Trainz vs. Railworks

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Trainz vs. Railworks

Postby NewcastleFlyer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 am

First, I am NOT a "stooge" for Trainz, especially after what their company has recently done, including by deliberately restricting access to their download station in an attempt to force people to buy "first class tickets"

Kromaatikse wrote:RailWorks is much closer to real-world operation. That's not to say it's very close, just closer than Trainz is. Outside of yards (and Paddington), the signals and points generally do what they're supposed to do for your train, without intervention.
Um you were saying about points in Trainz again? See http://www.flickr.com/photos/34023326@N02/5880430630
Search Change.org for "Save Newcastle rail line" from developers.
NewcastleFlyer
Established Forum Member

Postby theokus on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:00 am

NewcastleFlyer wrote: about points in Trainz again? See http://www.flickr.com/photos/34023326@N02/5880430630

I don't have a Yahoo account.
And I don't or need one.
Ubi bene, ibi patria.
theokus
Very Active Forum Member

Postby NewcastleFlyer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:21 pm

You shouldn't need one, as it was via a Guest Pass, but I'll double check.

Edit: Try this: http://flickr.com/gp/34023326@N02/8sN94V
Last edited by NewcastleFlyer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFlyer
Established Forum Member

Postby ashgray on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 pm

NewcastleFlyer wrote:You shouldn't need one, as it was via a Guest Pass, but I'll double check.

A Yahoo ID and password are definitely needed to access the site.

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel i7-3960X 6 Core Extreme @ 4.2Ghz, 512Gb SSD + 1TB SATA drives, 32 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX690, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Postby NewcastleFlyer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:35 pm

What about the new link in my previous post, does that work without the need to log in?
NewcastleFlyer
Established Forum Member

Postby Acorncomputer on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:36 pm

It does now :D
Geoff Potter
Working on Something
Acorncomputer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby theokus on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:02 pm

NewcastleFlyer wrote:What about the new link in my previous post, does that work without the need to log in?

I and we are grateful to you :wink:
theokus
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Kromaatikse on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:02 pm

Those look very nice. But the point is, how well do they *work*?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on others to teach you it.
Kromaatikse
For Quality & Playability

Postby NewcastleFlyer on Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:06 pm

Just like they do in real railways and MSTS, and I suspect Railworks too. When you make a session, the moving blades don't exist at first, they are added automatically when you set the name of the junction.

But no matter what simulator, and no matter for what the simulator is for, it is how well the item/product is made. For example both MSTS & Trainz have default track, that is well let's say yuk - too cartoon looking.
NewcastleFlyer
Established Forum Member

Postby alan2 on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:28 pm

I thought it my time to add my 2 pence work (english money of low value but not the lowest value which is one pence).

I have purchased both simulators over the years, I have trainz 1 - Trainz 12. Msts and updates through Rail Simulator and Railworks / 2. The many products have their own good and bad points.

I have tried using Railworks 2 and Trainz 12. Out of the two products I personally have swayed towards the Railwork Product. This is pure personal preference. I always try to be objective over my decisions.

The reasons I chose to focus more on Railworks was that I liked the Editor for Route creation more. where in Trainz I struggled to make a Junction that looked Correct, in Railworks I created a set of working junctions and switches after only two attempts and they also looked correct after I had finished.

The Scenario Creation in Railworks was a little more tricky and takes a lot to be desired but with time and effort it can be worked (though in my opinion it's a downside to Railworks).
The Scenario creation in Trainz was erm, well Complex but train routing was easier.

Driving a Train in Railworks is easy. But on the other hand you cannot interact with other players in other trains.
Driving a Train in Trainz is also pretty easy. But you can interact with other players online on the same route.

The biggest problem is Pricing and Content.
Railworks costs a small fortune for the complete and comprehensive pack (£800 + )
Trainz has a massive free community mod base and lots of trains / stock for download.

The biggest factor in deciding which simulator you should go for is your understanding of computers. and what you want to do.
Trainz is a railway system based on operating and driving a Train, switching your tracks from in game icons and switching locomotive from your in game selection scrollbar. (easy to use and multiple locomotives accross a route).
Railworks is a Simulation of a Route, you can Drive a train switching tracks is done via a interactive map system, you can switch locomotives but you have to be near the locomotive you wish to switch to.

Trainz is pretty easy to use and create for in the long run.
Railworks is a easy to use Route building tool. Scenario's are harder to get correct but it works in the end.
Alan Heath
Why does dos never Say Excelent Command or filename ?!!?!??
To Err is human, computers output the errors at higher speed.
Freeware only Productions. GPL!
alan2
Peak Rail Route Author

Location: Secret Routebuilders Castle lost on the way to the toilet!

Previous

Return to Generic Simulation