How to calibrate speedometer needle?

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

How to calibrate speedometer needle?

Postby clkgtr on Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,guys
Thanks for helping me about the digital speedometer.But now there's another problem- the speedometer needle is not accurate. I used a 7 frames of animation for the needle,following the tutorial from the SMM digital. When I adjust each frame according the error in game,but it does not work well.
So I wonder is there a method to calibrate the needle accurately.
Here is a pic.When the train reaches 400kmh,but the speedo needle does not reach the 400,Even I set the last frame to 400.(BTW,the trains top speed is 400kmh)
clkgtr
Getting the hang of things now

Re: How to calibrate speedometer needle?

Postby nobkins on Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:44 pm

I have seen this once. The cause was the texture was not aligned properly I think.

Yours looks ok though so from the screenshot though.
TrainSimDev.com The community dedicated to those who create content for any Train Simulator.
Includes: Free downloads via torrent or browser, forum browsable by all, membership by invitation (any member can invite someone)
nobkins
Very Active Forum Member

Postby DarrenCarter on Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:58 pm

Have you checked with the HUD display that you are actually reaching 400km.
DarrenCarter
Well Established Forum Member

Postby clkgtr on Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:57 am

Hi,there
I made some screenshots with HUD this time.
The problem is like this:0-50km/h section,the speedo needle works fine,very accurate.
50-100km/h section,the speedo needle is faster than the actual speed. It's 97km/h ,but the speedo needle points to 100km/h

from 150-200km/h section,the speedo needle is slower than the actual speed.It's 204km/h ,but the needle points to 200km/h.
And in the end the speed is 400km/h ,but the needle does not point to 400 !
So I wonder how to calibrate the speedo needle. Thanks
clkgtr

Postby DarrenCarter on Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:32 pm

OK! What you need to do is use sixteen frames of animation. You then need to assign a key frame to the second frame of animation and move the needle to align with 50kmh, at the fourth key frame of animation align the needle with 100km, at the sixth key frame align with 150kmh, at the eight 200kmh, the tenth 250kmh, the twelth 300kmh, the fourteenth 350kmh and 400kmh at the sixteenth. This will give you controlled accuracy across the range.
Key frames are easily assigned in 3DC which is what I use. Unfortunately, I can't help if you use any other modeling program.
DarrenCarter
Well Established Forum Member

Postby clkgtr on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:29 am

Hi,DarrenCarter ,
Yes.The needle needs linear animation.And I did just like what you said.Finally it worked
Thanks!
Best Regards!
clkgtr

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation