Caledonian Sleeper

Discussion relating to the operations of real railways together with the experiences of the people who work (or have worked) on them.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby simont on Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:50 pm

Nope- it goes through Falkirk and Stirling - stopping at most stations (some up only).
<- 87012 "Coeur de Lion"
simont
Very Active Forum Member

Postby nwallace on Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:34 pm

Ah, thanks
---------------------------------------
http://www.NiallWallace.co.uk

Pining for Windows for Workgroups 3.11
nwallace
Creator of fantasy routes that exist in his mind

Location: Secret Route Builders Castle Retirement Home (Fictional Wing)

Postby stuartpalmer on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:16 pm

barrybryce01475 wrote:
So far as I remember there are two trains - a Glasgow / Edinburgh (splits / joins at Carstairs) and an Aberdeen / Inverness / Fort William (splits/ joins at ?Edinburgh?)

There are indeed two trains - I have a feeling the Edinburgh/Glasgow one now splits/joins at Edinburgh, but I've only ever been on that one once.

The Inverness/Aberdeen/FWilliam leaves Euston as 16 coaches. Configuration, from the front, is 6 sleeper cars, lounge car, seated car, 6 sleeper cars (P,N,M,L,K,J) , lounge car, seated car (H). The rear 8 are for Inverness, I'm not sure how the front 8 are lettered, nor how they divide up between Aberdeen and FWilliam.

At Edinburgh, the train enters Platform 11/10 from the west. Class 67 goes on the back and what were the rear 8 coaches go off to Inverness, with coach H now leading. What happens then, I am not sure! I know they have to shunt in a seated coach (and possibly another lounge car?) along with the FWilliam section. Class 67 to Aberdeen and class 37 to FWilliam.

On the way south, the Inverness section starts with coach P leading. Quite how they organise the shunting at Edinburgh I'm not sure: the Inverness section usually ends up at the back of the combined train (with coach P now at the very back), but it depends a bit on who gets to Edinburgh first! I remember being right at the front once at Euston - which I guess means we must have been last into Edinburgh - but normally it's a long walk!
stuartpalmer
Well Established Forum Member

Postby stuartpalmer on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:25 pm

Just to add to the confusion (and before any heated arguments start) I should add that I do remember the Inverness portion ONCE being only 7 coaches (missing P, I think) - but every other time it's been 8.
stuartpalmer

Postby simont on Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:07 pm

Ah, that answers a lot of questions, thanks. I would guess then, that of the remaining 8 coaches (after the Inverness section has detached), that the easternmost 6 go to Aberdeen, leaving 2 sleepers, to which a lounge and BSO are added, and those 4 go to Fort William.
simont
Very Active Forum Member

Postby nwallace on Sat Jan 01, 2005 3:11 am

All makes sense, cheers

Better update the consists!
nwallace

Postby stuartpalmer on Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:38 am

Getting a bit off topic here, but (in the cold light of day) I think my recollection of the Glasgow/Edinburgh sleeper also merging at Edinburgh may be faulty. I now think that I was thinking of the (sadly no longer operated) Glasgow/Penzance, which started in Glasgow, travelled via Edinburgh, round the eastern loop to rejoin the Carstairs line, WCML to Birmingham, round the Bordesley loop and on to the South West. I mention all the loops because one of the attendants told me this was specifically done in order to avoid disorientating passengers by a change of direction while asleep. Nowadays, no one seems to worry about this!

Another point of interest/amusement on this particular trip was that I was woken at Birmingham by noise from construction workers doing overnight work on the station. I mentioned this to the steward in the morning. "Yes," he said, "they're supposed to stop working when the sleeper pulls in. Didn't you hear me shouting at them to be quiet?".
stuartpalmer

Postby barrybryce01475 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:31 pm

stuartpalmer wrote:At Edinburgh, the train enters Platform 11/10 from the west. Class 67 goes on the back and what were the rear 8 coaches go off to Inverness, with coach H now leading. What happens then, I am not sure! I know they have to shunt in a seated coach (and possibly another lounge car?) along with the FWilliam section. Class 67 to Aberdeen and class 37 to FWilliam.

Doing all the above could have made for a very interesting activity in MSTS if it had been possible!
barrybryce01475

Postby nwallace on Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:35 pm

From what i remember.

The rake is hauled past the points in the platform.

And the Diesels pick up their bits in order.

The carriages added to the Fort William sit somewhere else in the station and i think they are added by the loco that brought the full rake in
nwallace

Previous

Return to Real Railway Discussion