2 Monitors and dual Nvidia 580 GFX cards

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

2 Monitors and dual Nvidia 580 GFX cards

Postby andysenny on Tue May 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Can anyone help me getting these cards to work with Railworks3 and 2 monitors.

I cannot get the second monitor to do anything and when I try to adjust resolution to 3840x1080 it just says that settings are not usable.

I have also set monitor arrangement to 2x1

My native resolution is 1920x1080 on both monitors.

Thanks Andy
andysenny
Getting the hang of things now

Re: 2 Monitors and dual Nvidia 580 GFX cards

Postby mikesimpson on Wed May 30, 2012 12:02 am

andysenny wrote:Can anyone help me getting these cards to work with Railworks3 and 2 monitors.

I cannot get the second monitor to do anything and when I try to adjust resolution to 3840x1080 it just says that settings are not usable.

I have also set monitor arrangement to 2x1

My native resolution is 1920x1080 on both monitors.

Thanks Andy

Hi Andy,

I may be wrong (often am :-) ). However, unless you are running Windows XP (and why would you be with that sort of hardware), then you can only run RW on 2 monitors if you have the Matrox box attached. Windows 7 does not support the twin monitor configuration suitable for RW. - see http://www.matrox.com for details.

Mike
Mike in OZ - Author of RW_Tools & Route-Riter.
mikesimpson
Very Active Forum Member

Postby andysenny on Wed May 30, 2012 4:33 pm

Thanks Mike.

Yet another out of date facility.

Why on earth is it still there.

Regards Andy
andysenny
Getting the hang of things now

Postby Kariban on Wed May 30, 2012 4:36 pm

I'm an ATi user, but I think there's a driver setting in more recent drivers to work round that issue. You can apparently do it in ATi cards of series 5xxx and up, which is why I'm about to buy a new one...
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Postby lateagain on Wed May 30, 2012 6:14 pm

Purely out of curiosity .....why two monitors? Flight Simmers use THREE (if they're so inclined) but the use of "TrackIR" allows you to see what you look at in FS. It's a fraction of the cost, works whatever videocard you have and so three monitors become less of an attractive option. Why I question two is that the normal use in Flight Sim with three is Front, Left and Right. What do you look at on two? Not looked into whether TrackIR works with RW anyway? ....but if it does would that be better?

Geoff
lateagain
Very Active Forum Member

Location: in the real world! feel free to join me. West London

Postby Kariban on Wed May 30, 2012 6:21 pm

I have two monitors, it doesn't mean I use them both for RW. I can't run RW fullscreen on *one* monitor with two hooked up.. And no my TrackIR doesn't work with it either.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Postby lateagain on Wed May 30, 2012 6:38 pm

Kariban wrote:I have two monitors, it doesn't mean I use them both for RW. I can't run RW fullscreen on *one* monitor with two hooked up.. And no my TrackIR doesn't work with it either.

Oh I see. Shame about TrackIR? One of the best Simulation and game add-ons for years?

Geoff
lateagain
Very Active Forum Member

Location: in the real world! feel free to join me. West London

Postby Kariban on Wed May 30, 2012 7:51 pm

Someone did a TrackIR hack for RW2 iirc but I don't think it works with the current version. I have a germ of an idea about interfacing it with the cab camera via lua, but I'm not really very sure about working with the TrackIR software.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Postby mikesimpson on Wed May 30, 2012 10:32 pm

Currently I run RW in a window on one monitor while using the World Editor and use the 2nd monitor to run things like Directory Opus (an improvement over Windows Explorer) which enables me to quickly check out various Assets and pictures of them, along with my paint programs etc.

I have a 2nd PC also with 2 27" monitors controlled with the same keyboard and mouse so can run other utilities there if necessary. Great for route development etc. For those interested, I use Multiplicity Pro which gives the ability to control up to 5 PCs from a single keyboard/mouse and you can cut/copy/paste between all the Monitors. Saves a lot of time and effort.

Mike
mikesimpson
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [RW] General RW Discussion