Linking animation to child object

It's what the driver sees, it's possibly more important than even how it looks on the outside - but it's the most difficult bit to build. Learn how to make your own cabs, or how to use the ones that have been produced, how to wire up the controls and much more!

Moderator: Moderators

Linking animation to child object

Postby oar85 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:04 pm

I have started to build a locomotive, and now I wanna start to build the cabview. Regarding this I have a question; how do I link a animation (function) in the drivers cab to a child object in the engine blueprint? Do I need to do it by script, or is it a easier way to do it? For example I want to add a button to turn on/off lights for the foot steps on the outside - can I give the child object the same name as the animation in 3dc? Will RW take care of the rest or do I need to add some more like a script for it? I don't want to use the default functions that is linked to lights, bell, panto ++ since I will use these functions for something else. I'm thinking about functions that can only be operated by the animation/button inside the cab itself, and not the keyboard.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers,
Oystein
Norwegian 3D Trains & Landscape - http://www.3dtog.com
oar85
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Linking animation to child object

Postby Kariban on Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Is this just for external animations? for internal ones:

You link the animation to a control in the blueprint, and then link that to the appropriate seperate node in the cab ( RW calls it a transform at that point ) - try and avoid using the term "child" as RW child objects are completely seperate models loaded by the blueprint. That way the animation is ( usually! ) automatically controlled.

Child objects are usually reserved for either completely seperate types of object like emitters, optional components like say, snowploughs ( and I would probably do 3d nameplates the same ) or some people use them as a simple way to make variations on the design by loading different style exhausts and so on. As you're building the engine yourself you can add the geometry you would have put in the child objects as seperate objects inside the main shape and reference them in the controls.

--

But having said all that I've never tried to make an external animation you can interact with. I know some wagons have handbrakes you can fiddle with outside but I've never looked closely at them.
My posts are my opinion, and should be read as such.
Kariban
Very Active Forum Member

Re: Linking animation to child object

Postby oar85 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks for the information. I have now managed to make a switch in the cab to operate a function in RW together with the engine script, it was not easy but now I know how to do it. 8)
oar85
Getting the hang of things now

Return to [RW] Cab View Creation