RSC Route: London - Brighton

General discussion about RailWorks, your thoughts, questions, news and views!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: RSC Route: London - Brighton

Postby TheJRB on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:05 pm

I think the route's fantastic from what I've seen so far. A lot of time to be spent and fun to be had here.

Two things would make it perfect for me: better sounds for the 377 (although I do very much like the model itself) - I think this proves how important good sounds are to the enjoyment of a route; and more stock (319, 442 etc.) but definitely a FCC reskin of the 377 would be good and I'm somewhat surprised one wasn't included when a SE 375 was.
TheJRB
Getting the hang of things now

Postby RattyB on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:08 pm

First impressions..

Nice train to drive. Graphically pleasing to the eye most of the time - aircraft over Gatwick are a nice touch. It does struggle from Clapham to Victoria, and I am using a fairly high end pc (i7 with 16gm Ram and 2 x Nivdia 560s)

The sounds....dear me the sounds! That my friend is not a horn from a 377. There is not enough ambient or detailed sound to give one the impression that you are moving at speed - nothing when another train passes by. The sounds are really letting the route down. Still, it keeps Richard Armstrong in business I guess and I'm sure he'll be working his magic on this route. I assume RSC will refund me £4.99 when I get the eventual AP pack to replace the current effort...?

Cab sway is good, but is there superevlevation on this route in reality? If there is it's new and it can't be anything like the angle that the game depicts - especially when sitting in some of the stations. The passengers would need crampons to board the angle is so great.

It would be nice to see images appear on the CCTV monitors. I realise that is a very tall order, but it would be nice.
RattyB

Postby gypbrc on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 pm

I agree about the sounds on the 377. I listen to 378's arriving and leaving on the overground constantly, and although things started off promising, it kinda went downhill. A reasonable representation though, but could be improved.

I'm surprised that the pantograph version is included (pleasantly!) and consequently a little perplexed as to why the FCC livery wasn't included (particularly as RSC have had the connection with First Groups since RailSim days). Nevermind, it won't be hard to reskin that. I'm really looking forward to running 319's and 442 along the line now.

That's if my laptop doesn't explode any time soon :lol:

RattyB wrote:Cab sway is good, but is there superevlevation on this route in reality? If there is it's new and it can't be anything like the angle that the game depicts - especially when sitting in some of the stations. The passengers would need crampons to board the angle is so great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenpoo ... /lightbox/

I think the SE may be overdone slightly in some places, but certainly the northern half of the route seems noticeable for SE.
gypbrc
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Junafani on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

This is pretty awesome. Did tutorial activity and then I drove South Downs Splitter activity from London to Three Bridges. Whole route is superelevated and it has some big bank angles. I want to test class 390 there and see what happens. Sounds are pretty weird. Train has different sound when it it going below 20 mph and when you acclerate it changes to different sound. I do not know what sound Electrostar makes, so I am not sure how realistic this is, but since there are some complaining in this topic about sounds, looks like it is not realistic. :roll:

I had that blue title problem too and finally got it fixed after I restarted Steam. First I tried to clear blueprint cache and even verified files two times, but it didn't help. So if you have tried clearing cache&verifying files and it still doesn't work, try restarteing Steam.

I have i5 2500k, 8GB RAM and GTX 560 Ti and it runs well. I use 1024x768 in window and I have everything maxed except shadows that are on medium. Antialiasing is on MSAAx8. I should put RW back onto full screen someday...
Junafani

Postby gptech on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:18 pm

carldove1 wrote:and yet again I have had to raise a ticket with Steam regarding a problem with their software.

Technically speaking, it isn't Steams software---have you contacted RSC?.... support@railsimulator.com

carldove1 wrote:Have verified the cache files with no success

Have you cleared the cache as suggested in this thread? Missing signals would indicate a problem with the route, not any scenarios.

carldove1 wrote: it is unbelievable that software is released without it being thoroughly tested and checked

I'd imagine that the software has been tested, the definition of 'thoroughly' may differ from person to person, as may the hardware used and configuration of the system---no software producer/distributor can cover all the bases unfortunately so to make unsubstantiated claims about the testing is a little premature. It would seem (from reading other threads) that the Steam distribution service has 'thrown a wobbler' which may account for some not having all the assets downloaded so have you yet had a reply to your support ticket with Steam?
gptech
Very Active Forum Member

Postby PaulH2 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:02 pm

TheTazman wrote:Query for you guys who have the route now. Is there any sparking from the condcutor rail please?

Thanks.

Sadly, no. I'd really hoped this might have been included having been done for the Class 76 and 77 with Woodhead (toned down a touch perhaps) but it seems not.
Bringing Merseyrail 1980 back to life, slowly...

PaulH2
Very Active Forum Member

Postby transadelaide on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:19 pm

PaulH2 wrote:
TheTazman wrote:Query for you guys who have the route now. Is there any sparking from the condcutor rail please?

Thanks.

Sadly, no. I'd really hoped this might have been included having been done for the Class 76 and 77 with Woodhead (toned down a touch perhaps) but it seems not.

The problem with the conductor rail is that it's not a part of the track system like the overhead lines are. It is added separately after the tracks have been laid, and the program cannot detect that it is there since it is no different to any other scenery object.

Yet another reason that all future development on the current platform should cease so a new platform can be developed. A new platform would have a 100% new physics system, learn from Kuju's failings, and be completely unencumbered by Kuju legacy code or the need to retain compatibility with content developed for it.
transadelaide
Very Active Forum Member

Re: TS2012 - London to Brighton

Postby Basherz on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:35 pm

carldove1 wrote:I have just spent £29.99 on the above game including the 4CIG Southern add-on, and yet again I have had to raise a ticket with Steam regarding a problem with their software. The very first two scenarios I played (Electrostar tutorial and Burst Pipes) have all the signals missing. Then went on to try other scenarios with the same result. Have verified the cache files with no success. When you consider that you are paying almost the equivalent of a standalone product, it is unbelievable that software is released without it being thoroughly tested and checked. Sorry for the rant, but has anyone else come across this issue with London to Brighton yet?

In Steam, "Verify game cache integrity", that downloaded 50 extra 'bits' for me.
Chris
Basherz
Very Active Forum Member

Postby darkdj on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I really did want this, I really did. But the price, the negatives on the sounds and the fact the 4cig addon is just a reskin that, frankly, is slightly incorrect, makes me think i'll give this a miss until it pops up in a sale, as I really cannot afford it and cannot guarentee it will run on my poor old laptop. Thanks for your reviews, everyone, a good read indeed.
darkdj
Very Active Forum Member

Postby JCogman on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:05 pm

Just been exploring the route in the scenario editor and came across a couple of minor niggles:

1. I've tried but there doesn't seem to be a way to route a train coming into Victoria from the Up Slow over to Platform 8.
2. Only one stabling siding at Battersea Pier when there should be two.
JCogman
Established Forum Member

Postby shaun123 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 pm

Fantastic route, been waiting for this for a long time, having enjoyed it do much in MSTS.

Also, first bit of a 'network' rather than just a standard end to end route by RSC, which is brilliant, plenty of scope for so many scenarios.

I have a fairly high end PC, and have been getting around 25-30 FPS throughout the route, worst performance at Clapham Jn apart from that no problems.

377 sounds a lot to be desired, not awful, but that squealing is annoying below 25 mph.

An excellent route on the whole, superbly detailed - 8/10 in my opinion.
shaun123
Very Active Forum Member

Postby AshHill07 on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:16 pm

I run the game at a lower setting and wierdly the Class 377 looks much higher quality that other locos. But wierdly I don't seem to get a horn, at all. I don't know if its the sounds or something from my game but space doesn't seem to do anything. That and the fact that when I tried to use it on an overhead electrified line. The panto up icon lit up and the unit was able to move without issue. However the pantograph seemed to be spazzing out a bit on the roof. Going up and down repeatedly until I lowered it.

On the side of the route it looks fantastic, again even on lower settings, but some things don't seem to be right on the list of scenery priorities. I've got mine set to 4. Random trees and sign posts were loading in, but some bridge sections and tunnel arches wern't.

But despite all the niggles. I am enjoying it. Its nice to see a route that I used to take often. And a train that I still travel on often (Although FCC not Southern) and get a chance to experience them from a different view point.
AshHill07
New to the Forums

Postby jivebunny on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:25 pm

My last post on the subject as I realise this isn't what the thread's about. My reskin of the BR 4CIG into Southern livery is now complete and pending approval by the UKTS mods :)

JB
"Moving half of West London would be a ridiculous amount of work."
jivebunny
Very Active Forum Member

Postby FoggyMorning on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:33 pm

Very nice JB, will be downloading that when it's approved :)

I haven't travelled from Victoria since I was a nipper, so my knowledge of the prototype is, to say the least a bit dated; I wonder what people's thoughts on the superelevation are? It is very noticeable when driving and certainly adds heaps to the atmosphere, but I am also wondering if it is perhaps a tad overdone?
FoggyMorning
Very Active Forum Member

Postby whiterider on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:49 pm

FoggyMorning wrote:superelevation - a tad overdone?

Last time I travelled on this route (matter of weeks ago actually) you could certainly feel the super elevation. I don't think it has been overdone, it's just a bit more prominent in Railworks than in real life. I bet RSC have got the actual spec of each section with super elevated track!
whiterider
Established Forum Member

PreviousNext

Return to [TS2013 / TS2014] General Discussion