3D Crafter - export to Blender

A fantastic, very powerful and free 3D modelling tool for which you can now get a Rail Simulator export! Includes many features the pro's use that are not found in 3D Canvas like texture baking; but is a lot more tricky to use than 3D Canvas.

Moderator: Moderators

3D Crafter - export to Blender

Postby longbow on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:38 am

With TSW in mind I'm planning to move from 3D Crafter to Blender for asset creation. Can somebody guide me on the best way to export my 3DC creations into Blender please, textures and all?
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Re: 3D Crafter - export to Blender

Postby precar on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:23 pm

longbow wrote:With TSW in mind I'm planning to move from 3D Crafter to Blender for asset creation. Can somebody guide me on the best way to export my 3DC creations into Blender please, textures and all?

Blender will import a variety of file types but I have not used 3D Crafter so don't know what it can export.
Have a look at Blender.... File/User Preferences and it shows all the file types it can import etc.

Barry
precar
Well Established Forum Member

Postby AndiS on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm in Barry's boat, so to say - no idea about 3D Crafter but still trying to help.

To provide variety, my stab in the dark would be this:
I would try .dae first, because it is supposed to be our great hope.
Then .3ds because it is complex, albeit (formerly?) proprietary and not so documented. If it works, you get complex stuff like animations across, too.
.x seems to be popular but I know little about it.
.obj does not seem to have animations, or second UV maps.

In practice, you need to take a few challenging samples and see what you get. You can have a ton of format specifications on the net, if the guy who wrote the exporter and the guy who wrote the importer did not implement it in the same spirit, then you cannot do much about it, other than trying the next format.

I would not worry about material settings at all, because you are going to do it all again in UE4, with much better results than ever. But it would be a shame to lose animations and UV maps.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Postby longbow on Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 am

Thanks. Importing as .3ds gets the mesh into Blender but loses the texturing. Will try the other formats you suggest.
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Postby longbow on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:54 am

Hmm, same result with other formats: I get untextured mesh in Blender.
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Postby AndiS on Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18 am

In this case, I would contact the program creator. Normally, I would say "check if you made it right" but I don't think any program has an option "export without texturing".

In the case of .obj, it is dead easy to see what was exported.
You need lines starting with vt in addition to those starting with v.
If you got them, see whether the lines starting with f (the face definitions) have single numbers following, or pairs or triplets separated with slashes. If only single numbers, then texture indices are missing.
In doubt, check the Wikipedia page
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Postby longbow on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 am

Importing from Sketchup gives the same result. However the textures are there if I render an image of the model, so how do I make them appear on the mesh in standard view ?
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Postby AndiS on Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Ah, welcome to the world of Blender traps! :evil:

Have you tried textured view? To the right of to the menu where you switch between Object Mode and Edit Mode (and some more), you find one that shows sort of a globe in wireframe mode, a white ball when you are in solid mode, a white cross on a red circle when you are in textured mode and a somewhat coloured ball in rendered mode.

You need textured mode. Rendered mode would be ok, too, but it is a bit slow and you need to play with the lights first. You are likely to sit in darkness or misinterpret what you see because of the lighting.

If you are in textured view, and you don't see the textures on the model, you need to assign the texture image to the object, for Blender only:

Show "UV/Image Editor" in one panel/area/viewport.
Go to Edit mode (press TAB), select all (press a once or twice until all is highlighted). You will see the UV map in the UV editor, but no image.
If this is the case, click on the icon besides the Image menu (to the left of the + and New button). You should find the texture already listed and just need to select it.
If the list is empty, select Open Image in the Image menu and open the image. It will then automatically be assigned to the current object. You may need to re-assign it to other objects, but just performing the steps above. I.e., you open it only once.

Hope that helps.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Postby clam1952 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 pm

For info, If you look at the 3dcrafter Forum, there are moves afoot for an fbx exporter for TSW, might be worth keeping an eye on.

Malc
clam1952
New to the Forums

Postby kevmt on Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm sure the texture info must be exported.

I used to import, exported. 3DS files into gmax when I converted my MSTS models into Trainz format. Unfortunately, I did this so many years ago I've now forgotten the exact procedure :oops: but seem to remember having to do a blanket reapplication of textures in gmax, which instantly reapplied all the textures back onto the model.

I realise this is not much actual help to you!

Cheers,

Kevin
kevmt
Very Active Forum Member

Postby longbow on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:34 am

Thanks all. The texturing has been imported, I just need to figure out how to display it in Blender as per Andy's advice.
longbow
Very Active Forum Member

Postby smiljacc on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:07 pm

there are hundreds or thousands of free blender tutorials in PDF and youtube I don't use 3dc anymore.Why not just switch to blender?
smiljacc
Getting the hang of things now

Return to Blender