Altering camera angle in existing cabs...

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby OldThrottle on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Hello friends!
I would like to change the standard camera angle in some of my existing loco cabs. When jumping back into the cab from an outside view, I would prefer a slightly downward look on instruments and levers, without having to readjust the view again and again by mouse. I know, this can be done in the cab camera.bin file. Has anybody done this before? Which of the values (in camera offset, I guess...) is the camera angle?
Will it be enough to change the value in the cab cam.xml file - or do I have to de-compress and re-compress the .bin? Someone told me, decompressing and re-compressing is done with the "serz.exe",
but I can't seem to get it started. Double click on the icon, something flashes and ... :grab: ... disappears again, and that's it then.
Can anybody help and enlighten my puzzlement?
And by the way and just for information - why is there a .xml and a .bin of the same name, if one is not the "editor" of the other one, so to say?
Thanks so much in advance, any advice is highly appreciated!

Yours truly...
OldThrottle
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Altering camera angle in existing cabs...

Postby jands1 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:20 pm

Hi
I know how to do some moves in the cab - it is fairly easy to move the camera left or right and forwards and backwards. Moving backwards give a wider view and more instruments/controls. I have not established yet how to angle camera though.if you need to know how reply to this and I will post it but am not at computer with RW3 on at present.
To use serz I find the following works with Windows 7.

1 - go to folder containing bin file you wish to edit
2 - right click on bn file and choose (or locate serz - it is in the steam/railworks root folder). This should flash up serz very briefly and then you will have a xml file of the same name.
3 - edit the xml file as you wish with wordpad or similar
4 - save the changes in the xml file
5 - double left click on the xml file - serz will flash again and the bin file of the same name will be updated to the xml
NOTE - the xml file is always there and will not be updated if you update railworks from steam. However after an update you "new" bin file will have been replaced and you will need to do step 5 again.

No idea why they do it this way - no doubt they have their reasons
jands1
Been on the forums for a while

Postby deltahotel on Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm

I would really like to be able to do this, but for me it is a double left click on the .bin file to produce the XML.
I can then open this in notepad, and then alter the x,y,z values, and save that notepad, but ...
I cannot reverse the process to alter the original .bin file - just doesn't happen.
I have seen somewhere that this cannot be done with the current serz application, and I have also seen a U-tube set of modified values that someone has done for his Cabview from Class 37, 47 and others, so ...
It is quite easy to substitute a new .bin file, but can anyone make one available to lower my driver's eye level?
I'm on Windows7 and triple monitors, effectively a single screen 3840 x 1024.

Dave H
deltahotel
New to the Forums

Postby deltahotel on Mon May 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Since my last, I have seen elsewhere that the current serz app will not allow the re-save of a modified xml to the original .bin.
So I have now substituted used the older serz app from Rail Simulator, (and inserted the required msvcr71.dll) - still with the same result ... the serz flashes after a double left click on the .bin and produces an xml, which I can then edit in notepad and save, and then see the edited version of the xml, but how do I now save to change the original .bin ???
Would using the Mike S much praised RW_Tools make any difference since that appears to use the same serz ???
Any comments please, or should I just give up trying to lower/tilt my drivers' eye.

Thanks,

Dave H
deltahotel
New to the Forums

Postby DavidVI on Mon May 07, 2012 4:49 pm

I wish there was a quick and easy way of altering all the Class 37 cab views to be a bit lower!
DavidVI
Well Established Forum Member

Postby bdy26 on Mon May 07, 2012 9:40 pm

deltahotel wrote:Since my last, I have seen elsewhere that the current serz app will not allow the re-save of a modified xml to the original .bin.
So I have now substituted used the older serz app from Rail Simulator, (and inserted the required msvcr71.dll) - still with the same result ... the serz flashes after a double left click on the .bin and produces an xml, which I can then edit in notepad and save, and then see the edited version of the xml, but how do I now save to change the original .bin ???
Would using the Mike S much praised RW_Tools make any difference since that appears to use the same serz ???
Any comments please, or should I just give up trying to lower/tilt my drivers' eye.

Thanks,

Dave H

I've had no issue using the current serz on bin files today.

Drag the XML file over serz.exe and it will convert back. Or set up you application preferences to have both .bin and .xml to use serz as default. Install notepad++ (freeware, open source).... Then to edit the bin file just double click, right click to edit, save, double click the XML to convert back to .bin.

Or use RWTools, it makes a back up which can be useful.

B
http://bdy26.co.uk/sbhh/

Builder of The Cockermouth Keswick and Penrith Railway and Lancaster to Carlisle for RW; purveyor of dirty diesels to Vulcan Productions.
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Postby deltahotel on Tue May 08, 2012 11:47 am

Drag the XML file over serz.exe and it will convert back.

Well thank you for that response B. You've made an old man very happy. That did it just fine on the current serz.exe too.

Dave H
deltahotel
New to the Forums

Postby bdy26 on Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I didn't realise myself until a few weeks ago, I'd always used RWTools but notepad ++ is easier for bulk editing and checking.

Cheers

Ben
bdy26
Very Active Forum Member

Postby deltahotel on Tue May 08, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks again Ben - the default simple notepad was quite ok for my few numerical changes.

Dave
deltahotel
New to the Forums

Postby deltahotel on Sat May 12, 2012 3:48 pm

DavidVI wrote:I wish there was a quick and easy way of altering all the Class 37 cab views to be a bit lower!

Hi,

I wouldn't say it was exactly quick and easy, but if you are happy to edit a CabView .BIN file for the Class 37, as described in this thread, I can give you some figures that are working for me.

Dave H
deltahotel
New to the Forums

Postby johnrossetti on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 am

Hi if you want the numbers see my cab views on YouTube

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
To view the video, click on the PLAY button.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.

Diesels

This video is hosted by YouTube, a site which is outside of the editorial control of UKTrainSim and as such Parental Control is strongly advised.
If you click anywhere else on this video, you will be taken to a YouTube page, where you may find yourself subjected to content that you feel is offensive.
If you feel THIS video is inappropriate, please report it to a moderator immediately for prompt action.

Steam

DMU
Have not done EMU Yet
Cheers
johnrossetti
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation