Class 421 "loudaphone" ugly buttons

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

Class 421 "loudaphone" ugly buttons

Postby Energo7535 on Tue May 15, 2012 3:07 pm

Generally the class 421 cabin looks nice but there is one thinf that makes me mad. To the left there is a very high quality "loudaphone" intercome and 2 ugly buttons on it "CALL" and "SPEAK". Don't know how they managed to make them that kind of quality but now I have to look at them all the time I "enjoy" the class 421. I found the texture file... Well, I can't do any repaints... maybe just "simulate" something :) To be short - after about 1 hr of tests I was not able to rise up the quality of buttons. It seems the texture file for them is made the way that high quality is not possible with it. I managed to make them look much more realistic but without text. Deleted all the work being disappointed with my text tests... Maybe someone could check and tell me if there is a way to make them look more realistic or not? Maybe not photo-quality like the "loudaphone" is but at least not so ugly...
Energo7535
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Class 421 "loudaphone" ugly buttons

Postby Energo7535 on Thu May 17, 2012 8:02 am

So nobody can help me in any way? I just thought that if a simple changing of texture file does not give good results... Just maybe because buttons "images" are too small there... Maybe it is possible to create additional texture file for them and make some changes in some other file for the whole thing to work correctly?
Energo7535

Postby Glen85 on Wed May 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Hi!

I'm new to this community and to this sim, so this might be way off, but ho-hum!

If you're able to open the texture map as an image and edit it, maybe you could try increasing the resolution of it, then editing it the way you want it, (with Photoshop, for example)? If the resolution of the image itself is relatively low, it will always look ugly, no matter what you do with it. Without seeing the offending texture or object, I'm not one hundred percent sure what's going on with it, so I might be wrong. I know that most of the time when a 3D object uses a certain texture map, you can change the resolution of that map without altering the positioning of the map on the mesh, so it should be 'do'able. I hope I've helped in some way, or that you manage to sort those damn ugly buttons out! :)

Take care!

Glen.
Glen85

Postby Kariban on Thu May 31, 2012 2:26 pm

Yes, you could just double the texture resolution. Failing that you can create new button models that sit on top of the old ones ( they're effectively scenery items, just set to internal view, there's plenty of tutorials about making simple scenery ).
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Energo7535 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Thank you! It was an excellent advise - I just doubled the resolution and now have the desired quality. Now... when it was so easy to start I want to make it BETTER = maybe someone could share a link to 421 cab where that "loudaphone" is visible? I found the only 1 photo so far and those buttons on it look a little bit different from what we have in RW3 model.
http://www.hastingsdiesels.co.uk/news/articles/2007a01/20070205-76275cabinterior-Armitage.jpg
Energo7535

Postby Energo7535 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:31 pm

Well... After all... Replacig screw heads was easy and gave me great realistic looking results but those buttons... They were made the way I can't do anything to improve their look. Making text more crisp was not hard after I doubled the texture resolution to 1024*1024 but this was abs. not enough. Unfortunately after all my attempts I finished with nothing - still got something extremely strange right in front of me while being inside the cabin and simply can't stay "inside". Terrible. How RSC could made it this way I don't know. Emailed them asking for a fix but no hopes.... Maybe someone else will make this cabin looks realistic who knows :(
Energo7535

Postby coolhand101 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:21 am

Energo7535 wrote: Maybe someone else will make this cabin looks realistic who knows :(

The developer has this project on hold at the moment.
The actual thread is here http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=117109&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Thanks
coolhand101
Well Established Forum Member

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation