MSTS on Widescreen Monitors

New to Microsoft Train Simulator 1? Here's a good place to start and find out what it's all about!

Moderator: Moderators

MSTS on Widescreen Monitors

Postby Jonnie1972 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:22 pm

Hi
Been away from MSTS for about 2 years now, so Im abit stale on the game and subjects. Since then bought a new computer with a widescreen monitor.
My monitor is a Samsung 2232BW 22" widescreen, runs at 1650x1050 and MSTS on supports upto 1280x1024, when I run MSTS it looks naff, obviously new games like RS look great.
Does anyone know of anyway I can play MSTS, maybe in windowed mode, make the game look better, if I can run in windowed mode, how does one do that?

Any help as always is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Jonnie1972
Been on the forums for a while

Re: MSTS on Widescreen Monitors

Postby jbilton on Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:59 pm

"J:\Program files\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator\train.exe" -vm:w,800,600,32

Alter the drive, and window size/ resolution to what you want

Cheers
Jon
------------------------Supporting whats good in the British community------------------------
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby Jonnie1972 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Hi Jon
Your the man, thanks works great, maybe I`ll input different resolutions to see my best results, if I had the space would have dual monitor setup for MSTS.

Many thanks for your help. :D
Jonnie1972

Postby alalou on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Didn't knew that it was possible to do this! Great news I also got a 1650x1050 widescreen monitor.
Is there any way that I can find all the "train.exe" possible switchs?

thanks.
alalou

Postby phat2003uk on Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:40 pm

I just tried this for 1680x1050 and it looks like it's about to load in that resolution but switches to 800x600. I guess all this is to make MSTS a window so the picture doesn't distort?
Richard A Armstrong - Armstrong Powerhouse
---------------------------------------------------
Railway videos in High Definition:
http://www.youtube.com/user/phat2003uk
Railway photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/richa2002/
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Postby dkightley on Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:31 pm

I think you can only specify 4x3 standard resolutions, ie 800x600, 1024x768, etc
dkightley
Very Active Forum Member

Postby phat2003uk on Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:42 pm

Ah okay, is there anyway of creating the windowed MSTS with the RailDriver utility when you click 'Play'?
phat2003uk
SWTVR Assistant Manager

Postby lateagain on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Sorry to "Bump" this but after years of trouble free service my CTX 17"CRT Monitor finally expired with a rather nasty burning smell yesterday :cry: . Not bad as it was a throw out over 10 years ago from where I used to work :lol: .

Obviously with it looking as if MSTS2 will support widescreen and with widescreen becoming the "norm" for laptops and newer TFT monitors my one reservation is this "switchability" to run MSTS in it's correct aspect ratio.

Can you confirm that this works for 1024x768 or 1280x1024 (for those with BIG monitors...).

Also what are your Response Rate (the figure in m.s. that used to be "refresh rate on a CRT) and Contrast Ratio.

Anyone had any lack of success with this or peculiarities with the make of their monitor?

Any feedback appreciated. Even the ones at PC World who do know what they're talking about are unlikely to understand why the likes of us would want to run a programme in part of the screen.......can't think of anything else I could ask them to demonstarte like this either???

Any feedback appreciated.

Geoff
lateagain
Very Active Forum Member

Location: in the real world! feel free to join me. West London

Postby jbilton on Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Hi Geoff
Yes it will work so long as the video card and monitor support the size.
As to refresh rates, TFTs have a much lower level....mines 60Hz........but does not flicker
They also have a native screen res so will always look their best at that..........mines 1280x1024.
One thing you'll notice is your desktop blinds you but MSTS looks dark, you have to find the sweet spot between the two.
Or continually turn the brightness up and down.
Personally I deliberately bought a non widescreen panel, because running MSTS is what I do mainly.
If I watch a widescreen DVD I do it on the TV.
Cheers
Jon
jbilton
Very Active Forum Member

Postby lateagain on Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jon.

Well I for once I was forced to spend money by SWMBO :lol: ....on the grounds that having nicked my daughters monitor was "not on".

On the chance that others find themselves in the same boat I'll share my experience.

I've got to take back by pessimism about PC World. :oops: I did a lot of research, ran through the pro's and cons of widescreen (I do have a serious use for it...nothing as fun as watching DVD's...opening several spreadsheets at once for work.... :oops: ......sorry about the four letter word :wink: ) and decided to go and look at what PC World had. I walked through the door and the very monitor I'd sort of decided on (well it was in my top 5) was on and right in front of me.....showing a sales promo networked into it and all the other monitors. It didn't look very sharp to me.....neither did my second slightly over budget choice. I was just getting thoroughly depressed when "a nice young man....a very nice man" asked if he could help. Being a bitter and twisted fully paid up GOG I said it would help me choose a monitor if it had something from a computer on it. Having explained I meant a spreadsheet.....NOT a music video, animation, film clip or other entertainment feature...he delved below the piles of boxes and came up with a keyboard and mouse. He switched the output to all the monitors and presto I had 20 odd desktops to look at. Realising I wasn't going to be fobbed off and that I could navigate a PC without shutting down the store's power supply he left me to play. I opened a spreadsheet (always good to test resolution, sharpness and distortion) and I drove SWMBO to distraction examining what was available. My top two choices (Magazine recomendations at that) were very disappointing. They had a distinct "shadow" were not very sharp and the menu's were difficult to navigate. Then I found what I finally purchased. I'd written off anything with built in speakers, web cams, TV tuners, drinks holders etc. etc. ....BUT there amongst the Monitor/TV's (more accurately a monitor with an analogue TV tuner built in...which will cease to work when analogue is discontinued) was a 20" widescreen which stood out like a sore thumb for its' clear image. A further play revealed easily accessible controls on the top of the monitor (with printed labels) and a quick scan through the menu showed that the aspect ratio was EASILY switchable between 4:3, 14:9 and 16:9 (although 14:9 is nearest to the real aspect TV wise). Well TV or no TV it was sharp had a great spec (only 5 m.s Pixel Response Time) but with a respectable 1680 x 1050 rsolution. TOP TIP here....don't be a "Burke" like me and go shopping without checking your graphics cards possible resolutions. :roll: As it happens my NVidea 6800 manages this BUT be warned. My old Ti4600 (top of the range in it's day) supports much higher resolutions but none of them widescreen. A Driver update might fix that. I'll check that out. At least with NVidea drivers you can always roll back to the previous one. So problem sorted for me and I thought I'd share my experience as a caution about being over impressed by reviews 8)

I would say this.
1) There were several really decent looking 4:3 monitors at less than 1/2 the price. (but I'd decided on going widescreen for other reasons)
2) You can get the same model at Amazon or Dabs £30 cheaper....but if it goes wrong you've the hassle of sending it back
3) The aspect ratio switch means that I haven't had to alter the MSTS .exe and I'm now able to run MSTS in the best resolution. The 5 m.s. refresh rate might worry the latest greatest games and graphics engines but MSTS still judders along as we've come to know and love it :wink:

I hate to recomend stuff in case it's not what you want... AND do bear in mind my Ist point. There are a lot of cheaper monitors out there (and a lot of VERY overpriced ones that make this look a bargain too) and doubtless as Analogue TV shuts down they'll practically give these away.

I ended up with an LG M208WA. See point 2...if you want one.

My daughters TV is also on it's last legs and I've tried this with a digital box (It has a scart, Analogue and DVI monitor connector, Phono Video and Audio connectors....AND ALL THE CABLES in the box...well impressed with that :D ) so I might even invest in a second one for her Christmas present as it's about £100 cheaper than a 19" widescreen TV with onboard Digital tuner...and if you've already got a set top box...

Back to Jon's point.

Yep! I've found my sunglasses now so I can type this :lol: . There are several colour/balance settings in the menu's on this model but the best way to set monitors up that I've got is a util from Adobe called "Adobe Gamma" I'm not sure if this is part of the OS, comes with Photoshop (which I've always had) or is a free download from Adobe. If It's in your Control Panel, and you don't have Photoshop and haven't downloaded it it's part of the Operating System I guess. There are probably other calibration and Colour balancing utils out there for graphics use? Anyway after a bit of fiddling around with custom menus and Adobe Gamma...MSTS is different. It's difficult to say HOW different because as Jon says you're blinded by the worktop's brilliance.

Having had to set up my daughters monitor to run on my machine (in order to go on line and research the replacement monitor) I discovered that her iiyama monitor was MUCH darker than my old CTX. After a lot of adjusting I still wasn't happy until I found a custom "Gamma" slider in the Adobe Gamma util. This works either by Wizard (OK for most monitors) or a manual mode. Apparently Windows default Gamma is 2.20, which is quite contrasty. Try adjusting this down in .05 or .10 increments to 1.80 (much below that will really start washing things out) and see if that helps the way MSTS displays.

Thanks for the original thread. Couldn't have been more timely from my point of view :D ...and thanks for the tips and feedback guys.

Geoff
lateagain
Very Active Forum Member

Location: in the real world! feel free to join me. West London

Postby steveenefer on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:00 am

Well when it comes to tft monitors it is said that the naked eye cannot see a pixel response time below 8ms now if this is tru i dont know, but many of the bigger widescreen tft/lcd screens i have been looking at have a response time of 5ms.

Im very tempted to go and get one also beens as my crt is on wobbley road to death atm
Steve
steveenefer
Well Established Forum Member

Postby Anonymizeruk on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:51 am

If it's of any help, my desktop TFT has a 7ms response time, and the picture is crystal clear.

A good way to really put the TFTs response through its paces is with dxdiag, and get it to run the DirectDraw tests :)
Anonymizeruk

Postby gallowhill on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:05 am

Hi,
I am also wanting to change the resolutions that MSTS has to offer so I have looked at Jon's post, however I don't appear to have any of the files that are required to change the res :( everytime I click on the train.exe file it just takes me into the game! Somebody please tell me what I am doing wrong,

Thanks in advance,

Danny
gallowhill
New to the Forums

Postby Lad491 on Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:30 am

Danny - you have to create a new shortcut to the game and modify the start up line under target to include the extra parameters Jon posted above, by right clicking and selecting properties. If you left click it the game will just start as you have found.
Lad491
Very Active Forum Member

Postby JunGRail on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:02 pm

Hi i know this is probably an old subject but please - In the same train.exe - how do you input new resolutions?

Also would it work well for 1440x900? No-ones mentioned that one yet 8)
JunGRail

Next

Return to [MSTS1] Help for Beginners