Challenge No 2 - I have a question ..

New rules, new ideas. Geoff's first route building challenge was a tremendous success with some outstanding results - will you have a go this time?

Moderators: Acorncomputer, Moderators

Challenge No 2 - I have a question ..

Postby Acorncomputer on Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

Use this thread to ask questions about the Challenge
Geoff Potter
Working on Something
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Challenge No 2 - I have a question ..

Postby haddock1000 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:37 am

Q1.) What are the 'default assets' defined as? Could you say what boxes we are allowed to tick?

Q2.) If we create an asset During The Challenge, can we then package this with the route, and hey presto? Or would this count as an addon? (This asset wouldn't be uploaded to UKTS mid-challenge, it would only be available with the route.)

thanks,

chaddockdk
See what's new: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/chaddockengineering/
Now also on twitter! http://twitter.com/haddock1000
part of the Chaddock Engineering group - trying to make things easy!
haddock1000
Virtual Rail Engineer

Postby Trainguy76 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:48 am

A1.

Castlerock > Scenery
EisenbahnwerkRW > RollMaterial
German Railroads > RollMaterial, Hagen-Seigen
Kuju > RailSimulator, RailSimulator US
RSDL > Foliage01.

A2. The goal is for everyone to have the same assets available to them, so making something during the challenge would give you an "advantage" against the others.
Trainguy76
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:39 am

Q1.) What are the 'default assets' defined as? Could you say what boxes we are allowed to tick?

Q2.) If we create an asset During The Challenge, can we then package this with the route, and hey presto? Or would this count as an addon? (This asset wouldn't be uploaded to UKTS mid-challenge, it would only be available with the route.)

I will list the boxes to tick so that if all Challengers tick only those together with their own developer folder (just for the route template and loading screen) then everyone should be on the same wavelength. Complications may arise with rolling stock if re-skins of default items have been placed in the Kuju folder on your computer but not present on some other computers, but scenery should be the same for all of us.

You cannot include any assets that you have created even if they are packaged with the route. A compromise would be to make the asset available to everyone by getting it included in the Challenge Asset Pack but you would need to make the asset available before the start date so that it could be included in the Pack. Another way would be to publish an enhanced route after the Challenge which includes whatever assets you like.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby haddock1000 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:59 am

OK,

thanks,

chaddockdk
haddock1000
Virtual Rail Engineer

Postby prairie4566 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:55 am

If I was to make a fictional / based on real route, would I still need to worry about the DEM/Decal business? If so, any tips on overcoming the obstacles and getting DEM/Decals to work?
Steve
TS2015 Scenarios: West Highland Railway Extension. How - via Youtube vids. Why - because I can :p
http://www.chasewaterrailway.co.uk/
http://www.youtube.com/user/prairie4566
prairie4566
Very Active Forum Member

Postby AndyM77 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Will custom "Track Rules" be allowed to be included within the spirit of the rules or would these be considered an "Add-on"? :)
AndyM77
Very Active Forum Member

Postby danny3 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Will 3rd rail be featured in this challenge (as part of the assets?) ? (only so that any one could create a fictional 3rd rail route if they wanted?)
Current Projects
Some updates posted here (Sorry it is facebook) / Photos on Flickr (Trip Photos are the ones in order - still being updated!)
danny3
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:15 pm

If I was to make a fictional / based on real route, would I still need to worry about the DEM/Decal business? If so, any tips on overcoming the obstacles and getting DEM/Decals to work?

There is no requirement to include DEM raised terrain anywhere but you can if you want to. You can also use terrain decals if you want to (e.g RWDecals) but they must all be removed from the route before submission.

Will custom "Track Rules" be allowed to be included within the spirit of the rules or would these be considered an "Add-on"? :)

I appreciate that custom rules would be an essential requirement for the creation of a 'serious' route but for the purposes of this Challenge, only the default track rules can be used. We can get really tough in later Challenges, perhaps in a team event as suggested, but for this Challenge stick to the default assets.

Will 3rd rail be featured in this challenge (as part of the assets?) ? (only so that any one could create a fictional 3rd rail route if they wanted?)

I have to admit that at this stage I am not up to date on all default assets available. I thought third rail stock only came with the Isle of Wight route which we are not using, but if there is default third rail track (a lofted addition I believe) and default stock to run on it that everyone will have, then it can be used. I will be doing some research on what default assets are available and I might ask RS,com if they can provide me with a list of these but I think there are several thousands so this may not be practical.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby danny3 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Acorncomputer wrote:

I have to admit that at this stage I am not up to date on all default assets available. I thought third rail stock only came with the Isle of Wight route which we are not using, but if there is default third rail track (a lofted addition I believe) and default stock to run on it that everyone will have, then it can be used. I will be doing some research on what default assets are available and I might ask RS,com if they can provide me with a list of these but I think there are several thousands so this may not be practical.

I think that its only in the IOW route unfortunately but I was only hoping for it since I would have made a 3rd Rail route (being from the south) and it would (in my opinion) probably encourage a few more people to enter not only just for 3rd rail but for the underground routes as well!
danny3
Very Active Forum Member

Postby FoggyMorning on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

Hi Danny

What you can do if I understand the rules of the challenge correctly, is build a route using only default assets and stock and then after the challenge has been completed modify it by the introduction of third rail and other non-default items
So for instance the route you enter for the challenge may use class 166 DMUs as the main passenger trains, but after the challenge you would be able to add third rail electrification and replace these with EMUs
FoggyMorning
Very Active Forum Member

Postby danny3 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

FoggyMorning wrote:Hi Danny

What you can do if I understand the rules of the challenge correctly, is build a route using only default assets and stock and then after the challenge has been completed modify it by the introduction of third rail and other non-default items
So for instance the route you enter for the challenge may use class 166 DMUs as the main passenger trains, but after the challenge you would be able to add third rail electrification and replace these with EMUs

I know in the default Railworks you can have the track as electrified to 3rd rail but without the actual 3rd rail, so I'm going to just have to do that and add it in afterwards (even though it'll look a little odd :( )
danny3
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi Danny

I have been checking this out as far as I can and as you say, you can define the track as third or fourth rail but the actual additional rail loft seems to only come with the Isle of Wight route. For the purposes of the Challenge you will not be able to use the third/fourth rail loft but do not let that stop you from building a route that can later have the loft added.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby thompson9100 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Hi

As a newbe to route building, how do I tell what is default and what is not? I have a few payware routes and a couple of freeware routes installed. Do i have to uninstall these for the duration?

My best,

Dan T
thompson9100
Getting the hang of things now

Postby Acorncomputer on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi

There is no need to unistall anything. You will be creating a brand new route and you will limit the assets that you can use in that route by ticking only the Kuju developer folder in the object set filter and the RDSL Foliage pack in the RSDL folder. You should then only be presented with default assets to use in your route. I will be checking this out more carefully soon and put up some detailed guidelines with the rules but this is the general approach.

I suggest your first action is to try creating a new route template as a test because your own route template is essential to the Challenge. My tutorial is here - http://www.uktrainsim.com/index2.php?fo ... tebuilding and I think you need to put aside an hour or two to try it out. You will also learn a lot about how the folder structure works in RailWorks. Sometimes the images do not show up in the tutorial link I have given above and these are essential to understanding what you are doing. If they do not show up then get back here and I will give you a link to the original tutorial. Note that clicking on an image in the forum should take you to the original which in the case of my tutorials will show all the text clearly.
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Next

Return to [RW] Route Building Challenge 2