Thames Mersey & Activity Editor

The MSTS Activity Editor allows you to make your own activities, or missions, for the player to complete. This is also how you can get lots of other trains running while you drive yours!

Moderator: Moderators

Thames Mersey & Activity Editor

Postby LMSBlack5 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:06 am

Hello All,

Sorry if this is bringing up an issue that has been resolved already but I'm having problems with viewing / creating activities in the Thames Mersey route I just purchased. I select the activity, or try to add a new one, and the editor stops working & displays a stopped working message. I run windows 7 & have restored from train store only one activity . All other routes are in store. This issue only happens with this route. It's not loaded as a mini-route. Just to check further, I tried to run the route editor & that loaded fine.

I've tried the suggestions mentioned in previous posts such as running as administrator, changing screen resolution, adding mem:1024 /fsaa /anisotropic as parameters, running in XP mode but I cant get it to work. I'm guessing it's because of the size of the route, but it has to have worked for others since there are so many great activities out there. I noticed that the EB route had similar problems and looked at responses in that message chain but found nothing that would help me.

If anyone has a solution or suggestion as to how I can fix it, please help. I would appreciate it very much.
LMSBlack5
Getting the hang of things now

Re: Thames Mersey & Activity Editor

Postby slipperman12 on Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:02 pm

Hi LMSBlack5,
Although it's my favourite steam loco, could we know your proper name, please ? :)

Sorry, but I don't have an answer to your problem - does the route run its activities correctly?
My experience with trying to run the Activity Editor on the as-supplied T-M route is that it takes a very, very long time to start up. In fact, it shows as "Not responding". Using TrainStore to select just one activity results in AE starting almost instantly, but this is not a lot of use if you want to create an activity as the only stock available will be that used in the selected activity.

A better option, if you want to create activities in T-M is to use the Mini Loader (please come back if you need more details). Similarly to TrainStore, with Mini Loader, a single activity is selected, but the stock items are not hidden; the downside is that all the consists, except those used in the activity, are "disabled", so not available.

The "stopped working" message is, very often, associated with the location of the MSTS installation - if it's in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86), you should uninstall it and re-install according to the Steam4Me tutorial : http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/inst ... ts_w7.html

It might help if you could post your PC specifications, in particular, the graphics card.

Cheers,
Ged
Intel i5-4690K (3.5Ghz), Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 m/b, 8GB DDR3 RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750ti (2GB) graphics card, Asus Xonar DS sound card. Win 7 Pro 64 bit.
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Easilyconfused on Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Another thing that may help is to load a smaller route in the activity editor and make sure all the signals / platforms / path points etc. are not enabled. Then quit out and load the Thames Mersey activity and only enable signals etc. if you need to.
Kindest regards

John Lewis

Member of the forum moderation team
Easilyconfused
Worried about Silent Chickens

Postby LMSBlack5 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:59 am

Ged & John, thank you both for your responses.

Ged - As recommended in the steam4me tutorial, I have installed the sim in the c:\MSTS folder.
All activities run correctly
PC Specs: (not very computer savvy)
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)i3-2120 CPU @3.30GHz
RAM 6.00GB
64 bit OS
Graphics card (is that under Display adapters? ) Intel(R)HD Graphics Family

Graphics seem to be ok. I can run activities with MSTS display maxed out. Stutters when loading some large tiles but not unexpected .
I note you mentioned that AE starts almost immediately using TrainStore to select just one activity but for me it still hangs. results in AE starting almost instantly

Again, thank you both for taking the time to help.

Ed

Thanks for the offer to help with the Mini Loader if I need it. I'll try that next.

Oh - The name's Ed & I live in Chicago so my responses may appear to be coming in the middle of the night!

John - I disabled everything in the editor as you suggested then tried to open an activity in T-M. No joy I'm afraid
LMSBlack5

Postby slipperman12 on Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:45 am

Hi Ed,
Thanks for the info :)

I don't have any experience of the Intel HD Graphics system, but, with the age of MSTS, I don't think it should have any problem - maybe it can be confirmed?

It might be worth checking the properties of the MSTS Editors & Tools icon. Shown below are the properties for the Shortcut and Compatibility tabs; yours should be the same, except for the location of MSTS shown in the 'Target' and 'Start in' entries on the Shortcut tab. If the latter shows 'launcher.exe' instead of 'train.exe', I suggest you change it, then you add the parameters -toolset followed by a space, then -mem:2048 (to replace '-runeditor') after the closing double quotes - you can't add these parameters to 'launcher.exe'.

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Postby terrycunliffe on Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 pm

If you've not already tried this, try running the editor in 256 colour mode.
T
Virtual Navvy for North West England & Metrolink.

Two rules to get you through life: If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it.
terrycunliffe
Very Active Forum Member

Location: Back in the padded cell, however, I did manage to smuggle a full bottle in with me!

Postby LMSBlack5 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Thank you all. I've tried all the suggestions you've given me but I'm still unable to get the editor to work. No worries, there are plenty of activities to run.
Ed
LMSBlack5

Postby Natsley on Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:38 pm

Hi Ed,
I dont know if this will help, i have created a few activities for TM and i have run the batch file for the Electric era.I also run on windows 7 and i dont have any problems with the activity Editor.
I do as you do, load one activity.Then i select "new" and start creating the new activity.I found out long ago that the AE only knows what it finds in the activity file and so i use any of the available consists at first to make my new activity and then save and exit.
I then enter the TM Route folder and pull the service files that i need to change the consist files on on to my desktop.I then go into the trainstore folder and look at the stored consists.If i find one that i want to use i copy the consist name and then paste it into the service file that i want to use it on.Then i unstore everything with trainstore and then load the new activity i am working on and trainstore finds all the stock that i need for the now altered activity.
If i need to alter arrival and departure times for the player service i do it in the activity file not in the AE.The times in the activity file are in seconds so it is quite easy to alter these.
One other thing i have found with some routes is that the batch files are best run "not as Administrator" as for some reason when run as Administrator they remove files instead of adding them.
Hope this is of some help to you.

Stan
Natsley

Postby slipperman12 on Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Hi Ed,
This might not help, but I had AE give me the "stopped working" message just today after a new install when checking a default activity!
As soon as I installed the Bin Patch, AE ran OK :)

Obviously, if you've already got it installed, this isn't the answer!

Cheers,
Ged
slipperman12
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [MSTS1] Activity Creation