/small, red/brown/cream/grey, country/town, old and young, detailed and basic.

- Detailed trees and shrubs - preferably 3d for close-up use

- 3d/close-up field grass - not just "texture" - but small; though we have grass assets, often the grass is too big for the context.

Many thanks
Ruth
Helping to build Cambridge Branch Lines in 1950 @ http://cambslines.ivimey.org
= - Personal : http://www.ivimey.org - = - Web Design : http://www.ivimey.com - =
rivimey
Everyone needs a hug!

Postby transadelaide on Mon May 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Perhaps a good start could be to invite people to incorporate whatever efforts were done under the RWfreeware idea that Darren started a while back? This would be an essential step for ensuring the efforts of Darren and the others who contributed are acknowledged practically and so they are not left feeling that their efforts were wasted.
transadelaide
Very Active Forum Member

Postby gavo01 on Mon May 16, 2011 12:29 pm

I would like to see more station platform designs, like the ones in the links below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... tation.JPG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ion_p1.jpg

I also think this could be extended not just to building the objects we require but also the texturing too. Something I'm not that good at.
gavo01
Well Established Forum Member

Postby nobkins on Mon May 16, 2011 12:47 pm

transadelaide wrote:Perhaps a good start could be to invite people to incorporate whatever efforts were done under the RWfreeware idea that Darren started a while back? This would be an essential step for ensuring the efforts of Darren and the others who contributed are acknowledged practically and so they are not left feeling that their efforts were wasted.

I am not sure why they would feel their efforts were wasted. The RWFreeWare idea was indeed a good one and I have indicated that this is where this thread has it's roots. I would love to have those members who made items for the RWFreeware initiative volunteer there assets. They would be very much welcomed.

Their efforts resulted in a number of free assets being released to the community which many have benefited from. I would hope they would feel proud that their idea (hopefully) developed into an ongoing project.
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Postby nobkins on Mon May 16, 2011 12:52 pm

As an additional note.

I would rather this thread did not turn into a wish list (which it could easily turn into!!).

I will collate the ideas into a poll that can be voted on to indicate what assets are in most demand. Please try to avoid requesting items that others have already mentioned where possible.

Thanks

Jim
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Varney on Mon May 16, 2011 1:00 pm

For the route I am creating, I would like to see the following:

Modern Image (British Rail) station signage kit (Waiting Room, Way Out etc.)
Modern vehicles.
Houses & shops.
BR Southern Region electricity substation.
Southern Region station buildings including canopies.
Improved footbridges.

Most importantly, we need a station nameboard creation tool!

I am willing to assist in creating these and other assets, however I do not have the necessary skills as yet.

Edit* Sorry, it comes across like a wish list :oops:
Last edited by Varney on Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varney
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Mon May 16, 2011 1:50 pm

I can adapt the signal box I am working on at the moment for The Lavender Line for general use so that can be part of the pack.

I am also creating a couple of Houses and a Pub that will look OK anywhere so they can go into the pack as well.
Geoff Potter
Working on Something, I will let you know when I remember what it is
The older you get, the better you get ... unless you are a banana
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Darpor on Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm

Varney wrote:
Modern Image (British Rail) station signage kit (Waiting Room, Way Out etc.)

I realise Jim doesn't want this as a wish list but I would also like a thread where route builders can request simple things, highlighting the above as an example. Of course these requested objects are not intended to be just passed on to the requesting author, but to be uploaded to the library, when ready, for all to use with the caveat of being able to be packaged in freeware routes.

More in reference to the part I quoted, I actually have all this covered in Cresston V4 when it is released, however, if some sort of modern signage kit is useful, I could do a seperate pack.
DPSimulation - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/ - Free High Speed Downloads of TS2012 Content

DPSimulation Blog - http://dpsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/ - News, Views & Development Updates
Darpor
Very Active Forum Member

Postby RyanT001 on Mon May 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Im not sure if this is the sort of file you'd want but, not so long a go I tweaked the .bin files of the default KUJU UK01 and UK02 platforms and uploaded a passenger-less version to the UKTS dowload server, feel free to use them if this idea works. (if you can - seeing as they are mods of default files)
RyanT001
Well Established Forum Member

Postby cowey2511 on Mon May 16, 2011 2:08 pm

As I have already stated, all my finished TPR assets are more than welcome to be used/reskinned/redistributed in a pack of this nature :)
As a suggestion, which leads on from Ruth's point (of having to download a whole route just for the assets) in the Freeware thread, it may be a good idea that each assets has its own .RWP therefore allowing the user to pick and choose what assets they would like to use, instead of clogging up their install with unessecary additions :)

Josh
Part of the Trans pennine Route building Team http://rw-transpennine.blogspot.com/
cowey2511
Established Forum Member

Postby Darpor on Mon May 16, 2011 2:14 pm

cowey2511 wrote:it may be a good idea that each assets has its own .RWP therefore allowing the user to pick and choose what assets they would like to use, instead of clogging up their install with unessecary additions :)

Josh

That can clog the Package Manager up though Josh, especially if some users wanted them all. I have also found that some people don't necessarily want one asset but as they progress through route building, they actually then do want it and so on and so forth.

An asset pack roughly the size of the one from RSC is not unreasonable I don't think.
Darpor
Very Active Forum Member

Postby cowey2511 on Mon May 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Darpor wrote:
cowey2511 wrote:it may be a good idea that each assets has its own .RWP therefore allowing the user to pick and choose what assets they would like to use, instead of clogging up their install with unessecary additions :)

Josh

That can clog the Package Manager up though Josh, especially if some users wanted them all. I have also found that some people don't necessarily want one asset but as they progress through route building, they actually then do want it and so on and so forth.

An asset pack roughly the size of the one from RSC is not unreasonable I don't think.

Good point well made...:)
cowey2511
Established Forum Member

Postby nobkins on Mon May 16, 2011 2:34 pm

cowey2511 wrote:it may be a good idea that each assets has its own .RWP therefore allowing the user to pick and choose what assets they would like to use, instead of clogging up their install with unessecary additions

I see where you are coming from Josh but I think I am leading towards a single pack that is easy for users to download (as a requirement for a route) and also a single resource for route authors. With the advantage that permission for the assets to be used and distibuted is automatically assumed for assets donated to the asset packs.

Whilst I am on the point of permissions. To make it clear. All assets are donated with the understanding that the author agrees that they may be used and re-packaged with any freeware route. It is best to be clear from the outset.

Of course authors would be free to upload their assets individually as well :)

Darpor wrote:I realise Jim doesn't want this as a wish list but I would also like a thread where route builders can request simple things, highlighting the above as an example.

Do you think this should be done in addition to the poll idea which is part of this thread? I was thinking to roll assets up into packs based on demand. The idea being to pool together similar assets based on what people are saying they really need.

I can see how this might result in delay for assets that don't quite make it into the most demanded list? As an asset creator do you think that others like yourselves are likely to pick out objects from such a list and create them. I sense that asset creators are already very busy making all sorts of assets and hence the idea of pooling these together. What do you think?
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Darpor on Mon May 16, 2011 2:38 pm

nobkins wrote:
Do you think this should be done in addition to the poll idea which is part of this thread? I was thinking to roll assets up into packs based on demand. The idea being to pool together similar assets based on what people are saying they really need.

I can see how this might result in delay for assets that don't quite make it into the most demanded list? As an asset creator do you think that others like yourselves are likely to pick out objects from such a list and create them. I sense that asset creators are already very busy making all sorts of assets and hence the idea of pooling these together. What do you think?

Well, I cannot speak for others of course but it is possible that I may see certain objects requested and do them. In a way similar to the one above about station signs, I already have several variations done so can put together a pack sometime soon, maybe add something to it and upload it.

In terms if packs though, its definetely a worthy idea. I mean, one thing that cropped up in the other thread and that is here already is housing, there is the first pack covered. :lol:
Darpor
Very Active Forum Member

Next

Return to [RW] UKTS Freeware Packs