Station Lighting Enhancement Pack - Armstrong Powerhouse

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Station Lighting Enhancement Pack - Armstrong Powerhouse

Postby keithmross on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:06 pm

In an ideal world the platform lamp assets etc would have been enhanced as part of the TS2012 release. That would have avoided the 'some have, some haven't' situation. Still, hats off to Richard - he has provided what was missing from the core game and the results are great for people who don't like messing with the editor.
keithmross
Well Established Forum Member

Postby hertsbob on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi

I think the wording on the website should be changed, personally, seeing as it's basically inaccurate...
Armstrong Powerhouse presents an enhancement pack for the station lighting on the 4 UK default routes contained within Train Simulator 2012.
This pack uses the new lighting technology in Train Simulator 2012 to light up the stations on all 4 of the UK default routes.

Perhaps I'm being pedantic (as per usual) but that's not really an accurate description of what the pack does, it seems. Or maybe I've missed something along the way.

Cheers

Bob
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!"
Commander Arnold Judas Rimmer

Good things are happening -
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.co.uk/
Although evolution looks a bit hasty in comparison...
hertsbob
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jimmyshand on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Personally I'd see it as a bonus if it's lighting up other stations on other routes! I was driving a late evening scenario on the China Clay route last night and as I approached one of the sheds to pick up a wagon I found to my delight it was beautifully lit up and cast an orange glow on my 37 cab as I entered the shed.

I can see where developers might be getting a bit twitchy but I'd rather this awesome pack has spread its light to other routes rather than just a few of the defaults. It's so good it's a shame not to be able to see it in other areas. I'm soon going to get bored of driving Ox-Padd and Newc-York in the dark and will want to "broaden my horizons"!
jimmyshand
Very Active Forum Member

Postby keithmross on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

jimmyshand wrote:I can see where developers might be getting a bit twitchy but I'd rather this awesome pack has spread its light to other routes rather than just a few of the defaults. It's so good it's a shame not to be able to see it in other areas. I'm soon going to get bored of driving Ox-Padd and Newc-York in the dark and will want to "broaden my horizons"!

It's not a question of getting twitchy, but it does make me think twice about what I can release and what I would now rather not, as the over-lighting of routes will likely spoil things for those with the AP pack and diminish/alter the effect I'm trying to achieve in the route.
Until the platform light assets get a makeover as part of the core upgrade, I won't be removing lamps from the 4 freeware routes I have lurking in the wings.
As ever, damned if you do, damned if you don't.
keithmross

Postby msey0002 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:45 pm

Don't have the pack, but is it possible to uninstall? Sure there will be a slight inconvenience of uninstalling each time you intend to drive certain routes, but surely the result will be worth it?
regards,
Mark
msey0002
Very Active Forum Member

Postby SuperTux on Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:21 pm

I have the pack and if there are any issues with it I would take it up with Richard, however he is pretty quick and usually offers fixes before I can finish the e-mail :). Anyway, if I have any problems with new routes and their lighting I would do basic troubleshooting and uninstall the pack first and then check...

Perhaps RSC should hire Richard then all will be solved :).
SuperTux

Postby quickthorn on Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:03 pm

msey0002 wrote:Don't have the pack, but is it possible to uninstall? Sure there will be a slight inconvenience of uninstalling each time you intend to drive certain routes, but surely the result will be worth it?

I think verify cache will set everything back to what RS intended, so any AP pack effects will be removed.

With the station lighting pack, AP supplied two patches: one is for all-day lighting, the other is for no lighting. They do what their names suggest. They were intended so that you can adjust station lighting in scenarios that span 6am or 6pm at the height of summer/depths of winter, as lights normally go on or off at 6pm or 6am regardless of the true lighting conditions.

I suppose these patches would be a workaround for those that have AP station lighting, and developers should put lights in assuming no AP lighting pack - but then I'm not a developer, so can't speak with authority.

Although I've bought some of these lighting and sound packs, and am pleased with the results, I would rather see things launched without needing extra enhancements, or with any AP improvements fitted and included in the price.
AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2 GHz CPU ~ Sapphire HD 6770 1 Gb GPU
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 Mb ~ Realtek AL889 onboard codec
Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz DDR3 8 Gb RAM ~ Seagate SATA3 1 Tb HDD
BenQ 21.5" 1920x1080 monitor ~ Antec Earthwatts 650W 80%+ PSU
quickthorn
Been on the forums for a while

Postby firetrap1 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:05 pm

I have been wondering how exactly lights interact with simulator time? take a point light for example, how would you control when the light shines and how long for???

can this be done on the rhs-flyout? it just looks odd having lights on during the day :-?

...suppose that it also looks odd having shadows during the night as well :D

chris
Scottish Born Scenario Writer
i5 Processor 650 (3.20GHz, 4MB) - 12Gb DDR3 (2x4GB) (2x2GB)Dual Channel - Asus GTX770 OC 2GB GDDR5
Asus Xonar D2 Sound Card - 750W Antec HCG (80+ Bronze)
firetrap1
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Traveller54 on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:14 pm

quickthorn wrote:I think verify cache will set everything back to what RS intended, so any AP pack effects will be removed.

