How to make digital speedometer in cabview

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

How to make digital speedometer in cabview

Postby clkgtr on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:46 am

Hi,guys
I am making a EMU' cabview.I saw the ACElA and many other locos have a digital speedometer display in Cabview. I have opened the acela engine .bin file to see the controls .It's a bit complicate, I just wonder know how to build models of digital speedometer and their animations ?I think I should build each number as individual objects,but how to position them,and set the animation?Could anyone give me some tips? Or is there a guide ?
clkgtr
Getting the hang of things now

Re: How to make digital speedometer in cabview

Postby DarrenCarter on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:20 am

That is a complicated one and as far as I'm aware, you will need to involve scripting.
You need to animate each digit by hiding it behind your speedo display and bringing it forward to show in one frame of animation. Do this for all ten 'tens' and 'units' digits for a speedo capable of 99mph/kmh or whatever script controller you use. They need to be accurately aligned or will jump about as the speed changes.
You then need a control value in the engine blueprint for each digit to work the animations and for the script to call.
All you do then is write the script to look at the absolute speed controller and trigger the appropriate animations when reached.
If your still interested I'll post my script to get the speedo working.

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.
DarrenCarter
Well Established Forum Member

Re: How to make digital speedometer in cabview

Postby clkgtr on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:53 am

DarrenCarter wrote:That is a complicated one and as far as I'm aware, you will need to involve scripting.
You need to animate each digit by hiding it behind your speedo display and bringing it forward to show in one frame of animation. Do this for all ten 'tens' and 'units' digits for a speedo capable of 99mph/kmh or whatever script controller you use. They need to be accurately aligned or will jump about as the speed changes.
You then need a control value in the engine blueprint for each digit to work the animations and for the script to call.
All you do then is write the script to look at the absolute speed controller and trigger the appropriate animations when reached.
If your still interested I'll post my script to get the speedo working.

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.

Hi, DarrenCarter
Thanks very much.I have made it work in game. Chris(Christrains' author) gave me some tips.
And the numbers don't need animation. in control values ,just select interior visible object would be OK.
Best Regards!
clkgtr
Getting the hang of things now

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation