Train simulation games on mobiles/smartphones?

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Train simulation games on mobiles/smartphones?

Postby C2MChap on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Hello everyone,

I was hoping you could help me find out about any train simulation games that are available on mobile phones (like older Nokia/Eriksson/Motorola etc) or on more recent smartphones (like iPhone/Android/Blackberry etc)?

Has anyone played any computer or phone simulation games? How are they?

Thanks very much!
C2MChap
New to the Forums

Re: Train simulation games on mobiles/smartphones?

Postby Kromaatikse on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:49 am

I haven't actually seen any, unless you count running "Brighton Belle" on an 8-bit micro emulator.

Except that apparently Trainz is now available for iPad or something. Never seen that in action, but I wasn't very impressed with Trainz on the desktop to start with.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on others to teach you it.
Kromaatikse
For Quality & Playability

Postby JasonM on Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Densha De Go - Yamanote Line is available on the iphone/pad but only if you have a Japanese itunes account.
http://radioerrols.posterous.com/go-for-iphone
--
Jason
JasonM
Well Established Forum Member

Postby qzdcg8 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:11 am

I would like to suggest that the horsepower of Android Smartphones has reached the point where it is now physically possible to run a decent simulator on them.

X-Plane is available in the Android Market and some of the driving games you can get are pushing PS2 levels of imagery.

At the end of the day they're just Linux based devices running Java Apps - oh how I wish OR had taken (and THIS pains me to say it, believe me) the Java Route rather than C# route, because if it had, you might just have seen an Android MSTS Content Compatible Simulator...
Steve N
Retired Modeller and Route Builder - now playing with big boys toys!
qzdcg8
Woodhead Route Author

Postby C2MChap on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:51 pm

Kromaatikse wrote:I haven't actually seen any, unless you count running "Brighton Belle" on an 8-bit micro emulator.

Except that apparently Trainz is now available for iPad or something. Never seen that in action, but I wasn't very impressed with Trainz on the desktop to start with.

What did you find lacking in Trainz on the desktop?
C2MChap
New to the Forums

Postby C2MChap on Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:56 pm

qzdcg8 wrote:I would like to suggest that the horsepower of Android Smartphones has reached the point where it is now physically possible to run a decent simulator on them.

X-Plane is available in the Android Market and some of the driving games you can get are pushing PS2 levels of imagery.

At the end of the day they're just Linux based devices running Java Apps - oh how I wish OR had taken (and THIS pains me to say it, believe me) the Java Route rather than C# route, because if it had, you might just have seen an Android MSTS Content Compatible Simulator...

That's an interesting point. Actually, I'm doing some research into what train game fans would like to see in a mobile device game, so if you're interested please let me know your thoughts via a survey I've created: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6MRTPQZ.

If all goes to plan, there's the likelihood of creating the game, so you might get your wish!
C2MChap
New to the Forums

Postby bigtrainzfan on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:51 pm

Does anyone have the trainz app on iPad? I didn't mind the desktop version, and saw that they've updated the app to have weather effects. Is it worth buying?
bigtrainzfan
New to the Forums

Postby tubetrain11 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:53 pm

I don't know of any train simulators on mobiles or smartphones.

I have heard of "Brighton Belle" on the BBC Micro; downloaded a disk image and tried it on an emulator. I can't play it; graphics don't provide enough of the feedback that modern trainsimmers need!

I had thought of a train simulator for the nintendo DS. Something with an outside view on the top screen and a cab view on the touch screen. Although I can't write it because my programming skils are not good enough :( .

Trainz on an iPad sounds intresting; I wonder how they did it... :wink:
Wagon ( tubetrain11
Type ( UKTS User )
WagonShape ( tubetrain11.s )
WheelRadius ( 2 legs )
)
See me as onlyonemac on the 68k Macintosh Liberation Army forums.
tubetrain11
Getting the hang of things now

Postby tubetrain11 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi it's tubetrain11 again!

Straight after my last post, I went to look at another UKTS forum. It appears to be about some iPhone train simulator called "Train Drive ATS". I watched the first bit of the YouTube video. Looks good! I don't know about the name though...
tubetrain11
Getting the hang of things now

Return to Generic Simulation