An Open Rail Simulator?

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: An Open Rail Simulator?

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
In MSTS we're hoping George can give us separate spawners, which could be handy.
Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Hi
Sack that........... have you seen this

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=90931

!!! me........ its ten years ahead of anything else............ including MSTS2.

Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulz6 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 pm

I've been looking at this one for some time. I just hope they haven't limited the potential of it by insisting on making it BVE compatible, which is free software (just closed source) anyway!
I think for the initial v1 target, you will have a very good train driving simulator (very detailed physics per vehicle). BVE never had moving AI trains, just static train scenery. It is whether they have designed the software in a way that they can evolve it along the operational side. There are at least two moving trains in the clip though!
It'll take time, but an open source project (if released under the GPL license) can never be canned. Anyone can pick up on the work and continue with it, at any point, as long as they basically credit the original authors and don't trying to make a profit from it.
paulz6
Very Active Forum Member

Postby RSderek on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Wow.. ten years.
:)

It does look nice.
To contact me email support@railsimulator.com, not here.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://dereksiddle.blogspot.com/
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Hi
Yes two moving trains... moving trees, bushes,wires, birds,.... sounds like the real world.... weather like the real world.
Added to that BVE has always managed to simulate the feeling of actually being in a cab driving a train......... its fantastic.
Puts Rail sims in Flight sims area, and anything else I've ever seen to shame.
I just hope we get as much UK outline as we did for BVE 2, which I enjoyed.
Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulz6 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:53 pm

It is designed to be compatible with BVE2 and BVE4 stuff. It's already in existence!
paulz6
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulz6 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:58 pm

jbilton wrote:Hi
Yes two moving trains... moving trees, bushes,wires, birds,.... sounds like the real world.... weather like the real world.

Do you think the trees actually move to simulated wind? That would be impressive. Dumbly animated objects are nothing new.
paulz6
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:14 pm

paulz6 wrote:
jbilton wrote:Hi

Do you think the trees actually move to simulated wind? That would be impressive. Dumbly animated objects are nothing new.

Don't know, but it gives the impression of a 'real' world......... something that has previously been lacking in all rail simulators.

Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby paulz6 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:43 pm

jbilton wrote:Don't know, but it gives the impression of a 'real' world......... something that has previously been lacking in all rail simulators.

Some times it's just a case of creating the necessary assets for the existing simulators. It takes time and someone committed to achieving it.
paulz6
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:08 pm

paulz6 wrote:
jbilton wrote:Don't know, but it gives the impression of a 'real' world......... something that has previously been lacking in all rail simulators.

Some times it's just a case of creating the necessary assets for the existing simulators. It takes time and someone committed to achieving it.

Sometimes it is...... other times it probably just can't be done.
The others have been around long enough........ if they haven't managed it yet, I doubt its going to happen.
Added to that, I doubt their engines are capable of smooth running, as well as all the extra animation.
Like I posted elsewhere, this looks 10 years ahead.
Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby RSderek on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:43 pm

It's official then.
RSderek
Very Active Forum Member

Postby g0fthick on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:59 pm

The swaying trees are just animated cycles to give the impression of wind, something that could be achieved within an engine like RS. Whether or not it could be done in MSTS is beyond me as I never took to the back end of the simulator, but it's nothing new.

Also as an observation from an animation student, walking like those rigs on display would do you some serious harm. They look like they're roller blading.
The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
g0fthick
Very Active Forum Member

Postby jbilton on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:23 pm

g0fthick wrote:The swaying trees are just animated cycles to give the impression of wind, something that could be achieved within an engine like RS. Whether or not it could be done in MSTS is beyond me as I never took to the back end of the simulator, but it's nothing new.

Also as an observation from an animation student, walking like those rigs on display would do you some serious harm. They look like they're roller blading.

Hi
Yes simple animated trees have been in MSTS for about the last 6 years.
This looks something much better to me.
Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby g0fthick on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:08 pm

Well I can't say I've seen animated trees in MSTS, so I can't comment on the quality. However I could show you how to achieve this effect in any engine supporting animation in scenery items with relative ease.
g0fthick
Very Active Forum Member

Postby zlindku on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 pm

For about 18 months I have been playing around with the design of a trainsim. The object here is to see if it can be done rather than to produce a simulator although this MAY happen.I have done a "first draft" terrain engine but my main thrust has been vehicle "physics" and proper AI trains and timetabled operation. One of the main problems I have identified is processing power. The graphics can take every bit of power you can muster so as far as I am concerned the graphics will almost certainly need to be held back. I regard the graphics for MSTS to be quite good enough for starters. While such things as animated trees and grass look nice there are more important things to do.The real killer is the AI operations this is proving to require quite a head of steam.(what I am looking for is for the AI stuff to really exist and be controlled properly)
The way I have peen tackling this is to split the sim into two parts the graphics engine and the trainsim engine and run them on two pc's view a network connection.(the development is being done on Linux using the C language,NOT C++)
The main purpose of this post is to say a decent sim requires a LARGE amount of steam to run and the people using it need to decide what they really want. You simply cannot have everything, there is not enough processing power.This applies to all trainsims including RS.
Note: I have not used an existing 3D engine I played around with a few,all were to limiting or to slow.Same thing with SDL the 3D part of these is chronically slow although the sound appears to be OK.
Note 2: Distant terrain is a MUST.... Very difficult to do along with the rest of the scenery..
Note 3: Note the main purpose of the post.
zlindku
Been on the forums for a while

PreviousNext

Return to Generic Simulation