Newbie questions.

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie questions.

Postby shezza on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi all, as a newbie to this forum I just wondered if someone could answer me a few questions. Many years ago I had on my computer Trainz software which allowed me to build a complete railway from the baseboard up including camera angles. Does the MST on amazon do the same or is it a starter for all the add ons that are on this site? Plus is there a controller that I could use with it again similar to the one that is on amazon (about £300) My OP is Windows 7. Thanks in anticipation of your replies.
shezza
New to the Forums

Re: Newbie questions.

Postby AndiS on Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Not sure what "the MST on amazon" would be. There are three things:

1) Trainz, which you had. It comes in several versions which differ but don't ask me how much.

2) Microsoft Train Simulator (abbreviated MSTS, maybe this is what you refer to).

3) Train Simulator from Dovetail Games, formerly know as Railworks, and before that as Rail Simulator. It has been sold with some year given after the name. Whatever you get, after the installation which uses Steam you have the current product which is properly called Train Simulator 2017.

They all allow you to build your own railway. For all of them, there are add-ons, which can be payware or freeware.

I would not take option (2) because the software has not been developed further since 2001. Building your own railway in it is hard compared to the other options.

The various versions of (3) differ in the routes that are packed with the base product. Those are ready to drive. But if building your railway is what you want to do, just get any of the offerings on Amazon and start building.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Postby shezza on Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:17 pm

Thanks for your reply AndiS, yes I did mean MSTS. So if I do go for option 3 would I be able to use some of the files on this site?

Plus any idea if this or similar would work
41P1V3F2YPL.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shezza
New to the Forums

Postby AndiS on Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

The files for option 3 are found under 3 categories: Simulator = Rail Simulator, RailWorks, or Train Simulator 2013. This is just for historic reasons. Stuff for Rail Simulator will generally still work, but be from the time when the program was young. RailWorks is newer. Train Simulator 2013 is the category for new stuff still today.

Regarding the controller, go to the bottom of the forum list on the main board index. You will find one forum dealing with RailWorks RailDriver Interface and another for Joysticks. I know nothing about it. But it obviously works.
AndiS
Very Active Forum Member

Postby mrmosky on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:14 pm

I used to have Trainz products too for many years. Then I tried various Railworks variants, but found that there was too much payware for the good stuff. Also, the performance was not too good with my pc.
Quite recently, I have gone on to MSTS, and although the basic product is old, there has been a new lease of life with open rails, which is freeware, and enables you to run MSTS routes and assets in a modern framework. There is also now a new route editor in development that is perfectly usable to create your own routes from scratch.
Creating your own buildings is also possible and there is a wealth of information and experience to draw upon.
So don't dismiss this option.
Geoff
mrmosky
Getting the hang of things now

Postby RogerBreeno on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:04 am

I can vouch for MSTS being good because I've been using it for a while now. No hitches.
RogerBreeno
New to the Forums

Postby michaelhendle on Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:57 am

I'm going to popular for saying this but 1 advantage of MSTS if you on a limited budget then almost all MSTS items are free,and can be down loaded from UKTS,there are a few Payware routes like MEP+ cost £4.50 from UKTS,it's on a DVD but you get the Route From Kings Cross to York and I think as far as Northallerton,plenty of Locomotives stock,about 100+ activities,also included is the various routes off of the ECML one goes as far Skegness.

Another route I can recommend is NWE v3 again all items needed to run it comes with route,and you can down load it from the MSTS part of the library,( recommend you pay£3.00 for a months premium membership,as there a quite a few items to down load,the advantage of premium is no kew waiting.

Also MSTS will run in ORTS which makes it more realistic

With TS 2013-17 everything is payware,or relies on payware items,and you might get one or two items motive power and a couple of coaches and freight items.
Mike
Ex South African Railways Employee,My favorite loco is a SAR\SAS 25C Condensing Locomotive
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Return to Generic Simulation