Buying from suppliers who use PayPal

Use this forum to discuss generalisations that apply to all / some / none of the present train simulators.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Buying from suppliers who use PayPal

Postby Easilyconfused on Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:20 pm

I have a PayPal account which is currently suspended and will remain so indefinitely. I have had it for many years and bought a great deal of stuff through it with no problems. When I had issues with 1 vendor on eBay PayPal refunded the money without any hassle.

However, they suspended my account because "new anti-money laundering regulations" require me to prove my identity despite being a customer for years. They wanted to to send a scan of my driving licence (photocard and paper bit) and the details page of my passport and a recent utility bill to an email address in Ireland. At first I thought it was a scam so rather than replying to the email and phone number on the email I contacted their main customer disservice department.

Despite spending hours on the phone with them (at my ex-employers expense) I got nowhere. I would not provide that level of personal information to them without a clear understanding of who would have access to it and for what reasons so they locked my account down. They were unable to explain why they needed that information beyond a bland "anti-money laundering" excuse and none of the supervisors I spoke to could shed any light on exactly who would have access to that information which is a breach of the UK Data Protection laws since the lawful processor of the information is required to explain exactly what the information is used for, how it is processed and who has access to it.

Now, any vendor who foolishly only accepts PayPal will not get any trade from me.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Postby black8 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:03 pm

peterfhayes wrote:......and Steam have that facility too.pH
I have been using PayPal for years. As a matter of fact I probably belonged to the first users when they were still independent and not bought by eBay. Anyway, since perhaps 2 years now the service has been unreliable simply because for many transactions I cannot login to Paypal anymore. For transactions through Steam, Paypal is no longer my payment option because here I can never login and the transactions time out. Luckily Steam has several payment options and I would recommend all vendors to provide several payment methods to prevent these kind of annoying problems. If it would be my browser not accepting cookies, as Gary (gptech) suggested, Paypal login problems would exist for all my transactions I would say but that is not the case either. I have been using Paypal succesfully for many years and used it almost exclusively for online purchase payments but nowadays I only use it when there are really no other options and hope the transaction will complete.
I do not know what Paypal's problem is but I am looking for a simple and reliable payment method, and Paypal can no longer provide that for me.
'Why is it that the railway station is so far away from the village?'
The local pauses for a while, then replies:
'They thought it would be a good idea to build it next to the railway line.....'

(Dent Station on the Settle & Carlisle)
black8
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Trev123 on Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:58 pm

No problem with Paypal here. Been using it for at least 10 years.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix 2GB OC graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2452mh LED 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD. Gamer since 1985
Trev123
Very Active Forum Member

Postby ashgray on Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Why have you raised this again Trev, after 2 1/2 months? The issues with Paypal over the years are well-documented on these fora.

You may agree, or you may disagree, but I cannot see the point of bumping this thread, to no good purpose, just to say that you don't have a problem when other members (including a current moderator) clearly do...

Ash
Ashley Gray

Intel i7-3960X 6 Core Extreme @ 4.2Ghz, 512Gb SSD + 1TB SATA drives, 32 Gb RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX690, ASUS Xonar D2X/XDT Soundcard, Windows 10 Ultimate 64 bit
ashgray
Wafflus Maximus

Postby robben007 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:52 pm

rosschris10 wrote:Trouble is allot of suppliers rely on PayPal solely for assurance chien its convienance and easy to use transaction process not allot of developers will want to use ther means as iirc they get charged allot more than what PayPal charges for its fees

hello, i have some trouble with my paypal account so can i use other credite card?
thanks!!
robben007
New to the Forums

Postby robben029 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:14 am

chrisonline wrote:What exactly is your problem with having an account? It doesn't force you to put money in there, you can still use your credit card "via" the PayPal sign-on.

I don't understand this obsession some people have with NOT WANTING PayPal. It is secure, and works flawlessly. I've used it for years and had no problems. It's a proven system.

If you don't want the product, don't buy it. If comparateur assurance chat you want it and PayPal is the only option (though using your Credit Card as actual payment), and you refuse that, then so be it . . you can't have the product. Your choice.

So again, PayPal is a proven system. And even if you have to "create an account", you are not forced to put money into it, you can use your Credit Card.

Hello!
I do not have a credit card so how could I buy it without a credit card?
Thanks!
robben029
New to the Forums

Postby smarty2 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:16 pm

You can use a debit card instead, I have for years.
Best Regards
Martin (smarty2)
Non technically minded individual!

Is There A God?
Dudley Bible web page
smarty2
Very Active Forum Member

Postby michaelhendle on Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:34 pm

That's what I use if I have to use Paypal to buy something,especially if I want to buy some German Items.
Touch wood so far to date I haven't had any problems with Paypal
Mike
Ex South African Railways Employee,My favorite loco is a SAR\SAS 25C Condensing Locomotive
michaelhendle
Very Active Forum Member

Postby smarty2 on Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:40 pm

It's very safe, I have to verify a code sent to me on my mobile before I can purchase anything.
smarty2
Very Active Forum Member

Previous

Return to Generic Simulation