class 442

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

class 442

Postby pingmaster on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:00 am

hi everyone
i am going to try and make a class 442 but i need some help with the cab and how to motorise it and also can i use the fgw mk3's

can anyone please help
pingmaster
Been on the forums for a while

Re: class 442

Postby JasVick on Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:14 pm

Bear in mind that the 442 coaches were a combination of mark 3 and mark 4 technology. They had generally mark 3 bodies which were built with mark 4 plug type doors. The motors were from withdrawn first generation slam door stock, which gave them the familiar slam door compressor sound and the slam door motor whines. They are a good unit, the seating whilst they were in service with SWT was still the old style mark three type, complete with tables and seating that lined up with the windows, and were incredably comfy - sorely missed although now in service with Gatwick Express. Good luck with this one, will be a good addition if you manage it!
JasVick
Been on the forums for a while

Postby JP170 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:11 pm

Good luck with the 442! If you complete it it will be a great addition to our railworks collection!
Busy finishing off the WCML Midland route!

Blog: http://procoderoutes.blogspot.co.uk/sea ... -results=2
JP170
Getting the hang of things now

Postby Irishrailguy on Mon May 07, 2012 10:32 am

You can't use the mk3's because A:You don't have the source model and B:even if you did RSC would never let you use it for free.

You don't need to worry about the cab until you get to it, model the exterior and all the animations first, there's a lot to do before you get to the cab.

Kev
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Postby msey0002 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:26 am

Irishrailguy wrote:You can't use the mk3's because A:You don't have the source model and B:even if you did RSC would never let you use it for free.

You don't need to worry about the cab until you get to it, model the exterior and all the animations first, there's a lot to do before you get to the cab.

Kev

Why not though? I assume it shouldn't be a problem as they are part of the core game?
msey0002
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Irishrailguy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:56 am

It may be part of the core game, but it did take a large amount of time to make it and it is partly responsible (like any other aspect of the core game) for producing revenue from sales, so because the game is payware material all contents within the game is subsequently copyrighted. This makes the game no different from any of the payware dlc you have, but if it was a free product like openBVE it would be a completely different story, if RW didn't look for profit (freeware) then they wouldn't have a problem giving you the source models.

Hope that makes sense.

Kev
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Postby FoggyMorning on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:55 pm

There are no restrictions on redistribution of any of the core content. This is explicitly stated in the RW Creator Manual (everyone has a copy of this)

Under the terms of your end user licence, the assets provided with RailWorks can be freely included in any package you create
FoggyMorning
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Irishrailguy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:58 pm

FoggyMorning wrote:There are no restrictions on redistribution of any of the core content. This is explicitly stated in the RW Creator Manual (everyone has a copy of this)

Under the terms of your end user licence, the assets provided with RailWorks can be freely included in any package you create

But does it say that source data is freely available to anyone who owns a copy of RW? I'd be interested to know what Raisim's position is on this, because I don't know of anyone outside of Railsim's offices who has successfully obtained any source material from them.

Kev
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Postby whiterider on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:04 pm

He could always ask. If it's a no, it's a no. Nothing lost, nothing gained.
whiterider
Established Forum Member

Postby Irishrailguy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:52 pm

I don't think he's going to follow up on this thread, he's left many previously authored threads unanswered, however I would like to hear from RSC where their position is on the matter.

Kev
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Postby FoggyMorning on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Irishrailguy wrote:
FoggyMorning wrote:There are no restrictions on redistribution of any of the core content. This is explicitly stated in the RW Creator Manual (everyone has a copy of this)

But does it say that source data is freely available to anyone who owns a copy of RW? I'd be interested to know what Raisim's position is on this, because I don't know of anyone outside of Railsim's offices who has successfully obtained any source material from them.

Kev

AFAIK you would only need the source files if you wanted to make changes to the original model. Reskinning a mk. 3 as a class 442 trailer wouldn't need the source files any more than any other reskin in the file library does
FoggyMorning
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Irishrailguy on Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:50 pm

FoggyMorning wrote:AFAIK you would only need the source files if you wanted to make changes to the original model. Reskinning a mk. 3 as a class 442 trailer wouldn't need the source files any more than any other reskin in the file library does

The author wanted to make a class 442 unit, the mk3 model would need to be edited to create the dmso, plus the mosl car is probably significantly different to any standard mk3, it runs on 3rd rail so the bogies are probably different and there would need to be harmonic filter boxes, surge suppressors and other electrical equipment which isn't on a diesel hauled mk3.

Kev
Irishrailguy
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation