Failure of Installme.bat on BD (CD)

General MSTS related discussion that doesn't really fit into any of the other specific forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Failure of Installme.bat on BD (CD)

Postby vidal on Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:39 pm

I've just taken delivery of the Burton Derby CD (thanks for the swift delivery everyone) and I can't get the .bat file to copy over the required files. I seem to remember some references to a failure of the XCOPY command, but I thought that mine was working as I have installed many routes both from download or CD with very few problems.

I have had some virus infection, although AVG and Panda both show clear - only AVG installed at present. The .bat file runs, but every line shows as 0 files copied.

I've got trainstore, with everything unstored. I have installed latest Tsection and X-tracks

Hope this makes sense,

James.
vidal
Been on the forums for a while

Postby BobLatimer on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:20 pm

Words of wisdom from Alan Salmon in another thread:

"When the installme file runs, does it go through very quickly? I've heard of two PCs where the XCOPY command doesn't seem to be installed, so the batch file doesn't run, but instead throws up "bad command or filename" for every line.

When this happened to one user, I suggested he edit the batch file, search and replace "xcopy" with "c:\windows\command\xcopy" and that sorted it - however you would have to check that xcopy lives in c:\windows\command - perhaps it is best to go START - FIND (or SEARCH) - (for files or folders) - look for xcopy to find out where it lives."

Perhaps your virus infection has affected xcopy.exe in some way.
BobLatimer
Very Active Forum Member

Postby 40058 on Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:22 pm

Have you got the 6 default routes installed???

These must be present as there's objects the installme.bat copies over as route builders are not allowing to include default stuff on CD releases that would be the only reason that 0 files are copied when you've everything unstored.

...and that xcopy problem I had only with Bala Hub in Windows ME since getting a new PC with Win XP SP2 that problem has gone.

Cheers,

Very Active Forum Member

Postby mikesimpson on Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:27 pm

Try editing the InstallMe.bat file and put the word Pause on a new line, say every 15 lines or so.

When you run the InstallMe.bat, it will then pause until you press any key at those points and you will be able to see if there are any errors such as 'Xcopy unknown command' or 'File not found' showing up on the DOS screen.

This will give you a better idea of where the errors are occurring.

If you find that the problem is because the system can not find xcopy, then make sure that the path for xcopy is included in your Environment Variables Path list. To do this, right click on My Computer, select Properties, click the Advanced tab and the Environment variables button near the bottom.

This brings up a window where the System variables are listed in the bottom box. If Xcopy is in c:\Windows\System32 then make sure this is in the Path entry, (use the Edit button to edit it). Similarly, make sure that the ComSpec entry points to c:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

Mike
Mike in OZ - Author of RW_Tools & Route-Riter.
mikesimpson
Very Active Forum Member

Postby vidal on Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:39 am

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to help, on running the .bat file I get File not found - (0) files copied. I have unstored everything, all of the default routes are working, and the files are present in them. Any thoughts?

James
vidal

Postby OTTODAD on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:24 pm

vidal wrote: Any thoughts?

Yes, a few, James !

Some virus checkers need to be told to allow the running of Batch files or having Administrator rights.

Go to Start / Accessories / Command Prompt and type XCOPY /?. If you get a screen full of command line options then it is working.

Finally, change the .bat extension to .cmd, that worked once before.

O t t o
OTTODAD
Very Active Forum Member

Postby vidal on Mon Dec 12, 2005 4:03 pm

Hi Otto et al

XCOPY is present and working, and I can confirm that all of the files are present in the default routes. I've reinstalled Xtracks and Tsection (just in case)

I've renamed to .cmd as instructed by Otto - with no effect.

As disc space is cheap I wonder whether I should copy over all the env files (from all 6 routes). I think I would do this as a copy all rather than following the .bat file as I can see this one going belly up! Is this feasible?

James
vidal

Postby mikesimpson on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:02 pm

Just check that your InstallMe.bat is in the correct place, i.e. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\Routes\BD1 (assuming on drive c:\)

And that you have not got another folder level in there like
Routes\Routes\BD1

As it is showing File not found (0) files copied, it is apparently not seeing any of the default files which it would do if the Default routes are at the same level in the path as the BD1 is?

Mike.
mikesimpson
Very Active Forum Member

Postby vidal on Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:28 pm

Finally got it licked, so to speak. Completely deleted the BD1 folder, did a clean MSTS and BD install on a works laptop (naughty, naughty :D ).

Then copied over the BD1 folder from the laptop to my main 'puter. Deleted the laptop install, can't let the IT stormtroopers from work have any excuse to bleat about unreasonable use!

Jobs a good 'un. Still can't work out why xcopy aint working though.

Many thanks for all your help.

James
vidal

Postby jbilton on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:42 pm

Hi
I think it would have been better if you'd taken your none working desktop to one of your friendly "IT stormtroopers "........and asked if they could check to see what you've done to your operating system to stop your xcopy from working.
Rather than illegally breaking your company policy, which where I work, can be classed as gross misconduct, leading to dismissal.
Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby vidal on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:21 pm

Unfrotunately, John, this was not really an option, however as I work exclusively on nights, weekends and Bank holidays, all the IT people are at home on call. I've tried a local PC repair firm, whose only answer was to reformat the HD and reinstall XP. After confirming AV and spyware negative (£55 they wanted until I reminded them of their no fix-no fee terms)

I may try to ghost the C drive across to a space HD and see what happens. It is intriguing as XCOPY is working, as I wrote a small .bat file to check it this morning.

We do have a reasonable use policy at work, but some of the stuff I see at work makes me shudder when the internet usage logs are sent to heads of departments each month. There was even quite a thriving LAN gaming team in one of the "top floor" offices!

James
vidal

xcopy

Postby paragon on Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:13 pm

I am just posting this in case it helps anyone else. I had a problem that is similar to the one mentioned in this thread. Following reading it I added \xcopy on to the list in the "path" entry in
my computer\properties\advanced\environmental variables
ie on the bit that says value I used the edit option as is mentioned above and just added \xcopy on the end. I hope this helps someone else as my cds now install properly and thank you for the advice already in this thread.
paragon
Getting the hang of things now

Postby kyliel on Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:14 pm

thanks for that last entry, i had the same problem but doing that made every install.bat work.

Cheers

kyliel
kyliel
New to the Forums

Postby richard222 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:13 pm

If MSTS isn't on the C drive, that may cause problems
richard222 / Richard Jenkins
richard222
Very Active Forum Member

Postby OTTODAD on Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:53 pm

richard222 wrote:If MSTS isn't on the C drive, that may cause problems

Should not, providing the MSTS copy directory tree has the same branches as the main MSTS Train Simulator folder and all 6 MSTS default routes and the TEMPLATE folder are in it.

I have a basic MSTS copy on another drive partition I use for installing new routes only, test them and if all is O.K., transfer them to one of my other MSTS copies !

O t t o
OTTODAD
Very Active Forum Member

Return to [MSTS1] General MSTS Discussion