Animating linked controls

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

Animating linked controls

Postby eyore on Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 am

The cab I am working on has an unusual configuration and I'm not sure how to set up the animation/control values, so any help appreciated.

As I hope you can see in the video, the train brake is vacuum and controlled by the "banjo" on the left. As the banjo rotates it pushes out the piston in the middle of its face to co-activate the loco steam brake, but it is also linked by the metal bar to the ejector on the right of the picture.

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.

I have animated them as a complete unit, as can be seen, and I assume the same animation can be used for the train and loco brakes control values, but as the ejector works in the opposite direction (open when brakes are off, shut when brakes are in running or applied position) can I use the same animation or do I need a separate animation, or something like an Interior Multi-Ref Lever?
Phil

eyore
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Animating linked controls

Postby Acorncomputer on Thu May 24, 2012 10:09 am

Hi Phil

Just to let you know that the video will not run as it is marked 'Private'

-
Geoff Potter
Now working on my Bluebell Railway route for TS2017
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby eyore on Thu May 24, 2012 11:14 am

Acorncomputer wrote:Hi Phil

Just to let you know that the video will not run as it is marked 'Private'

-

Thanks Geoff,

Its now public.
eyore
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Kariban on Tue May 29, 2012 1:52 pm

I would probably have scripted it, but that's an interesting idea using a multi-ref. As far as I know you can't have one animation shared across multiple controls - you'll just have two instances of the animation and they're tied to specific parts of the cab? - but a multiref is just a reference to other fully defined controls anyway. What I don't know is if a multi-ref can have controls with overlapping ranges. I don't think it's documented at all, so there's nothing to say you can't...

If it doesn't work, it's just a few lines of script instead.
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Postby eyore on Tue May 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Kariban wrote:I would probably have scripted it, but that's an interesting idea using a multi-ref. As far as I know you can't have one animation shared across multiple controls - you'll just have two instances of the animation and they're tied to specific parts of the cab? - but a multiref is just a reference to other fully defined controls anyway. What I don't know is if a multi-ref can have controls with overlapping ranges. I don't think it's documented at all, so there's nothing to say you can't...

If it doesn't work, it's just a few lines of script instead.

Decided to go the script route.

Well, to be accurate, my script guru is doing it. :D
eyore
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation