An Open Rail Simulator?

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: An Open Rail Simulator?

Postby FuNky2k on Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:25 pm

I have no interest in 3d cabs and shiny shadows, the MSTS 2d photo realistic cabs are just fine and more than enough to start with.
FuNky2k
London Underground: Metropolitan Line

Postby mariaclarie on Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:22 am

Train driving simulation games usually allow a user to have a "driver's view" from the locomotive's cab and operate realistic cab controls such as throttle, brake valve, sand, horn and whistle, lights etc.
One of the first commercially available train simulators was Southern Belle, released in 1985. The game simulated a journey of the Southern Belle steam passenger train from London Victoria to Brighton, while at the same time the player must comply with speed limits, not to go too fast on curves and keep to the schedule. It was followed with Evening Star in 1987.
mariaclarie
New to the Forums

Postby tubetrain11 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:02 pm

mariaclarie wrote:Train driving simulation games usually allow a user to have a "driver's view" from the locomotive's cab and operate realistic cab controls such as throttle, brake valve, sand, horn and whistle, lights etc.
One of the first commercially available train simulators was Southern Belle, released in 1985. The game simulated a journey of the Southern Belle steam passenger train from London Victoria to Brighton, while at the same time the player must comply with speed limits, not to go too fast on curves and keep to the schedule. It was followed with Evening Star in 1987.

I know Southern Belle! It was released on the BBC Micro. I have downloaded both Southern Belle and Evening Star as emulator disc images. I can't play them though-can't find a controls list! Looks good, particularly for a BBC Micro fan like me :D .

Southern Belle: http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archive/diskimages/Hewson/SouthernBelle.zip
Evening Star: http://www.stairwaytohell.com/bbc/archive/diskimages/Hewson/EveningStar.zip
Wagon ( tubetrain11
Type ( UKTS User )
WagonShape ( tubetrain11.s )
WheelRadius ( 2 legs )
)
See me as onlyonemac on the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army forums.
tubetrain11
Getting the hang of things now

Previous

Return to Generic Simulation