Correct - see an earlier message in this thread from me (at least the Station files are)!!
[Intel i5-3550+3.30GHz/8Gb DDR3/EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti 1024Mb/1 x SATA3 120Gb SSD, 1xSATA3 2Tb, 1xSATA3 1Tb, 1xSATA2 500Gb/Win7 Ultimate 64bit]
Trav ..... :-)
Traveller54
Very Active Forum Member

Postby phat2003uk on Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:45 pm

firetrap1 wrote:I have been wondering how exactly lights interact with simulator time? take a point light for example, how would you control when the light shines and how long for???

can this be done on the rhs-flyout? it just looks odd having lights on during the day :-?

...suppose that it also looks odd having shadows during the night as well :D

chris

Unfortunately the three variants supplied in the pack are the only time options. All day/6pm to 6am/off.
Richard A Armstrong - Armstrong Powerhouse
---------------------------------------------------
Railway videos in High Definition:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phat2003uk
Railway photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richa2002/
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Postby tnleeuw01 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Darpor wrote:
tnleeuw01 wrote:
Not only do the lights go on in cloned routes, they even go on for me in the Port Road and the South Devon Banks routes!

As much as that is very impressive for an end user such as yourself, I am now beginning to realise this is going to cause no end of problems.

grin Actually I'm technical enough to understand how and why it all works :-) But I'm still as happy with it at the moment, end yes one thing is right: I really wish to play Railworks as just an end-user, not as a computer-hacker / techie guy :-)

keithmross wrote:
Darpor wrote:If I have used any of the canopies/stations in any forthcoming routes that Richard has modified with child objects, when I release these routes, for anyone with the lighting pack installed, there are going to be lights where I didn't intend there to be lights, or they are going to clash with any lighting that I have added making it too bright and completely destroying the ambience, which was the idea in the first place.

Seconded Darren,
This is already causing me issues... :-?
K

I was afraid of this and already had in the back of my mind to ask but never got round to it... And since it's such a niche product, the Station Lighting Enhancement Pack, I don't feel it's something that route creators should have to take into account when creating their routes and I don't want to bother people with my petty questions about it.

I think the best solution would be if RS.com could purchase the rights to this enhancements pack from Richard and put it in the next fixpatch that is published -- that would equally distribute the joy to everyone and there would be no more exceptions to take into account :-)

--Tim
i7 4790 3.6GHz, 16GB RAM, NVidia GTX770 2GB, 250GB SSD for Windows + TS2014
tnleeuw01

Postby phat2003uk on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:54 pm

Don't panic route builders, people can simply install the 'no lighting' patch when not using the default routes.
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Postby ihavenonamenoreallyidont on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:04 pm

keithmross wrote:It's not a question of getting twitchy, but it does make me think twice about what I can release and what I would now rather not, as the over-lighting of routes will likely spoil things for those with the AP pack and diminish/alter the effect I'm trying to achieve in the route.
Until the platform light assets get a makeover as part of the core upgrade, I won't be removing lamps from the 4 freeware routes I have lurking in the wings.
As ever, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Keith, your work is always fantastic. Might I suggest you assume people do not have the AP pack installed? I would imagine the majority of people who run your routes - and Darren's, for that matter - won't have this lighting pack installed. It's unfortunate those who have installed it will be affected in future but hey, that's the risk we all take.

I say this as someone who's a fan of AP and purchased many of their add-ons although I haven't bought this particular pack, admittedly. I don't want to potentially ruin the effect others seek to create.
Paul
http://www.dreamtheater.net/ - For your modern prog requirements.
Isn’t it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?” – Douglas Adams
ihavenonamenoreallyidont
Very Active Forum Member

Postby phat2003uk on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:06 pm

Just to be clear, people with this pack won't be adversely affected in the future if routes use their own lighting in combination with assets that the Station Lighting Enhancement Pack adds lighting to. They can just simply install the 'no lighting' patch when using such routes.
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Postby Darpor on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 pm

tnleeuw01 wrote:
grin Actually I'm technical enough to understand how and why it all works :-) But I'm still as happy with it at the moment, end yes one thing is right: I really wish to play Railworks as just an end-user, not as a computer-hacker / techie guy :-)

At least you know what I meant! :D

tnleeuw01 wrote:I think the best solution would be if RS.com could purchase the rights to this enhancements pack from Richard and put it in the next fixpatch that is published -- that would equally distribute the joy to everyone and there would be no more exceptions to take into account :-)

I agree that some enhancements, if not of a similar method should be in the core if the assets are available, which they are. However, I am not sure about RSC "purchasing rights". Rights to what exactly? It's their product, their assets, their lights. Why should they buy anything back?
DPSimulation - http://www.dpsimulation.org.uk/ - Free High Speed Downloads of TS2012 Content

DPSimulation Blog - http://dpsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/ - News, Views & Development Updates
Darpor
Very Active Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to [RW] General RW Discussion